Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Question about AMD's APUs  Topic is solved

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Question about AMD's APUs

Postby Jetman. » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 am

Hi, it's me Jetman...it's has been like 2 years since I have really been into FlightGear. I have gone away from FG mainly because my laptop couldn't keep up with the changing graphical and performance improvements. (Best running FG version on my laptop was 1.9.1.)

I am purchasing a computer in about 2 weeks from now. I have the New Computer I am purchasing and its specs vs current laptop's specs:

New Computer: /Current computer:
AMD Quad-Core A8-5500 Accelerated Processor (3.20GHz, 4MB L2 Cache) / Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 @ 2.1Ghz
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit /Windows 8 Professional 64-Bit
AMD Radeon HD 7560D Graphics /Intel GMA 4500MHD (LOL no Win8 drivers for it that supports OpenGL, aka no FlightGear).
8GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz / 4GB RAM DDR3
1TB HD 7200rpm /320GB HD 5200rpm

This new computer has an integrated chip that is embedded with the CPU, but it is a very powerful chip. It can share up to 4GB of Shared System Memory; 512MB Dedicated. I have seen it run Battlefield 3 and Arma 2--two graphic-intensive games, Arma 2 being also CPU-intensive--without any problems. Again, I want to stress that it is an integrated chip. It does come with OpenGL support (OpenGL 4.1), though I don't know much about OpenGL, moreover OpenGL 4.1.

Anyways, I wonder how this system will fair against FlightGear 2.10. Are there any FlightGear users that have experience with AMD's APU family? If so, how does FlightGear run for you? If neither, do you think it could run FG well?
Favorite Aircraft: Pretty much all military aircraft.

FG videos on YouTube! Choose the FlightGear playlist!
http://www.youtube.com/user/ParasiteQueen1

SPECS
8GB RAM 1600Mhz DDR3
AMD A8-5500 Quad @ 3.2Ghz Turbo 3.7Ghz
Zotac GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5
Jetman.

Callsign: Jetman
Version: 3.2

Re: Question about AMD's APUs

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:45 pm

Jetman. wrote in Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:44 am:AMD Radeon HD 7560D Graphics
This new computer has an integrated chip that is embedded with the CPU, but it is a very powerful chip. It can share up to 4GB of Shared System Memory; 512MB Dedicated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/AMD-AP ... 20640.html

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... s/apu.aspx
http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desktop/ ... ktops.aspx

It sure sounds a little like the AMD/ATI equivalent of NVIDIA's Optimus technology, which also uses a weaker integrated chipset to reduce the power consumption of the system when no 3D apps are running. If that's the case, you'll want to use the dedicated chipset/GPU when running FG.

Anyways, I wonder how this system will fair against FlightGear 2.10. Are there any FlightGear users that have experience with AMD's APU family? If so, how does FlightGear run for you? If neither, do you think it could run FG well?

don't have any personal experience myself, but I'd suggest to make sure that your hardware and OS fully support eachother. Also, you may want to download FG (USB stick) for a test-run prior to purchasing any hardware.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby Jetman. » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:45 am

Ok...just got my computer. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the Quad-core, A8-5500 APU @ 3.2Ghz (discontinued computer). Instead I purchased a computer that is a dual core. It has the A6-5600k processor @ 3.6Ghz. It comes with the integrated AMD Radeon 7540D (512MB Dedicated up to 3.9GB Shared Memory).

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE the power of the AMD Triniry series APUs. This processor and its graphic chip is extremely powerful. I downloaded FlightGear 2.10 to test its OpenGL capabilities. (DirectX 11 is really good). When flying directly above KSFO, my fps dropped to 25fps. :) When I was flying around or far from KSFO, my fps were at 35-60fps. Of course I had the Shader-slider to pure performance, but still....WOW!

The AMD APU Trinity Series have strong CPUs and IGPUs. Intel's IGPUs are far inferior. I don't know about the A4 series, but the A6, A8, and A10 should have no problem running FlightGear 2.10.

I am very, very happy! :D

SPECS
8GB RAM 1600Mhz DDR3
Jetman.

Postby Michat » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:42 pm

Happy to hear that from you Jetman.

What about AA filter capabilities, any screenie or video recorded with your new hardware?
Michat

Version: 191b

Postby Jetman. » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:18 pm

Hey Michat! Nice to hear from you! Yes, I recently posted a video on YouTube that shows some game-play of 3 games. FlightGear is the first one.

Watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJDkxcAagzw

SPECS
8GB RAM 1600Mhz DDR3
Jetman.

Postby housefatherof6 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Hey Jetman...
Just went up and looked at your video...great...
I was about to purchase a new computer myself and glad I saw your post. thanks for the post on your new system...you save around $250. :D
housefatherof6

Callsign: jayhawk
Version: 3.0.0

Postby Hooray » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:30 pm

It would be great if you could add your hardware feedback to the wiki, so that other FG users may use your info when purchasing/building a new system: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Supported_Video_Cards
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Graphics