Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

OpenSceneGraph , how do I get this working?

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: OpenSceneGraph , how do I get this working?

Postby islandmonkey » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Nope, still not having it. Maybe update your cmakelists.txt on the remote side to sync with the SG HEAD (I noticed it hadn't been updated for some time)?
islandmonkey

Callsign: G-MNKY
Version: git 3.5

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:32 am

that's a part of CMakeModules in SG/FG - and it's ALWAYS there, unless you are using a heavily outdated version of SG/FG. If it cannot be found, your defaults are wrong, because CMakeLists.txt explicitly sets up CMakeModules to be searched. We cannot help you like this, unless you post all details, including all folders/config and build flags.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby Keith_Beef » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:00 pm

I'm still not getting anywhere with this, either.

Code: Select all
$ sudo cmake ../fgmeta -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$PWD/install -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release

-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:1123 (message):
  Could not extract tarball filename from url:

http://www.openscenegraph.org/downloads/developer_releases/OpenSceneGraph-3.2.0.zip;URL_HASH;MD5=4980f8692712a24d4c99f363f80c6814
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/ExternalProject.cmake:1478 (_ep_add_download_command)
  CMakeLists.txt:132 (ExternalProject_Add)

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

$ grep URL_HASH ../fgmeta/CMakeLists.txt
    URL_HASH MD5=4980f8692712a24d4c99f363f80c6814
        URL_HASH MD5=47a6fbf63668c1eed631024038b2ea90
klrhodes@saturn:/usr/local/src/FGMeta/Build$
Keith_Beef

Version: 2.4.0

Postby poweroftwo » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:27 pm

I tried the windows version of superbuild and got the same error.
poweroftwo

Postby islandmonkey » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:55 pm

Even if I did find out that my simgear folder structure was mucked up, this is too much hassle. I've been trying to work on building this since Sunday and I've not got that far at all :?. I'll wait until the d&c author makes osgEarth buildable through his script.
islandmonkey

Postby Hooray » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:30 pm

please see the superbuild wiki article, Zakalawe is its primary maintainer and he explicitly asked for feeedback - so please get in touch with him or just file a bug report so that he can take a look. The d&c script is obviously great, but it's basically OS-specific, i.e. Linux/distro-specific - so of little use to users on other platforms - as such, it should be expected that the superbuild is going to be the primary build mechanism in the future - it can only be improved if enough people give it a try and actually report any issues they encounter.

Seriously, I don't understand how people who already build FG from source (and have been doing so for years) are having a hard time building it with osgEarth support now, it's exceptionally straightforward meanwhile, thanks to poweroftwo's integration work - you really only need to look at the docs and add the corresponding git repos/branches to your build setup, and you can easily switch between 2.99/next and osgEarth - there's even a wiki article that details the required steps.

Also, there's currently a review in progress to add osgEarth support to 2.99/next (possibly 3.1/next).
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby poweroftwo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:34 pm

I am having more success with the superbuild for Windows now. Just loaded FlightGear-Meta.sln and building release right now.

the fix was to simply updated my Cmake version to latest stable release (2.8.12.1) and the issues went away. I was previously on 2.8.8.

jeff
poweroftwo

Postby Hooray » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:20 pm

please provide feedback via the issue tracker if that's the minimum version working for you, so that the CMakeLists.txt can be edited accordingly and show an error saying "please upgrade cmake".
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Keith_Beef » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:17 am

poweroftwo wrote in Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:34 pm:I am having more success with the superbuild for Windows now. Just loaded FlightGear-Meta.sln and building release right now.

the fix was to simply updated my Cmake version to latest stable release (2.8.12.1) and the issues went away. I was previously on 2.8.8.

jeff

Aha!, maybe that's my problem!
Code: Select all
$ cmake --version
cmake version 2.8.7

I'll see if there is a more recent version in the Ubuntu repositories.

Well, there is a cmake 2.12 for Ubuntu, but it would require libarchive13, and that may also have dependencies… I'll wait for a while, and see if a clean upgrade path including cmake and libarchive becomes available. I don't want to start forcing individual packages piecemeal like this, at the risk of making my system unstable.
Keith_Beef

Version: 2.4.0

Postby islandmonkey » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Keith_Beef wrote:[...] but it would require libarchive13, and that may also have dependencies…

libarchive13's required deps are probably already installed on your system as they appear to be quite important - see http://packages.ubuntu.com/raring/libarchive13.

Hooray wrote:Seriously, I don't understand how people who already build FG from source (and have been doing so for years) are having a hard time building it with osgEarth support now, it's exceptionally straightforward meanwhile, thanks to poweroftwo's integration work - you really only need to look at the docs and add the corresponding git repos/branches to your build setup, and you can easily switch between 2.99/next and osgEarth - there's even a wiki article that details the required steps.

Indeed it isn't hard (I did all this already) - but I'm just too lazy. The general issue was the fact that the d&c script was not syncing the include dirs with new headers, which meant I would have to go around and add any new headers to my install/include dir; I could not be asked to do this.

Perhaps you'll enjoy the fact that I am indeed running the superbuild now (or as of writing this clause, has finished) and for some reason finishes quicker than the d&c script - so yes - I feel inclined to use this in the future.
islandmonkey

Previous

Return to Graphics