Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Strange conical "circus tent" artifacts..

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Strange conical "circus tent" artifacts..

Postby bugman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:21 am

Actually, if you want to keep your settings, don't use rm, instead:

Code: Select all
$ mv ~/.fgfs ~/.fgfs_backup
bugman

Version: next

Postby bugman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:03 am

Some more info, I have added the 3 missing textures from a TerraSync directory directly into FGData:

$ git status
[snip]
Untracked files:
  (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)

Models/Airport/EDXW_lamp_10m_01.png
        Models/Maritime/Military/steam.png
        Models/Trees/large_tree_erected.png

no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
$

However this does not fix the circus tent issue. Maybe the problem is related to the 'fcs' failure message.

Regards,

Edward
bugman

Postby Hooray » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:17 am

Just to be sure, I would suggest to review your camera settings, because the screen shot you posted looks similar to this:

http://wiki.flightgear.org/FlightGear_W ... r#Approach
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby caliberza » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:28 am

bugman wrote in Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:49 pm:Hi,

I've seen the same thing today after deleting the ~/.fgfs cofiguration directory and then running FG with TerraSync disabled on the command line. Some objects were reported missing from FGData in the logs - this information is key (if you can copy and paste it, that'd be extremely useful). I might look into it later.

Regards,

Edward

Here's what I get, running with terrasync disabled:
Enabling ATI viewport hack
default catalog not found, installing 'org.flightgear.default' from 'http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/3.5.0/default-catalog.xml'.
Failed to tie property fcs/ to object methods

In file /home/daniel/Shared/Linux/Games/FlightGear/flightgear-fgdata/Aircraft/c172p/Systems/c172p-hydrodynamics.xml: line 25
      Property floats-enabled-norm is already defined.
Animated jetways ... initialized
KMA20 audio panel initialized
Hobbs system stopped
Hobbs system stopped
Starter off
KI266 dme indicator #0 initialized
catalog download failure:http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/3.5.0/default-catalog.xml
Primer reset to 0
Electrical system initialized
osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "EDXW_lamp_10m_01.png"

osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "large_tree_erected.png"

Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'terminal_2'
Could not find at least one of the following objects for animation: 'terminal_2'

Failed to load xml: no element found
 at /home/daniel/.fgfs/runtime-jetways/4.xml,
line 1, column 0
Failed to load model: no element found
 at /home/daniel/.fgfs/runtime-jetways/4.xml,
line 1, column 0
Starter on
Hobbs system started
Starter off
Hobbs system stopped
Primer reset to 0
Hobbs system started
Flap Volts: 28
osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "beacon_white.png"

osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "beacon_white2.png"

caliberza

Callsign: caliber
Version: Git

Postby bugman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:13 pm

Hooray wrote in Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:17 am:Just to be sure, I would suggest to review your camera settings, because the screen shot you posted looks similar to this:

That is exactly the problem. It is a worry that the following two commands are sufficient to trigger this:

$ fgfs --disable-terrasync

We need to work out what TerraSync pulls down and add this directly to FGData. That way this issue will never appear for those with no internet connection or have TerraSync disabled. This should be a piece of cake to fix! Any ideas what the missing data file could be?

Regards,

Edward
bugman

Postby clrCoda » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:58 pm

I almost never use TerraSync (to mean that I've turned terrasync on so few times it might as well be statistically insignificant) but I've also never seen this issue. I rarely use Rembrandt either. I'm liking Hooray's description of the problem.

--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby bugman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:34 pm

clrCoda wrote in Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:58 pm:I almost never use TerraSync (to mean that I've turned terrasync on so few times it might as well be statistically insignificant) but I've also never seen this issue. I rarely use Rembrandt either. I'm liking Hooray's description of the problem.

The default when someone first uses FlightGear should however just work, and not require the user to adjust settings. It could have something to do with the video card/driver (Radeon HD 6450, linux open source driver). However the fact that the FGData scenery has the problem but the TerraSync downloaded world scenery fixes the problem indicates that it should be fixable in FGData by just copying over the appropriate data file(s). For the following, in the first fgfs instance you see circus tents, in the second you don't, and in the third you also don't:

$ mv ~/.fgfsrc ~/.fgfsrc_backup
$ fgfs
$ rm -rf ~/.fgfs
$ mv ~/.fgfs_backup ~/.fgfs
$ mv -f ~/.fgfsrc_backup ~/.fgfsrc

Do you not see the same thing Ray if you type these exact commands? The tents are centred on the lamps, however there is nothing in the ~/.fgfs/fgfs.log file or console output about such a problem. I fixed all the missing texture messages by copying the TerraSync files into my FGData copy, but the issue lies elsewhere.

Regards,

Edward

*EDIT: Added commands to disable the fgfs config file as well.
bugman

Postby caliberza » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:24 pm

Well here's something I've noticed: the Scenery directory which comes with the git "fgdata" has no "Models" subdirectory.. (at least not on my system).
If I copy the entire "models" directory verbatim from my terrasync dir across to the base fgdata, then it removes this issue, obviously there's a sight more in there than needed due to my having flown in areas other than San Francisco - however clearly something in there makes the problem go away.

I can't claim to be an expert on FG data format but a cursory inspection of the files in the scenery directories, reveal a lot of files with lines like:
OBJECT_SHARED Models/Airport/windsock_lit.xml -122.498341 37.719856 -9999.0 0.00

It seems pretty clear to me that this is a reference to a shared model in the model directory..
A simple grep like: grep "Models/" * -R within the scenery directory shows hundreds of lines like this..

Obviously I may be way off here, please excuse me if I am.. :oops:
caliberza

Postby bugman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:31 pm

caliberza wrote in Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:24 pm:Well here's something I've noticed: the Scenery directory which comes with the git "fgdata" has no "Models" subdirectory.. (at least not on my system).
If I copy the entire "models" directory verbatim from my terrasync dir across to the base fgdata, then it removes this issue, obviously there's a sight more in there than needed due to my having flown in areas other than San Francisco - however clearly something in there makes the problem go away.

Great! This is a perfect test. Time to now randomly nuke stuff in this new Scenery/Models directory until the 1 or 2 important files have been identified :) Once we know what it is, then this can be fixed in the FGData/Models directory.
bugman

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:56 pm

Would you guys mind inspecting the log files? There's probably a shader issue involved here (an object which ought to be transparent really isn't). Shader errors don't necessarily make it to the console (it depends on log level settings).

The mesh is there (otherwise you wouldn't see anything) so we're not looking for a missing model, I doubt we're after a missing texture either since this is very likely a Rembrandt light volume which makes no sense to texture in the first place.

This is however precisely what you see if an effect doesn't render but you instead get to see its bounding box mesh.

(Oh, Hooray will chide me again for attributing all problems to rendering... but I risk venturing this guess anyway).
Thorsten

Postby caliberza » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:11 pm

Well, maybe it really is a shader issue or something, but disabling them (or lowering the slider such as I can) makes no difference.

After some "diffing" between FGRoot/Models and terrasync/Models, I have narrowed it down to a single file that makes this come or go: Models/Airport/apt-light-ba.ac
If I use the one from terrasync it's perfect, use the one from git fgdata and presto I get the circus tents. :p

Perhaps inspecting this model will reveal some difference to the trained eye?
caliberza

Postby caliberza » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:18 pm

For what it's worth:

Log file when the error is present:
default catalog not found, installing 'org.flightgear.default' from 'http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/3.5.0/default-catalog.xml'.

In file /home/daniel/Shared/Linux/Games/FlightGear/flightgear-fgdata/Aircraft/c172p/Systems/c172p-hydrodynamics.xml: line 25
Hobbs system stopped
Hobbs system stopped
Starter off

catalog download failure:http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/3.5.0/default-catalog.xml
Primer reset to 0

osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "steam.png"

Log file when it's not (achieved by replacing the file in my previous post):

Hobbs system stopped
Hobbs system stopped
Starter off

Primer reset to 0

osgDB ac3d reader: could not find texture "steam.png"
caliberza

Postby bugman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:29 pm

Thorsten wrote in Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:56 pm:Would you guys mind inspecting the log files? There's probably a shader issue involved here (an object which ought to be transparent really isn't). Shader errors don't necessarily make it to the console (it depends on log level settings).

Hi,

In my logs, I see absolutely nothing about this:

[edward@localhost test1]$ grep -i "shade\|eff\|miss\|fail\|error" fgfs_1.log | grep -v "^ai:4"
autopilot:3:/flightgear/src/u-edauvergne-flightgear/src/Autopilot/autopilotgroup.cxx:201:Reading property-rule configuration from /flightgear/flightgear-fgdata/Aircraft/c172p/Systems/ground-effects.xml
systems:3:/flightgear/src/u-edauvergne-flightgear/src/Aircraft/flightrecorder.cxx:266:FlightRecorder: Recording non-existent property '/environment/aircraft-effects/cabinairtempC'.
systems:3:/flightgear/src/u-edauvergne-flightgear/src/Aircraft/flightrecorder.cxx:266:FlightRecorder: Recording non-existent property '/environment/aircraft-effects/surfacetempC'.
systems:3:/flightgear/src/u-edauvergne-flightgear/src/Aircraft/flightrecorder.cxx:266:FlightRecorder: Recording non-existent property '/environment/aircraft-effects/cabinairdewpointC'.
systems:3:/flightgear/src/u-edauvergne-flightgear/src/Aircraft/flightrecorder.cxx:266:FlightRecorder: Recording non-existent property '/environment/aircraft-effects/cabin-heat-set'.
systems:3:/flightgear/src/u-edauvergne-flightgear/src/Aircraft/flightrecorder.cxx:266:FlightRecorder: Recording non-existent property '/environment/aircraft-effects/cabin-air-set'.
general:5:/flightgear/src/flightgear-simgear/simgear/package/Catalog.cxx:93:catalog download failure:http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/3.5.0/default-catalog.xml
io:4:/flightgear/src/u-edauvergne-flightgear/src/Network/HTTPClient.cxx:79:refresh of Catalog http://fgfs.goneabitbursar.com/pkg/3.5.0/default-catalog.xml failed:4
[edward@localhost test1]$

It is very strange!

Thorsten wrote in Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:56 pm:The mesh is there (otherwise you wouldn't see anything) so we're not looking for a missing model, I doubt we're after a missing texture either since this is very likely a Rembrandt light volume which makes no sense to texture in the first place.

This is however precisely what you see if an effect doesn't render but you instead get to see its bounding box mesh.

(Oh, Hooray will chide me again for attributing all problems to rendering... but I risk venturing this guess anyway).

I find it also strange that in the c172p, you can bounce off / crash into these objects. Maybe this is normal behaviour for an incorrectly set up shader.

Regards,

Edward
bugman

Postby bugman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:35 pm

caliberza wrote in Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:11 pm:Well, maybe it really is a shader issue or something, but disabling them (or lowering the slider such as I can) makes no difference.

After some "diffing" between FGRoot/Models and terrasync/Models, I have narrowed it down to a single file that makes this come or go: Models/Airport/apt-light-ba.ac
If I use the one from terrasync it's perfect, use the one from git fgdata and presto I get the circus tents. :p

Perhaps inspecting this model will reveal some difference to the trained eye?

I can confirm that the following single command fixes this bug:

$ cp /flightgear/home/.fgfs/TerraSync/Models/Airport/apt-light-ba.ac /flightgear/flightgear-fgdata/Models/Airport/apt-light-ba.ac
bugman

Postby bugman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:05 pm

Hi caliberza,

Do you have a SourceForge login? If so, would you like to create a detailed bug report for the record and then make a merge request? A merge request would require you to fork FGData, create a new branch for the bug fix, copy the TerraSync file to Models/Airport/apt-light-ba.ac and make a commit (with a link in the commit message pointing to this forum thread as well as the bug report), and then click on the 'Request Merge' button in the SourceForge web interface to ask for it to be merged. It should then be fixed in time for FG v3.6. If this is too much of an adventure for you, there are plenty of others here who can do this for you (the bug report should be easy enough though).

Regards,

Edward
bugman

PreviousNext

Return to Graphics