Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

Adding Arduino to FlightGear??

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

Adding Arduino to FlightGear??

Postby roberto sanchez » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:49 pm

So I'm an Arduino enthusiast, and you can make many different projects and other stuff with it. But I really wanted to make a Boeing 737 cockpit, and use FlightGear as it is open-source. But Arduino Uses C/C++, and I don't know how to interface it. Obviously and can easily make most of it using custom keybinds for different switches, but stuff like throttles and screens will have to have direct integration, and someway to get the canvas onto a screen on the arduino. Anybody know how I could do this?
roberto sanchez

Re: Adding Arduino to FlightGear??

Postby wlbragg » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:09 pm

I don't know how to interface it.

Do a google search for FlightGear, Arduino, protocal , etc., also search the wiki and these forum. All the information you need is there. Many users have done it including myself. Basically you use FG I/O protocal interface to connect to the Arduino.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i5 3570K AMDRX480
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Hooray » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:06 pm

roberto sanchez wrote in Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:49 pm:someway to get the canvas onto a screen on the arduino. Anybody know how I could do this?

Check out: Canvas displays on different screens / devices

So, you have several options here:

There are obviously several pros and cons involved here, and the feasibility of each options depends largely on your requirements and background.

For some context/background info, I'd suggest to review the following topics: Canvas & OpenGL ES (Rasberry PI, Android etc)

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=18415
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=22995
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=25887
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=31206

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=opengles+canvas
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=canvas+rasberry+arduino
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=24046

While it may take a few minutes to review those threads, you will have a much better understanding of the canvas system after working through these discussions.

You will also realize that a "proper" OpenGL ES back-end for the Canvas is a long-standing idea/feature request among some long term contributors.

http://wiki.flightgear.org/Canvas_and_OpenGL_ES
http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Optimi ... le_devices
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Postby roberto sanchez » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:50 pm

Thank you so much!
roberto sanchez

Postby Hooray » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:25 pm

If you are familiar with coding, and know how to patch/rebuild FlightGear, it would actually be cool to see some of your work contributed back to the project - even if just in the form of forum updates, patches shared or a corresponding wiki page/article to document your whole journey.
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Return to Interfacing