Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

DHC-6 Gray-out panel & window issue

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

DHC-6 Gray-out panel & window issue

Postby pennington » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:54 pm

I'd like very much to fly the DHC-6 Twin Otter and have tried three different versions of the aircraft model, but each one has errors. In general, either the windscreen and windows are grayed out, the panel instruments are grayed out, or both. The version I'm using now, it's the windows. I've attached a screenshot that shows both the issue, and the Log file where it specifies errors in finding the various glass effects files (although some of them are present in the model folder).

The first model came from GitHub and was called dhc6-master, the second came from the Legacy downloads page (instruments and windows grayed out), and the third model, which I am currently trying to use, came from pattenflightgear.wifeo.com (windows grayed out).

I am very new to FlightGear and would appreciate any help.

FG: v3.4.0
Graphics: Intel integrated
Only certain aircraft, any location
No output to the console

pennington

Re: DHC-6 Gray-out panel & window issue

Postby legoboyvdlp » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:33 am

Afraid you need the 3.5, 3.6 or 3.7 for that.
Sorry!
Someone will help you for Linux; or else if you happen to have a windows emulator or something, if such a thing exists, you can go to http://download.flightgear.org/builds/ ightly
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby massima » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:29 am

Try the Saikrishna Arcot PPA repo (here).
massima

Callsign: M-AXX
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Thorsten » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:49 am

Aircraft in general need to be matching the core FG version as both flight dynamics code and visual effects change, i.e. an aircraft running on a FG version which is not matching the aircraft version tag might not run.

In the event of the opaque windows, the cause is an effect for better rendering of glass which I added after FG 3.4 - any aircraft requiring that effect from 3.4 will not find its definition and fall back to a default rendering which happens to be opaque.

If you are just interested in using FG as an end user, the recommended practice is to stick to stable (even-numbered) versions - the next stable will be 3.6, probably available within a few days and on standard Linux repositories with the following Linux distribution update cycle. The matching aircraft collection to the various FG versions is available from www.flightgear.org on the download section.

Any other third party hangars (i.e. any source not www.flightgear.org or the FGAddon SVN repository) may or may not provide correct versioning - we have no way of knowing what the state of these aircraft are, and we do not officially support them, it's up to the provider of such aircraft to help you in case of problems.

If you feel adventurous or feel you absolutely need to fly the latest DHC-6 version, there are various ways, ranging from removing the effect calls from the aircraft file to compiling a development version of FG yourself, but they all require some patience and familiarity with coding - not sure what your background is.
Thorsten

Postby pennington » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Thank you all for the responses!

Think I'll wait in hopes that 3.6 is released soon (good info on the even-numbered releases being stable, glad to know that!). If I just have to fly the Twin Otter in the meantime, I can always use the external views :)
pennington

Return to Graphics