Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

Simulating and exporting target sensor data

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

Re: Simulating and exporting target sensor data

Postby PINTO » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:55 am

If you tell us what data you need, we can get this completed fairly quickly.

For output, there's also property tree dumping and nasal file i/o, so we can (probably) output it in any format you need.

EDIT: forgot to add, we can do this with automats (which are currently tuned to fly like F-16's), so it is easily repeatable.
Actively developing the MiG-21bis (github repo) (forum thread) (dev discord) (fg wiki)

http://opredflag.com is an active flightgear dogfighting community (using a system that isn’t bombable)
PINTO

Callsign: pinto
Version: stable

Postby wbstratton » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:49 am

@legoboyvdlp Thanks.... doesn't have to be an F-22, just a different type aircraft than F-16 (i.e F-15, F-35, etc) with a different set of sensors to be simulated
wbstratton

Postby jano » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:23 pm

If you just need a flight track, you can use the igc gps track, but i guess it's lacking some of the properties you want :)
Code: Select all
fgfs --igc=file,out,1,OutputFile.igc

Using the generic protocol to write a file seems better, just write the properties you need in a protocol file and fly ...

Code: Select all
--generic=file,out,1,/tmp/data.xml,myproto

I don't know which logging frequency you want, but i think you can log as fast as your screen fps with the generic protocol, and maybe at the fdm frequency using jsbsim logging, if using JSBSim (usually it's 120hz but sometime it's better to change this frequency to a multiple of the screen refresh rate if FG can maintain the fps)

About the timestamp, you can consider using "sim/time/mp-clock-sec" which is the utc time with the hour truncated at startup. Using PC with NTP give good result over mp, and you'll have a "time unity" for your logs (modulo 3600s depending when you started the FG sessions).

the sim time is fine for a standalone FG, but can be prone to pauses if frame time is too big.

jano
jano

Callsign: jano
Version: git

Postby wbstratton » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:05 pm

To put more context to this, one of the challenges AF pilots have in complex environments is tracking all the targets on their display. In addition to all the tracks they see from their own onboard systems, they also get target data displayed from all the other planes on their Link16 network. If there is significant error in the detection of the same target between two different planes sharing data on Link16, it may actually appear as two separate targets to both of them (vs the same target)....

Currently in Flight Gear, position data for each plane is reported as ground truth, and the position of other planes/targets are reported as ground truth. In reality, radars have errors based on various system and situational factors.

To put more context to being able to simulate and export radar location data in FG, one of the challenges AF pilots have in complex environments is tracking all the targets on their display. In addition to all the tracks they see from their own onboard systems, they also get target data displayed from all the other planes on their Link16 network. If there is significant error in the detection of the same target between two different planes sharing data on Link16, it may actually appear as two separate targets to both of them (vs the same target)....

So for purposes of our use case right now, I am less concerned about the sophistication of the radar simulation (that may come later....). I simply want to be able to export what a system is reporting as the location of each target that it is detecting during its flight, and then be able to simulate/visualize the *error* between what the radar in each plane is reporting as the location of a specific target, and what their respective errors are.....
wbstratton

Postby Stevenj279 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:13 am

wbstratton - I have no idea where your efforts have led you so far, but if you're still working on your project and FlightGear doesn't meet your needs, you might look into the Advanced Framework for Simulation, Integration and Modeling (AFSIM). It's GOTS, and the program office is the Air Force Research Lab (AFRL). It will do most, if not all of what you described.
Williamsburg, VA
Win 7 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.40 GHz
32 Gb Ram, 500 GB SSD, 2 TB SCSI HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M
Stevenj279

Previous

Return to Interfacing