Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

VERY LOW frame rates on osx

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: VERY LOW frame rates on osx

Postby adi96 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:35 am

jwocky: i have about 14 fps at 68 ms
adi96

Callsign: adi96
Version: 3.0.1

Postby adi96 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:43 am

gijs: this is my application support folder (i've followed instructions on wiki page), but there isn't any flight gear folder. Is it possible?

adi96

Postby bigstones » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:57 am

Jabberwocky wrote in Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:00 am:@bigstones: Try fgfs with the Seattle 777 and Re4mbrandt explicit off, now isn't that interesting?

What would happen? Right now I have the "summer" graphics card mounted (it's a small EN210), I fear I would just see the same <1 fps, or an insignificant difference. I said he's not in Rembrandt mode because the rendering dialogs shots show ALS as an option (in Rembrandt it's hidden).

Anyway, the About dialog should show the driver I think, and maybe say if there's a secondary, less powerful graphics card that's being used instead of the powerful one?
bigstones

Callsign: I-NOOB

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:02 pm

The thing is, the dialog says maybe ALS and that should be hidden, but if you compare how the cockpit looks and is displayed, I still suspect Rembrandt is active. Because they look exactly the same and how could that be if a plane is designed for Rembrandt and now should run without?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Postby punkepanda » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Hooray wrote in Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:21 am:ok, that one just made my day - you should get involved more often in the support forum and provide such highly-technical analyses :mrgreen:

I am truly sorry, but I really dont have all that time for doing that much support at the moment.

Punkepanda wrote in Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:21 am:
And that some crazy (unknown shit) is eating up TOO MUCH ressources for what it delivers.

Well... I still havent got a good explenation on why FG delivers so low framerates or what the real bottleneck is so I made up an answer for no developers to understand. :mrgreen:

Next time Hooray, please try to see the difference in professional support and sharing experiences.. You are the number ONE doing support on this forum.
I just try to give this poor fellow some hints in what he can try to improve his fps (I am in the same boat remember)
punkepanda

Callsign: LostFlight
Version: 2.12

Postby adi96 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 pm

I know to be ignorant about FG, but what is Rembrandt? Most important I would like to ask why I can't find the log file in the folder it supposed to be ( please see my last photo a few post over).

From what I understand from your replies my graphic card can't load a plane like 777 Seattle using Rembrandt, isn't it?
adi96

Postby punkepanda » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:58 pm

Rembrandt is a depricated rendering framework that delivers realtime shadows and other eye candy stuff. It looks really nice but it is not optimized so it comsumes most of your GPU power. To bad Rembrandt is no longer being developed and optimized.

You have a really powefull GFX card.. It should run FG in standard mode with good fps above 30 most of the time. Try with all settings to minimum and add "--disable-rembrandt" to the startup command
punkepanda

Postby hvengel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:36 pm

adi96 wrote in Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:33 pm:From what I understand from your replies my graphic card can't load a plane like 777 Seattle using Rembrandt, isn't it?

Your GPU is better than perhaps 90% of those running FlightGear. If everything were setup correctly it should run just about anything that FlightGear has to offer nicely. But for just about any set up, no matter how powerful the hardware, the 777 will tend to have significantly lower frames rates than most other aircraft and Rembrandt tends to cut frame rates by 1/3 to 1/2 compared to the other rending schemes. If you don't know what Rembrandt is and have not specifically enabled it in some way then you are almost for sure not using it.

Also your monitor is high res and this increases the GPU load to a certain extent although this would be incremental (IE. perhaps 10% compared to have an more "normal" monitor).

jwocky: i have about 14 fps at 68 ms

Is this with the C172? If that is the case then there is something very wrong with your set up. With your hardware you should see frame rates in the 40+ range with the C172 even in a high detail area with lots of clouds and with high eye candy settings.

I don't have access to a Mac with FG so I can't help with the log file location.
hvengel
Retired

Postby adi96 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:30 am

Is this with the C172? If that is the case then there is something very wrong with your set up. With your hardware you should see frame rates in the 40+ range with the C172 even in a high detail area with lots of clouds and with high eye candy settings.

Yes it is. This weekend I will be far from home and I will no access to my Mac until Monday. If this configuration is hard to be set we can talk with mumble in real time.

Note for Developers: I suggest to implement a function on installer that sets up automatically FG for optimal use like in other games.

@philosopher do you know something about FG log file in osx?
adi96

Postby Hooray » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:15 am

adi96 wrote in Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:30 am: you know something about FG log file in osx?

http://wiki.flightgear.org/$FG_HOME
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby adi96 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:08 am

Hooray it doesn't work because when I use the "go" function on finder it says me that can't find this folder. Is this guide correct?
adi96

Postby punkepanda » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:12 am

adi96 wrote in Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:08 am:Hooray it doesn't work because when I use the "go" function on finder it says me that can't find this folder. Is this guide correct?

I dont know OS X, but for linux its in .fgfs folder.

Try open your terminal.

type:
Code (): Select all
cd; cd .fgfs

remember the DOT before fgfs
ls -la

Whats in that folder?
Last edited by punkepanda on Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
punkepanda

Postby adi96 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:37 am

Ok thanks I will try this code as soon as I come back home
adi96

Postby adi96 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:01 pm

punkepanda wrote in Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:12 am:
adi96 wrote in Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:08 am:Hooray it doesn't work because when I use the "go" function on finder it says me that can't find this folder. Is this guide correct?

I dont know OS X, but for linux its in .fgfs folder.

Try open your terminal.

type:
cd; cd .fgfs

remember the DOT before fgfs
ls -la

Whats in that folder?

terminal says "no such file or directory"
adi96