Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Scenery problems

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Scenery problems

Postby john_winchester » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:00 pm

PC information: HP ENVY TOUCHSMART
Configuration: CPU: Intel core i7 5500U (3.0GHz max) GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX850M (4GB dedicated vRAM), RAM:16GB DDR3@1600MHz, HDD:1TB standard + 250GB m.2 SSD, FHD touch screen, Windows 8.1 (home edition).
Problem description:

Terasync is configured correctly (at least I think it is, as it partially works).

Say I'm flying from Ramgoolam International (Mauritius) to Netaji Subash International (India), none of these airports are installed on my computer.
On starting the simulator it says "Downloading scenery", and then I'm placed on a nice runway in Mauritius, no problems. (hence terrasync has worked).
I take off and fly to Netaji subash in India, the MAP and GPS show I'm in the correct place, my aircraft (777-200ER) captures the localizer, intercepts the glide slope, but there's nowhere to land. The terrain is a dark patch, no airport, no runway. If I continue following the glide path, the system calls out "too low, pull up, too low pull up", and then if i ignore these callouts, the aircraft crashes into the dark patch and burns up.

The reverse is true as well, say i start from Netaji Subash (India) and fly to Ramgoolam (Mauritius), in this situation, terrasync downloads the netaji subash airport and places me on a nice shiny runway, but when i arrive to Ramgoolan intl in Mauritius, again there's nowhere to land.

I don't think m making a navigation error myself, as the GPS and MAP show that m hovering over the airport coordinates, and the aircraft captures the LOC and starts following the glidepath if AP is engaged and autoland is programmed).

This problem is NOT present if the DESTINATION airport is installed on the computer (say I'm flying from Ramgoolam intl to KSFO, KSFO, the destination, is preinstalled, and terrasync downloads the departure airport (Ramgoolam intl) fine. The problem shows up when my DESTINATION airport needs to be downloaded by terrasync,

Looks like a problem with terrasync, might be a problem with my graphics or something else, no idea.

Please help.
Thanks.
john_winchester

Re: Scenery problems

Postby sanhozay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Which version of Flightgear?

So you are saying that if you start at A and fly to B, you only see scenery at A? If you restart Flightgear at B and fly to A, you don't see scenery at A, even though you've been there before?

What if you do a flight at lower altitude, say a 100nm flight in a light aircraft?

Did you look at the log on the Scenery Download menu?

Another trick you can try, once you are established en route, is to go to View - Tower View and uncheck the use nearest tower box. Set the tower code to your destination and see if it will load if you switch to tower view. It can take 10-20s, so be patient. Then see if it is still there when you arrive.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:38 pm

sanhozay wrote in Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:25 pm:Another trick you can try, once you are established en route, is to go to View - Tower View and uncheck the use nearest tower box. Set the tower code to your destination and see if it will load if you switch to tower view. It can take 10-20s, so be patient. Then see if it is still there when you arrive.

in my self-built 2016.2.0 i have View->View Options... in there is a check box for "Tower View" but there is no where in there that i can see a field to fill in for the tower designation... i tried unchecking the "Tower View" option hoping that maybe a field would be added to the dialogue but nope, nothing...

FWIW: i've always tried to figure out which tower we're currently viewing from but that's a tough game to play when flying along...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:13 am

The reverse is true as well, say i start from Netaji Subash (India) and fly to Ramgoolam (Mauritius), in this situation, terrasync downloads the netaji subash airport and places me on a nice shiny runway, but when i arrive to Ramgoolan intl in Mauritius, again there's nowhere to land.

his problem is NOT present if the DESTINATION airport is installed on the computer (say I'm flying from Ramgoolam intl to KSFO, KSFO, the destination, is preinstalled, and terrasync downloads the departure airport (Ramgoolam intl) fine. The problem shows up when my DESTINATION airport needs to be downloaded by terrasync,

I don't understand the combination of these two statements. After you've flown from Mauritius to India, Ramgoolam was evidently downloaded and installed because you could take off. If you reverse the situation and from India to Mauritius, it means your destination is already downloaded. Yet from your description I gather this did not work as expected.

What I'm after is - is the scenery not downloaded, or is it not shown?

If it's not downloaded, then you'd probably see Ocean instead of something solid, whereas if the tile manager hangs, you see 'nothing' - the skydome - underneath and can't crash.

So from your description, it seems since you crash and burn the terrain is not downloaded, and therefore you crash into a default ocean patch. It may simply be a question of your connection speed in this case - if you don't have a fast internet connection, you can easily out-race the loading process. Pre-fetching the terrain would be the logical course of action then - although, as above, there's a contradiction in your statements as I understand them that makes it difficult to say whether that really is the probem.
Thorsten

Postby Johan G » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:11 am

My computer tend to be to weak to allow me to both fly FlightGear with TerraSync enabled (FlightGear would stutter and often freeze for a while when TerraSync fetches the next tile).

My way around that is to get the terrain prior to the flight, either by starting at the destination airport, or by using the graphical scenery manager TerraMaster (I have not used it for quite a while though as I have rather much scenery already installed).
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Minime44 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:55 am

I have same scenery problems it doesn't load for me I have Flightgear 2016.2.1
Minime44

Postby crestofawave » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:53 pm

can i but in here as i have a similar problem, and not wanting to start a new thread.
im a first time user of FG on my mac, and possibly my problem is...well i get no scenery other than where i take off, its just white, but is this because i need to input a destination and not just free fly?, how do i go about adding destinations? thanks for helping, always a bit confusing at the start
crestofawave

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:10 pm

@crestofawave: no, scenery is not dependent on where you are going... if you has a fast pipe to the internet and can use terrasync, that's the best way... otherwise you need to download the scenery to your machine and point your flightgear to it...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Graphics