Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Bump-mapping not working in ALS

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Bump-mapping not working in ALS

Postby flyingfisch » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:37 pm

When I disable ALS, bump-mapping looks fine, but when I enable it t it stops working. Is this a problem with ALS?
Beechcraft A35 Bonanza
Wiki Page
GitHub Repo
Improving the 737-300
Forum Thread
All my projects
flyingfisch

IRC name: ffisch
Version: 3.0

Re: Bump-mapping not working in ALS

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:57 am

No, the bumpmap shader is legacy code and (intentionally) not supported in either Rembrandt or ALS. Aircraft modelers are advised to use the normal map functionality of model-combined-deferred.eff these days instead which offers more options and is supported by all rendering schemes.
Thorsten

Postby flyingfisch » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:23 pm

Hmm, is it very simple to change the legacy bump-map on planes like the Cessna 337 to a normal map?
Beechcraft A35 Bonanza
Wiki Page
GitHub Repo
Improving the 737-300
Forum Thread
All my projects
flyingfisch

Postby Thorsten » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:39 pm

I frankly don't know for sure, I've never worked much with normal map textures - but I suspect the answer is yes, it's not like we want to generate a heightmap, it's just the distortion of the normal. What happens if the bumpmap is just used 'as is'?
Thorsten

Postby hvengel » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:28 pm

There are differences in the old normal map effect and the newer normal map effect from the model-combined-deferred.eff shader but for the most part these are minor. Both use the same type of normal map texture, which is the hard part, and you already have that. So it is more a matter of setting this up to use model-combined-deferred.eff and there are some differences in how things are specified in the config XML. I think you used the reflection effect from model-combined-deferred.eff in your Bonanza cockpit for the panel so this should not be too difficult for you to get this going.
hvengel
Retired

Postby flyingfisch » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:13 am

I will try updating these aircraft sometime soon, but for the next couple weeks I am going to be busy so no time to do it then.
Beechcraft A35 Bonanza
Wiki Page
GitHub Repo
Improving the 737-300
Forum Thread
All my projects
flyingfisch

Return to Graphics