Board index FlightGear Support Graphics

Lag/Stuttering while flying

Graphics issues like: bad framerates, weird colors, OpenGL errors etc. Bad graphics ar usually the result of bad graphics cards or drivers.
Forum rules
In order to help you, we need to know a lot of information. Make sure to include answers to at least the following questions in your initial post.

- what OS (Windows Xp/Vista, Mac etc.) are you running?
- what FlightGear version do you use?
- what graphics card do you have?
- does the problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport?
- is there any output printed to the console (black window)?
- copy&paste your commandline (tick the "Show commandline box on the last page of FGRun or the "Others" section on the Mac launcher).
- please upload a screenshot of the problem.

If you experience FlightGear crashes, please report a bug using the issue tracker (can be also used for feature requests).
To run FlightGear on old computers with bad OpenGL support, please take a look at this wiki article. If you are seeing corrupted/broken textures, please see this article.

Note: If you did not get a reponse, even after 7 days, you may want to check out the FlightGear mailing lists to ask your question there.

Re: Lag/Stuttering while flying

Postby sgofferj » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:43 pm

I had some stuttering problems in 2.4 with multiplayer traffic but this has been greatly reduced in 2.6.
Then I had serious stuttering in complex scenery (lots of vertices) but this went considerably better when I replaced my GT520 with a GTX560 GPU.
I still experience stuttering with 3D clouds but as Thorsten explained in another thread, this is hardly avoidable. Further stuttering I experience on turns, when lots of new and rather complex objects come into sight. Think e.g. LOWI and take a helicopter and turn while hovering. I think, this is caused by the data not being pushed into the GPU fast enough. I'm not sure if and how this would be solveable - maybe by using more DDS textures but this is just a wild guess without deep knowledge of 3D graphics stuff.
There is a thread about stuttering here. Maybe it would make sense to join the threads together?
FG 3.1 GIT / Opensuse 12.3 / Phenom II X4 / GForce GTX560
Stefan's little Flightgear corner | The Finnish Weather Center | Wolves in Finland

Working on: EFTP
COM: IAX2:home.gofferje.net/stefan (MO-FR 0700-2000 UTC, SA+SU 0900-2000 UTC)
sgofferj

Callsign: OH-SW
Version: 3.1 GIT

Postby PavlinS » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:27 pm

My FPS is desperately low!
I play on NVIDIA Geforce GTX430.
And without shaders, no clouds and even no ALS.
My FPS is 9! And the spacing - 200ms!
This is awful! Anyone know how to fix it?
My computer has Windows 10 Pro core. Intel core I5 with 4 GB of RAM. There is no enything that I did not try- throotle stop, Razer Cortex.......... :Lag!
PavlinS

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016.4.4

Postby Parnikkapore » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:24 am

First things to check:
-If your graphics can switch between Intel and Nvidia(such as in most current notebooks), force the driver to use Nvidia.
-Double-check your LOD distances?
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby sanhozay » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:29 am

Parnikkapore wrote in Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:24 am:-Double-check your LOD distances?

+1

30,000m bare is about the most I can get away with with 4GB RAM. The bare setting on the LOD (View - Adjust LOD Ranges) is a major factor in memory usage.

Once your system starts swapping because memory is low, everything becomes painful.
sanhozay

Callsign: G-SHOZ
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:43 am

@PavlinS: also what craft are you trying to fly? i get 30-60FPS with the c172p but the 787-8 (in FGAddon) brings me down to a paltry 5+FPS with Real Weather and ALS with max shaders except for transition (50%) and urban (40%)... i also do not use any 3D clouds and leave random objects and such left to their defaults... my current LOD settings are slightly modified from the defaults, as well... 1500, 9000, 150000...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby PavlinS » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:48 am

wkitty42 wrote in Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:43 am:@PavlinS: also what craft are you trying to fly? i get 30-60FPS with the c172p but the 787-8 (in FGAddon) brings me down to a paltry 5+FPS with Real Weather and ALS with max shaders except for transition (50%) and urban (40%)... i also do not use any 3D clouds and leave random objects and such left to their defaults... my current LOD settings are slightly modified from the defaults, as well... 1500, 9000, 150000...

I am not touching the LOT distances. There is no Intel HD graphics on my computer - the chipset was changed to NVIDIA chip. I am talking for A320, A380- omega, B737-900 and B777 families. A380 by Omega has no proper pushback also. I asume that the only model I can freely fly on so-so good FPS is F15C. I am youtuber and this model does not compare with the rest models I use. I am trying to do real flights - for example LBSF -EDDF with A320Neo. EDDF-KSFO with A380. KSFO- PHNL with B737-900 NG. And many more with 777. I asume that 777 is heavy plane because is fully modeled. But the rest are not!
PavlinS

Callsign: PavlinS
Version: 2016.4.4

Postby wkitty42 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:47 am

FWIW: i have NVIDIA card, too... GeForce GT 730 1Gig RAM...

if the craft listed are in FGAddon, i'll try to see what kind of FPS i get with them on the ground at some airport of your choosing so we can compare... i use only official flightgear repos, distributed craft and terrasync scenery...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Previous

Return to Graphics