Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Very dark Airplanes, when Shaders activated

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Very dark Airplanes, when Shaders activated

Postby cobolt » Tue May 06, 2014 5:10 pm

I tried the different graphics-settings and set everything to maximum. the framerate is still quite good (12-20), but the planes are now looking a little odd (very dark, almost impossible to see the livery). what might that be?

Also the lights (see second image) look not too good. is this tuneable?

thanks, cornelius

-----

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
Mac OS X 10.9.2

- what FlightGear version do you use?

- what graphics card do you have?
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1GB

- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
Yes

- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
--texture-filtering=16 --enable-enhanced-lighting --enable-real-weather-fetch --enable-specular-highlight

- please upload a screenshot of the problem.
cobolt

Callsign: CB289
Version: 3

Re: Very dark Airplanes, when Shaders activated

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 06, 2014 6:09 pm

I tried the different graphics-settings and set everything to maximum. the framerate is still quite good (12-20), but the planes are now looking a little odd (very dark, almost impossible to see the livery). what might that be?

Just to confirm, this really happens with every airplane?

The reason I'm asking is that many aircraft would actually use the same shader which renders the airport buildings, and they're looking just fine, and that there's a more detailed model shader available which is used by some aircraft.

So a bug which selectively 'knows' airplanes from the rest of the scene is difficult to imagine conceptually, the shader doesn't have that kind of information.

Visually it looks like a bad ambient material setting in the airplane model, if ambient is set too low, shadows become too dark. But that would only affect specific airplanes.

Also the lights (see second image) look not too good. is this tuneable?

That's taken care of in current GIT and will be released with 3.2.
Thorsten

Postby cobolt » Wed May 07, 2014 7:31 am

Hi Thorsten,

thanks for your immediate reply! i checked with some other planes as well - and you were right. not every plane looks this dark.
But at least the big Birds do: 777-*, A32*, A33*

Is there a way to fix this manually for those airplanes?

thanks,
cornelius
cobolt

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 07, 2014 9:23 am

I can't reproduce the problem on either the 777-200ER or the A320-211, and the first one seems to be using a model shader, the second one not, so they should be different in any case.

So you need to constrain this - what model shader detail settings on what airplanes are problematic, what works? Is there any shader compilation error shown on the console or the log file? Is the problem specific for Atmospheric Light Scattering on or not?

Is there a way to fix this manually for those airplanes?

Hard to say before we find out what the problem is.
Thorsten

Postby cobolt » Wed May 07, 2014 9:48 am

Please find attached two screenshots showing the Shader-Settings. If i disable them for the model, everything looks better (except the lighting on the plane, etc.).

i also checked the log for any errors - but couldn't find anything that would indicate there is a problem. (but: i guess the software is not compiled when starting it using the starter on mac?!

Shaders Off:

Shaders On:
cobolt

Postby Thorsten » Wed May 07, 2014 10:05 am

Yes, I knew this from your first report. The bulk of the question stands:

So you need to constrain this - what model shader detail settings on what airplanes are problematic, what works? Is the problem specific for Atmospheric Light Scattering on or not?
Thorsten

Postby cobolt » Wed May 07, 2014 10:19 am

Sorry, i forgot to mention that it is the same with Atmo.Light Scattering.

which information do you need to answer the question regarding shader detail setting on what airplanes exactly?
It seems that there are either no shaders at all (no change on some airplanes) or there are faulty ones.
cobolt

Postby Thorsten » Fri May 09, 2014 5:35 am

Sorry, but in the present style I can't really work on this.

I can't reproduce the bug, which means I rely on information from your side, and I can't get anything precise from you and I have to chase bits and pieces.

Things I'm wondering:

* Initially you claimed it's a problem with all airplanes, then with some. But I don't really know which ones. 'Big birds', '777-*' etc. are not precise descriptors. There are various official, development and customized versions of these planes around, so what I would really need is a list of names as they have to be put into the commandline and the info where the planes are from.

* Your screenshots are all taken within ALS (the grass is a tell-tale). Now you tell me that the problem occurs in ALS, but this I knew already - what I don't know is whether it occurs in Rembrandt and default, for what planes at what model shader quality settings.

Obviously if a plane uses a custom lightmap or so, the problem might be with the plane, if the shadow is specific for ALS only, the problem lies in the ALS light code, if the shadow occurs also in Rembrandt, the problem is in the effect-specific code.

After three interactions in this thread, I still don't have even a fraction of the info I really need to start looking for a solution, and I simply don't have the time to go chase this. I'd suggest that you simply not use the model shader effect for the time being then.
Thorsten

Postby cobolt » Sun May 11, 2014 10:10 am

Thorsten,

sorry for not beeing clear and messing things up. i'm new to FG - trying to understand and gather the information you need to help me on this (what i appreciate, a lot!).

I tried the following settings:

Rembrandt OFF
ALS OFF
Model Shader ON
------------------------------------
- Aircraft: 777-200ER (Project Seattle, V. Alpha.03, 2014 - Gitourious)
=> Dark

- Aircraft: 777-200 (Project Seattle, V. Alpha.03, 2014)
=> Dark

- Airbus A330-243 (Omega Hangar - latest from git)
=> No difference between Model Shader ON/OFF (Looks OK)

PA34-200T Seneca II (Default that comes with FG3.0)

Rembrandt ON
ALS Not Available
Model Shader ON
------------------------------------
- Aircraft: 777-200ER (Project Seattle, V. Alpha.03, 2014 - Gitourious)
=> Completely black

- Aircraft: 777-200 (Project Seattle, V. Alpha.03, 2014)
=> Completely black

- Airbus A330-243 (Omega Hangar - latest from git)
- Lights Work - actually it looks quite good!

PA34-200T Seneca II (Default that comes with FG3.0)

I'd suggest that you simply not use the model shader effect for the time being then.

Maybe thats just the best thing i can do, as Rembrand isnt working very well (FPS around 4-6).
cobolt

Postby Thorsten » Mon May 12, 2014 5:52 am

Is the 777-200ER the one shipped with FG as currently on GIT? That actually works okay for me, but if it doesn't, we can try to take the shader functionality out one by one.

How do random buildings look like if you activate them? They are rendered by the same fragment shader as models, but with a different vertex shader. Do they show the too dark shadows as well or not?
Thorsten

Postby cobolt » Mon May 12, 2014 10:25 am

The 777-200ER is the latest from GIT (https://gitorious.org/fg777_seattle/). I will try using the original one from the fg fgdata-git.

The random buildings look good. See screenshots attached. (disabled rembrandt & shaders-setting to high).

cobolt

Postby Thorsten » Tue May 13, 2014 5:32 am

Well, in the lower picture on the left side, a few buildings appear oddly colored... as if a cloud shadow effect would be active, but there is none in default, so...

No matter. Try some diagnostics with the 777-200ER then and open /Aircraft/777/Models/Effects/reflect.eff

In this file, you can find the lines

Code: Select all
        <lightmap-enabled type="int">1</lightmap-enabled>
        <reflection-enabled type="int">1</reflection-enabled>
        <reflection-dynamic type="int">1</reflection-dynamic>

set the value successively to 0 and see if anything cures the shadow issue (it will switch lightmap and reflection off, so no need to report that, I just want to know whether the problem is in the lightmap/reflection part of the code or not).

Also, play with the value

Code: Select all
<ambient-correction>0.1</ambient-correction>

and see if that changes anything.
Thorsten

Postby hvengel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:07 pm

Just ran into this while adding effects to a new aircraft. In my case the cowl and wing fairings were mostly black but looked sort of OK from below (IE. away from the sun). After trying a bunch of things I found that this was a normals issue and that flipping the normals of the dark objects fixed the issue. What made this hard to find is that the normals where "normal" (IE. in blender they were in the correct direction before I flipped them) and the aircraft looked OK before adding the effects stuff. I also found that turning off all effects by settings things like <reflection-enabled> to 0 didn't make any difference.
hvengel
Retired

Return to Graphics