Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Exist an overclocking program for my graphic card?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Exist an overclocking program for my graphic card?

Postby brozma » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:35 am

Hello everyone, I need your help! After installing Flight Gear 3.2.0 and starting up Flight Gear, I noticed the excessive drop of FPS (to 6 FPS) and gameplay was very laggy. I think that's because of my graphic card. I think, I overladed it and I want to overclock it for higher FPS. (I want to increase FPS to 20) But I don't know, which program is good for overclocking my graphic card and where can I download it. Do you know somebody? It would be good, if somebody teach me how to overclock graphic card without risk of overheating the graphic card(If I overclock graphic card too much it can overheat and laptop graphic cards is sensitive to this) or seeing BSOD (If I want to underclock it to normal, I can cause BSOD) and how much I have to overclock it to increase FPS to 20.

Operation system: Windows 8.1
Type of my graphic card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Flight Gear version: FG 3.2.0
I have one clever sentence to tell you: Don't overload the aircraft or you don't takeoff.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and I am learning English.
brozma

Callsign: VPR955, OK-GFH
Version: 2017.1.1.

Re: Exist an overclocking program for my graphic card?

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:44 am

Your graphics card is not particularly suitable/powerful for running an OpenGL simulator/game -like FlightGear in addition, FlightGear is not particularly optimized for graphics cards like yours (with most developers using NVIDIA/ATI based hardware due to better support and overall performance, which is also why most testing happens with a focus on NVIDIA/ATI) - also, FlightGear is generally not very optimized in many places, and it contains quite a few hard-coded issues that may heavily affect how well it performs for you.

Basically, it is incredibly easy to end up with an unusable FlightGear installation by mis-configuring FlightGear.

In fact, depending on your platform/hardware, not even the default startup settings may work too well for you.
Furthermore, changing a few of these default settings (e.g. by selecting a more complex aircraft like the 777 and more complex scenery/visuals) may easily render FlightGear unusable even on fairly recent, and powerful, hardware. In addition, there are other settings like certain effects/shaders, or Rembrandt (deferred rendering) that will have a massive impact on performance, too.

Which is to say that over-clocking your GPU is almost certainly not the correct solution.
It would be better to work through the advice collected at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Troubleshoot ... nce_issues

To get some baseline data to work with, you can use the startup profile detailed at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Troubleshoot ... up_profile

This will disable all FlightGear eye-candy, and most subsystems that can be disabled - it will look very plain and basic, but it can be used to give you an idea about the degree of performance that can be realistically expected:

If the minimal startup profile still provides poor performance, your hardware/OS needs to be checked - e.g. to see if some kind of antivirus scanner might be running all the time, or to see if your OS is swapping to disk already. Equally, in power-saving mode, most GPUs will provide poor performance - on systems with hybrid graphics (Optimus), performance may also be mediocre.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby onox » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:10 am

On my HD 4000 it helps to make sure Rembrandt is disabled:

Code: Select all
--disable-rembrandt

and disable the clouds completely:

--prop:/sim/rendering/draw-mask/clouds=0

Also make sure that you hide any GUI windows, even the menubar will give you a performance hit. So hide it with F10.

Last thing I did is allowing FlightGear to use multiple cores:

--prop:/sim/rendering/multithreading-mode=CullThreadPerCameraDrawThreadPerContext
Last edited by onox on Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
onox
Retired

Postby sanhozay » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:22 am

How much memory do you have? If 4GB or less you will need to ajust LOD bare to reduce memory consumption. Swapping is painful and will kill your framerate whatever graphics card you have.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:39 am

onox wrote in Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:10 am:On my HD 4000 it helps to disable Rembrandt:
--disable-rembrandt

@onox: Rembrandt should be enabled by default - so, just to be clear: are you suggesting that, even with Rembrandt being not explicititly enabled, that disabling it using --disable-rembrandt does indeed have any noticeable effect on your system ? If so, that should be reported at the tracker so that this can be reviewed, because if that's indeed the case - this would seem to suggest that some kind of Rembrandt related init code is lingering around in the default rendered, without that ever having been intended obviously.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby onox » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Hooray wrote in Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:39 am:@onox: Rembrandt should be enabled by default - so, just to be clear: are you suggesting that, even with Rembrandt being not explicititly enabled, that disabling it using --disable-rembrandt does indeed have any noticeable effect on your system ? If so, that should be reported at the tracker so that this can be reviewed, because if that's indeed the case - this would seem to suggest that some kind of Rembrandt related init code is lingering around in the default rendered, without that ever having been intended obviously.

Sorry, that's not what I meant. I just added it just in case. Some people may not know that there are multiple rendering engines and may not be able to tell which rendering engine they're currently using. I've added to my .fgfsrc file so I can easily switch when doing experiments.
onox
Retired

Postby sanhozay » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:07 pm

Rembrandt is disabled by default isn't it? I assume that's just a typo.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:25 pm

right, it probably would make sense to expose Rembrandt being active/inactive via the help/about dialog, which should be trivial to do - given that it's just a property.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

My graphic card is not compatible? OH NO!!!

Postby brozma » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:27 pm

So that, I understood from these texts is, My graphic card is not compatible with Flight Gear and that means only one thing: I can remove Flight Gear from my laptop and unregister myself from this forum! But I think there's a way how to get out of this. But try explain me that more concise, because I'm laic about Hardware and Software.
I have one clever sentence to tell you: Don't overload the aircraft or you don't takeoff.
Sorry for my bad English. I am Czech and I am learning English.
brozma

Callsign: VPR955, OK-GFH
Version: 2017.1.1.

Postby Hooray » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:30 pm

nope, you mis-understood.
You should read again - if in doubt, use google translate to have all responses/wiki advice translated to your native language.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Graphics