Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

OSG 3.0.1 -> 3.2.0 cuts frame rate in half  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

OSG 3.0.1 -> 3.2.0 cuts frame rate in half  

Postby tikibar » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:22 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve performance with OpenSceneGraph 3.2. I built (from source) 2 instances of FG 3.0.1, one built against OSG 3.0.1 and one with OSG 3.2.0. With OSG 3.0.1, I was getting decent frame rates (~30 fps / under 50 ms). Using the FG build with OSG 3.2, the frame rate went down to around 15 fps and best spacing was ~75 ms. All the other settings (ALS, shader levels, real weather on, aircraft) were identical. The only difference was the OSG version.

For the record:
OS Ubuntu 10.04 64bit
FG 3.0.1
nVidia GTX 550
Problem tested with 747-8i/F, 757-200 (newer git version), and 777-300ER.
In both cases, console warning to upgrade my graphics driver from 290 to 300.

I get the same frame rate problem in FG-git, since OSG 3.2 is now required.

Cheers,
tikibar

Edit: I went ahead and upgraded the driver to 304. Performance with OSG 3.0.1 is even a little better now. OSG 3.2.0 frame rate/spacing is unchanged at best, and maybe a little worse.

Edit2: Fixed it. After upgrading the nVidia driver, I had to rebuild OSG 3.2.0 from source, then rebuild SimGear and FlightGear. Now getting acceptable frame rates in FG 3.0.1 and FG-git. Carry on.
Boeing 747-8 (rename folder to 747-8i)
Boeing 757-200/300 (rename folder to 757-200)
Boeing 767-300/ER (rename folder to 767-300)
tikibar

Callsign: CHT0009

Return to Graphics