Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Flashing White Bars in Fullscreen

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Flashing White Bars in Fullscreen

Postby gagan.b » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:39 am

Hello,
I installed the latest FlightGear version on my new laptop (it says 2016.2.1) and when I load the game in full screen, there are flashing white bars across the bottom of my screen.

Here are my specs:
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit operating system
Intel Core i7-3520M CPU @ 2.90GHz (Dual Core)
16.0 GB RAM (15.9 GB usable)
Intel HD Graphics 4000

I've loaded the Cessna 172p at KSFO. I had TerraSync on and it downloaded the scenery while loading the aircraft/scenery etc.
I've also tried the same aircraft above Boundary Bay Airport (I searched for YVR and selected the only location available). Again, it downloaded the scenery while loading and I had the same issue.

The issue does not occur in Windowed Mode. But the window is too small for me to use comfortably and can't be resized.

I would provide screenshots but the white bars do not show up in the screenshots.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Gagan
gagan.b

Re: Flashing White Bars in Fullscreen

Postby Thorsten » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:32 am

Likely an overworked graphics card (or a driver issue).
Thorsten

Postby gagan.b » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:43 pm

Hmm that's strange. I can't even find a way to reduce the graphics settings. My laptop can play GTA IV and Fallout NV on High settings so FlightGear on medium shouldn't be an issue.
And I really hate the new interface. The window is too big and half the time I have to restart FlightGear because the Run button is off the screen. Can't resize the window, can't move it around.
gagan.b

Postby PINTO » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:11 pm

gagan.b wrote in Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:43 pm:And I really hate the new interface. The window is too big and half the time I have to restart FlightGear because the Run button is off the screen. Can't resize the window, can't move it around.

FGRun is still in the binary folder, if you'd prefer the old one.

Also, the graphics card you have isn't the greatest, and FG can be absolutely brutal on the graphics side. Try it on the lowest settings, and see if that helps. Also try forcing the frames per second to a lower value like 20.

Also, KSFO is pretty heavy on the frame rates. Try somewhere less brutal (KGEG or KNID comes to mind).
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby Thorsten » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:03 am

Hmm that's strange. I can't even find a way to reduce the graphics settings. My laptop can play GTA IV and Fallout NV on High settings so FlightGear on medium shouldn't be an issue.

I must have written that a thousand times by now ;-) When you render something from street level, there is a host of optimization techniques you can run because you'll never see the scene from most perspectives - houses will obscure others and you can just draw faraway objects on the skydome, you'll never go above the clouds so the sky can be 2d, you can transit from one 'level' to the next without anyone noticing,,...

Pretty much none of that works for a flightsim where you usually see all of the scene and objects do not obscure each other, you can reach above the clouds, etc.

So in terms of graphics card demands, a flightsim is probably the most challenging environment you can come up with. Which is to say, if you can run FG on high settings, GTA IV should not be an issue, not the other way round.
Thorsten

Postby gagan.b » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:40 pm

Thorsten wrote in Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:03 am:

I must have written that a thousand times by now ;-) When you render something from street level, there is a host of optimization techniques you can run because you'll never see the scene from most perspectives - houses will obscure others and you can just draw faraway objects on the skydome, you'll never go above the clouds so the sky can be 2d, you can transit from one 'level' to the next without anyone noticing,,...

Pretty much none of that works for a flightsim where you usually see all of the scene and objects do not obscure each other, you can reach above the clouds, etc.

So in terms of graphics card demands, a flightsim is probably the most challenging environment you can come up with. Which is to say, if you can run FG on high settings, GTA IV should not be an issue, not the other way round.

Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I feel like I should've known that.
Either way, I'm looking at ways to improve the graphics performance on this forum. As of now the game is unplayable for me, but I'll Make It Happen. :wink:
Thanks for your help guys.
gagan.b

Postby Hooray » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:07 pm

It also depends on whether DirectX or OpenGL is used by the application, and some GPUs/drivers are infamous for not tolerating the roundabout way in which FlightGear is using OpenGL (modern OSG code calling tons of legacy OpenGL code that is not too well integrated with the rest of the sim, which started out without using OSG)
In other words, to obtain a reasonable baseline, you should use other OpenGL software, ideally, even a benchmark - and consider looking at other OpenGL based flight sims, e.g. the freely available X-Plane demo.
If the issue disappears, it's likely something FG related, if it persists it's almost certainly unrelated to FlightGear - if in doubt, you could try lowering/disabling various rendering related settings (think shaders/effects) to see if that has any effect or not.
If the minimal startup profile (as detailed on the wiki) causes FlightGear to work without showing such white flashing bars, it's also likely something related to the way FlightGear is using your OpenGL setup
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Graphics