Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

Flight Displays on other System

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

Flight Displays on other System

Postby D-AINR » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:14 pm

I would suggest this topic is an "Interfacing" Question - more or less...

I would like to:

1) run FG on multiple computers
2) have the PFD & NAV Display (in my case its an A320) on the 2nd computers dispaly
3) ideally the 2nd computer should be a raspberry
4) if I understood the concept, the CANVAS-Subsystem would be the first choice for that
5) what works with the first another computer should also work with more (CPT, FO, EWD-Displays and MCDU's may be as well)

Can anyone give me please a hint where to start with?

regards
D-AINR

Re: Flight Displays on other System

Postby rooman » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:20 pm

I've just found your post and i see it went unanswered.
I will normally recuperate an old laptop and plan to use it for showing the instrument panel keeping the main machine for the scenery, I already have a homemade panel loaded with switches and a throttle/props/mixture-condition combo all passing data via an arduino.

Did you get it going the way you want?
Where did you find reliable information?
Grew up with Dr Who then discovered Monty Python and Middle Earth. The world was never the same.
rooman

Callsign: HB-ROO
Version: Next + LTS

Postby zayamatias » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:13 am

I will normally recuperate an old laptop and plan to use it for showing the instrument panel keeping the main machine for the scenery

If you're trying to achieve 'just a display' of the instruments, I'd recommend looking into WebPanel .

You do not need a powerful computer to run it, just one that can run a fairly modern broswer.

One limitation is that you will have to 'design' most f the displays yourself (graphics & properties for them), as I have not found much existing, which can be time consuming, but then shared with the rest of the community.

For reference you can have a look under: $FGDATA/Aircraft/c172p/WebPanel

I've created a small panel for the plane I'm using as test (Robin DR400) and show it on a small screen connected to a second laptop.

Also, do not forget the --httpd=8080 (or port of choice) when launching FG.

Have fun!
zayamatias

Postby rooman » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:59 pm

‪zayamatias is right, Webpanel is the way for our needs and resources.

You can modify the webPanel files as you wish, I have the big 6 on a 10' tablet and the others on a 8'. The radio stack is pending with a 7' tablet.
Start with the c172 and look at the "panel in a browser" as an example.
Copy the WebPanel folder to your chosen aircraft folder (if not the c172) .
You may find the 2d instruments a good place to start for modifying for other planes.
You must flush the tablet browser memory every time you change the WebPanel config file-s. If you make several webPanels you must of course change the url for each panel/tablet combo.
I have firewall problems and must turn it off when flying.
Look at the Twin Otter dh6 as well, some brilliant work done, a great Webpanel there.

Sorry I cannot enclose a photo because I do not have acces to any online file host and the forum does not allow copy/paste of local files.

Have fun and be prepared to spend some time modifying things.
Enjoy
Grew up with Dr Who then discovered Monty Python and Middle Earth. The world was never the same.
rooman

Postby rooman » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:59 pm

https://ibb.co/CQzmqW6
Here was my simpit a little time ago, it has since grown several more switches. You can see that the tablets are hanging on to the modded usb yoke case, I kept the original usb controller for the main axis and yoke mounted buttons.
The control panel runs with an Arduino Mega.
rooman

Return to Interfacing