Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

Autopilot ...adding rotary dials

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

Autopilot ...adding rotary dials

Postby Robertfm » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:17 pm

Not sure how to describe this. Is there a way to get rotary switches to work on Auto pilot Functions like Vertical Speed, pitch angle, velocity control etc without opening auto manually inputting in AP interface.
Robertfm

Re: Autopilot ...adding rotary dials

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:39 pm

that depends on the craft and its maintainer... which craft is it?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Robertfm » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:08 pm

Piper PA 28, Robin DR 400 to name two.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:33 pm

which piper? i think there are two available... i'm pretty sure that i've been reading that at least one is under current development...

i'm not sure about the DR 400 but i have read something about it a few times, too... just nothing recent pops to mind...

in either case, you can try to take up the mantle and fix it yourself on your system... if you are successful, the fix may be accepted by the maintainer to add to the craft so everyone will have it... if you don't want to or cannot take up the mantle, there's little other choice than to continue to do what you've been doing... yeah, i use the F11 and F12 stuff all the time because trying to do it in craft is tough or doesn't exist... i've gotten used to it after these 4 or 5 years...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Robertfm » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:46 pm

I figured that would be the case. I simply don't have those skills and at my age the stress would probably kill me. It's such a shame there is this issue between Saitek/Logitech and FG. Their various panels would be brilliant. The first I read about attempts to forge a relationship goes back 7 years. I emailed them 6 months ago and suggested there was a market on FG for their kit. They said they would look at it. As for Piper, it is the default one.
Robertfm

Postby SurferTim » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:24 am

I got rotary encoders to kinda work a while back with the radio panel. I used an Arduino as the rotary switch decoder, but debouncing the switches is where I stopped. Had other projects that were more pressing.
Fly low, fly slow, land on a dime. Twin Otter.
SurferTim

Callsign: Pirate
Version: 2019.2.0

Postby Robertfm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:45 am

Sorry as I said this stuff is beyond me.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:56 pm

i understood your original question to be about digital simulations of rotary dials/switches... i think SurferTim is thinking of actual real hardware like one would find in a cockpit they built for their simulator...
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Robertfm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:05 pm

I was actually thinking of the Saitek type panels initially, but they won't work. I have some rotary switches linked through Ardruino whether there was a way to get them to interface with FG AP settings panel.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:35 pm

oh! oooook... not the first time i was wro... wro... uh, not correct :mrgreen:
"Why not?" said Gurder.
wkitty42

Postby Robertfm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:37 pm

It was probably me not that good at explaining these plane things.
Robertfm

Postby SurferTim » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:48 pm

You don't need a real good explanation. I added a remote autopilot interface on my flight data computer just now (Tinker Board separate from my Flightgear box).

Here is the autopilot interface on my remote computer. It's working in my Citation X on the way to KSFO.
SurferTim

Postby Robertfm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:20 pm

Tim,
Very impressive but I have no idea how to do it. I currently use two other joystick controller boards for other functions, following instruction from others. The are Leo Bodner board & Ardruino. Plenty of slots but no idea what I would need to do. I have two other monitors running things like the Phi, Sky Vector etc
Robertfm

Postby SurferTim » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:24 pm

Robertfm wrote in Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:20 pm:Tim,
Very impressive but I have no idea how to do it. I currently use two other joystick controller boards for other functions, following instruction from others. The are Leo Bodner board & Ardruino. Plenty of slots but no idea what I would need to do. I have two other monitors running things like the Phi, Sky Vector etc

Are those two monitors connected to another computer? That is the pic I posted above. It is a separate computer. I already have 3 monitors on my flightgear box.

It is not that bad to install if you have Python and Pygame installed. You must also open UDP port 5005 on your Flightgear box. The rest is pretty simple.
SurferTim

Postby Robertfm » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:28 pm

They are on the same computer. I don't have room for another computer even if I had any idea how to do it.
Robertfm

Next

Return to Interfacing