Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Rembrandt Heavy FPS Drop (AMD)?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Rembrandt Heavy FPS Drop (AMD)?

Postby Müller » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi jaxsin,
Nvidia 700 series, many models do not know what your.
Avoid highly populated areas and you will be able to enjoy good flights in FG.
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby MIG29pilot » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:05 pm

Müller wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:50 pm: those who run with 10 or15fps have a little patience because I believe that one day this will improve with the development of the simulator...

And of course improvements in the next generation(s) of pcs.
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Thorsten » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:16 pm

It's a race you can't win, because I can add features to rendering faster than NVIDIA can make their hardware more powerful - we're actively holding back on what we do.

Anyway - often it's not a question of being able to run FG with 60 fps, it's a question of being able to run it with the desired visuals and goodies and still get 60 fps. With 16 km visibility and the fixed pipeline rendering (as FG was when I first met it) I used to get 300+ fps on my by now 8 year old former computer (the card didn't have vsync obviously...).

Of course these days I want 140+ km visibility, vegetation density 3, all procedural texturing goodies, clouds drawn to the horizon... and that costs extra.
Thorsten

Postby Müller » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:53 pm

turtle wrote in Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:20 pm:I have a R9 Fury (Strix Edition) which I consider should be able to run FlightGear with all the eye-candy just fine. However, when I launch the simulator I am getting 20-25 FPS in it's default configuration. I went ahead and turned off Rembrandt, and now I am seeing 50-60 FPS.

I'm curious to know if this is an AMD or Nvidia issue, or just Rembrandt being tough to run in general?

I might be getting a new graphics card this year, so I want to know what I will be losing with FlightGear before I buy.

Surely you will come to a conclusion after reading all posts.
I7-8700k - MSi Z370 Plus Sli - Galax RTX 2070 - G.Skill 16gb 3000mhz - SSD MX 500 -500gb, Hd 1tb Seagate, HD 2tb Wd - WC Corsair H100iv2 - Corsair RM 650 - Monitor 24'' Asus - Gab.Aerocool 800
Müller

Postby Hooray » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:23 pm

Besides, there's no such thing as a "default configuration" with Rembrandt enabled, it is disabled by default for a reason.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby MIG29pilot » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:55 pm

Did you say that default settings are disabled by default?????
MIG29pilot

Callsign: MIG29pilot
Version: 2020.1.3

Postby Johan G » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:12 pm

I think he just meant that Rembrandt is disabled by default and have to be "opted in" to be enabled. ;)

Besides, I think it would be an insurmountable task to set up FlightGear settings so that FlightGear never uses any set up settings when starting. :lol: ;)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby turtle » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Hooray wrote in Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:23 pm:Besides, there's no such thing as a "default configuration" with Rembrandt enabled, it is disabled by default for a reason.

I could be wrong, but my installation had it on by default. Maybe saved files from a former installation?
turtle

Previous

Return to Graphics