Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Problems with graphics using ATI cards: Look here first!!

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Problems with graphics using ATI cards: Look here first!!

Postby dany93 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:08 pm

Many thanks, gral,

I had posted a thread about this problem http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8745 , AndersG put me on the right track but it was only half solved (rather circumvented).
I copied your modifications and that is a true solution. All seems to work correctly.

Thank you very much.

Cheers

Dany
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Postby gral » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:59 pm

dany93 wrote:I copied your modifications and that is a true solution. All seems to work correctly.

Unfortunately I have to say that this will produce some new issues and math problems with flashing textures. But there is another possibility:
1. In the same shaders you can change "if (!gl_FrontFacing)" to
Code: Select all
if (twoSideHack && gl_Color.a == 0.0)

2. And in every shader where you change gl_FrontFacing add on top
Code: Select all
uniform bool twoSideHack;

This is what Tim Moore introduced in the 'next' shaders and could probably solve most of the problems.

Cheers- gral
gral

Callsign: HB-GRAL
Version: GIT

Postby dany93 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:42 pm

Hi, gral,

I have'nt noticed these "flashing textures" issues, I don't know what they are, or maybe I was happy enough to admire what this FG 200 could give. Anyway, you can see that your first solution was already a real improvement.
I'm afraid not having much time to try your second method soon, but I'll do it as soon as I can.
[EDIT] I've done it; it works (although I understand nothing to this code...).

Thank you very much one more time for your rigour and your following.

Cheers,

Dany
dany93

Version: 2020.4.0

Re: Problems with graphics using ATI cards: Look here first!

Postby p7810456 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:31 am

I have a problem that this does not address. I am also using an AMD card. I have tried posting in the forum but nobody has helped me, so I am posting here. My problem is that when I press "Activate" on the route manager from KEWR to VIDP, the framerate goes down from 30+ at startup down to around 5. Changing rendering settings does nothing. My current settings are the lowest with a few exceptions, which I have tried to turn off to get higher FPS but turning them off does nothing. Multithreading is enabled and the mode is "DrawThreadPerContext". I have successfully tried this game on a much weaker laptop, where it ran fine (on Intel graphics). I have even tried OC'ing the GPU a bit for a while, which did not help. This game is nice but the bad flight plan performance is a deal breaker, unfortunately :( . My specs are as follows:
AMD FX-6300 6-Core CPU
AMD R9 280 3GB graphics
1 TB HDD
MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10
No internal sound card, external S/PDIF to RCA DAC
When you see pigs fly it means Windows has become open source!
p7810456

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:45 am

My problem is that when I press "Activate" on the route manager from KEWR to VIDP, the framerate goes down from 30+ at startup down to around 5.

That's very likely not a rendering problem, so changing graphics settings will do nothing.

Seems like a malfunction of the route manager, except since it seems to work for other people, it looks like a configuration issue of sorts.

Oh, and we don't do 'games' - this is a simulator. :D
Thorsten

Postby p7810456 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, Thorsten, but is there a way I can fix it?
p7810456

Postby Thorsten » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Probably, but I'm the wrong person to ask, I don't even use the route manager since it spoils all my VFR fun.
Thorsten

Postby Clive2670 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:29 pm

p7810456 wrote in Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:31 am:I have a problem that this does not address. I am also using an AMD card. I have tried posting in the forum but nobody has helped me, so I am posting here. My problem is that when I press "Activate" on the route manager from KEWR to VIDP, the framerate goes down from 30+ at startup down to around 5. Changing rendering settings does nothing. My current settings are the lowest with a few exceptions, which I have tried to turn off to get higher FPS but turning them off does nothing. Multithreading is enabled and the mode is "DrawThreadPerContext". I have successfully tried this game on a much weaker laptop, where it ran fine (on Intel graphics). I have even tried OC'ing the GPU a bit for a while, which did not help. This game is nice but the bad flight plan performance is a deal breaker, unfortunately :( . My specs are as follows:
AMD FX-6300 6-Core CPU
AMD R9 280 3GB graphics
1 TB HDD
MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard
16 GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 10
No internal sound card, external S/PDIF to RCA DAC

I would agree with Thorsten, This is a driver issue I think as I'm running a laptop with a R7-M260 card and I've found the AMD re-live drivers to be an issue I have to run the standard crimson driver not the crimson re-live driver because if I don't my frame rate is around 1 to 3 FPS with the re-live driver and i rolled back to crimson 16.1 and may frame rate then goes up to a more satisfying 18 - 24 FPS. So I can safely say as a AMD user that this is a driver problem not a simulator coding problem, Also don't forget once you find a setting that works save this configuration under the debug tab and save video config' property. Hope this helps
Thanks Clive aka: G-BLS01
Can be seen flying the Boeing 777-200LR
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
AMD R7-M260 graphics 2Gb RAM
Clive2670

Callsign: G-BLS01
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby p7810456 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:03 pm

I would agree with Thorsten, This is a driver issue I think as I'm running a laptop with a R7-M260 card and I've found the AMD re-live drivers to be an issue I have to run the standard crimson driver not the crimson re-live driver because if I don't my frame rate is around 1 to 3 FPS with the re-live driver and i rolled back to crimson 16.1 and may frame rate then goes up to a more satisfying 18 - 24 FPS. So I can safely say as a AMD user that this is a driver problem not a simulator coding problem, Also don't forget once you find a setting that works save this configuration under the debug tab and save video config' property. Hope this helps

I have tried reinstalling the driver (not 16.1, but the newest one) and I do not have ReLive installed. The problem is still here. Is rolling back the driver completely necessary or is there another way to fix the problem? If this is necessary, then can someone please tell me how to do it because I do not know.
p7810456

Postby Clive2670 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:43 pm

Make sure that you completely uninstall the "old" driver before installing a new one as this will cause a miriad of problems, I go to control panel, programs & features click on AMD install manager then click uninstall, let it do it's thing, then download and install DDU from http://www.wagnardsoft.com/ run this and it will remove any files and registry keys still in your system that the uninstall leaves behind, I also tend to do the "belt & braces" approach by going into %appdata% local folder and deleteing the AMD folder (if it has any remnants of files in it which it shouldn't have) restart your system, install your new driver, then restart your system. I would encourage you to revert back to a older driver for flightgear as I have found these to be more stable, give a better FPS yeild in flightgear in my experience, Once you find a stable driver that runs flightgear TURN OFF AUTOMATIC UPDATES within the AMD program (NOT Windows automatic updates!!!) Some sites you might want to try follow: http://www.oldapps.com/ati.php http://www.guru3d.com/files-categories/ ... win-7.html Hope this helps?
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby p7810456 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:04 am

I have more info about the problem. I earlier tried another flight in an A320 from KAUS to KSEA and the route manager worked fine without lagging the game. I do not know if this is because of the aircraft or the shorter amount of waypoints, but I do not think there is a malfunction in the route manager. Is there a way to stop the number of waypoints from lagging the game?
p7810456

Postby Clive2670 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:16 pm

p7810456 wrote in Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:04 am:I have more info about the problem. I earlier tried another flight in an A320 from KAUS to KSEA and the route manager worked fine without lagging the game. I do not know if this is because of the aircraft or the shorter amount of waypoints, but I do not think there is a malfunction in the route manager. Is there a way to stop the number of waypoints from lagging the game?

Sorry I'm unable to answer this question, maybe one of the developers can. They may ask you to post your log so they can tell
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby p7810456 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:18 pm

I will post my log here in a while... Can you please also tell me how to contact the devs. I'm sorry for asking a lot but your help is greatly appreciated!
p7810456

Postby Clive2670 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:37 pm

It's not a problem, We all have to ask these questions from time to time! I have had no need to contact devs so I don't know sorry, But don't worry Thorsten, wkitty42, and others read these posts regulary so they will no doubt be able to point you in the right direction!
Toshiba laptop,
Intel i5 4210U,
16Gb RAM,
Clive2670

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:07 pm

p7810456 wrote in Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:31 am:My problem is that when I press "Activate" on the route manager from KEWR to VIDP, the framerate goes down from 30+ at startup down to around 5.

what craft is this and where, exactly, did you get it from?? i've read the thread from your post to the end and don't see anything about which craft this is you have the problem with...

my gut reaction is that there's a problem in the craft... not graphics... something in the craft's implementation code... the number of waypoints should not matter one bit to the system and certainly not in such a way as to affect your frame rate... i know that some craft do also try to pull and display live weather on their control screens... these are some of the larger craft like boeing 747 and up and possibly even some of the airbus craft... i've seen the log information about that going by on my console but have never seen the weather on the control screens...

anyway, what craft are you talking about up there? ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

PreviousNext

Return to Graphics