Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

how to change menus for best performance  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

how to change menus for best performance

Postby vegan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:08 pm

Could someone help me figure out what to change in the menus to keep flightgear from crashing? Thanks! I mean to keep performance and framerate at a minimum

Please, use simple language and instructions.

I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 Flightgear version 3.0.0 I don't know how to find out what video I have. I know it is onboard video, so I guess it must be part of my chipset. I researched getting a graphics card, but all of the ones recommended on this webpage required me to upgrade my power supply, and I don't know how to do that.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Supported_Video_Cards
vegan

Re: how to change menus for best performance

Postby sanhozay » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:01 pm

vegan wrote in Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:08 pm:Could someone help me figure out what to change in the menus to keep flightgear from crashing? Thanks! I mean to keep performance and framerate at a minimum

Does Flightgear crash or does it run too slowly? If it crashes, does it always crash or only sometimes?

I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 Flightgear version 3.0.0 I don't know how to find out what video I have.

Open a terminal and type "lspci" (without the quotes). This shows information about your hardware, including video.

While you have the terminal window open, type "free". This shows how much memory you have.

Now type "head /proc/cpuinfo". This shows information about your processor.

For example:

Code: Select all
vegan:~$ lspci
vegan:~$ free
vegan:~$ head /proc/cpuinfo

Copy and paste the output of these commands into your reply (where I have shown "...").

Also try to answer the other questions in the pink box:

- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
Last edited by sanhozay on Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:01 pm

if it's crashing, please see the 4th link in the red box at the top of your thread.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby vegan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:23 pm

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 1
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) PCI Express Root Port 3
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev 90)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JIR (ICH10R) LPC Interface Controller
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SATA AHCI Controller
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10 Family) SMBus Controller
01:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 03)

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 6076992 1229332 4847660 92468 49956 706472
-/+ buffers/cache: 472904 5604088
Swap: 6254588 0 6254588

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 23
model name : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0xa0b
cpu MHz : 1203.000
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
vegan

Postby vegan » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:32 pm

does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?

I didn't try too many times. It causes a system freeze and I have to restart. What did prevent the crash was changing the screen resolution.

Following your instructions was quite satisfying. I didn't know I could copy and paste from the terminal, like that.

is there any output printed to the console (black window)?

I don't understand.

copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).

What's an FGrun?

I clicked on the 4th link as Hooray suggested. I didn't understand a lot of it. Can you just manually change the frame rate to a go slower, so the system won't get taxed too much? I also found the controls to change from a 3-D cockpit to a 2-D one. I don't know if that will put less pressure on the CPU and onboard video.
vegan

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:38 am

Well, I am afraid, you gotta work through the instructions listed above, or we won't be of much assistance unfortunately
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby vegan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:52 am

There is a top menu, with File, Menu, Location, Environment, Equipment, AI, Multiplayer, Debug, Help, Cessna 172

On this file, what do I click into and what do I change to not stress the video card as much?

Is it possible to issue a command on the CLI that will change the frame rate of the program, so it will take up less system resources? If so, what is it?

Does the 2-D cockpit cause less stress on the video card and CPU than the 3-D cockpit?
vegan

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:58 am

vegan wrote in Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:52 am:Is it possible to issue a command on the CLI that will change the frame rate of the program, so it will take up less system resources? If so, what is it?

Does the 2-D cockpit cause less stress on the video card and CPU than the 3-D cockpit?

Like I said previously, all of your questions are extensively covered here: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Debugg ... up_profile
This also details CLI/fgfsrc settings that you can use to start up FlightGear in a more basic mode, which includes a really simple aircraft, and a location without any heavy scenery.
This should provide you with a "baseline" for customizing other settings, as well as determining if your setup is generally working as expected, or if you are having OpenGL/graphics related problems

FlightGear should look really plain and simple, but it should be really fast and steady performance-wise:

(500+ fps and 7ms frame spacing)
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby vegan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:12 am

Thanks Hooray! I installed fgrun with the CLI. Then, I was able to change some settings. Do the settings remain changed, once you set them, or do you have to open fgrun each time and set them?

I have a couple more questions, though, before I want to mark it. How do you find the video card dialog boxes, like the ones shown in the example for Nvidia?

How do I mark this thread as solved?
vegan

Postby vegan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:20 am

I don't know what the name of the file is to edit or what to copy and paste into the file to get it to give me a basic setup or if that is even necessary, with fgrun. But, instructions on how to do all of that might be beyond the scope of this simple forum question. Would I be bugging the people on the forum if I try to ask more detailed questions, later on, after I have had a chance to fiddle with some of this stuff?

How do I find this in all that mess to compare it? Is that in the lspci command?

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Problematic_Video_Cards
vegan

Postby vegan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:26 am

That's good enough. I was able to edit the configuration file FG_ROOT with nano. I cut and pasted that text. I can mark this thread as solved.
vegan

Postby sanhozay » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:21 am

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
Mem: 6076992
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz

From your specifications (well done for digging into the command line), I would say you have enough memory (6GB) and a decent enough processor (3.2GHz). The weakness is probably your integrated graphics controller (it's on the motherboard rather than a separate higher-performing card).

If your video card is picking up a generic Linux driver, you will probably not find a dialog like the NVIDIA drivers have. You might try running the "Additional Drivers" tool from system settings and see if there are proprietary drivers available. The Mint forums probably have information about doing that and how to get the best 3D acceleration. With integrated graphics, don't expect to be able to do too much.

If you can get Flightgear running, you can at least decide if you want to go down the route of upgrading your video card. You might be able to get something mid-range that doesn't have power requirements such that you would need to upgrade your power supply. Assuming this is a desktop computer, adding a video card is relatively simple.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby Hooray » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:21 pm

there's also the help/about dialog to see what graphics card FG is using
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to Graphics