Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

Setting Up Trim Wheel.

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

Setting Up Trim Wheel.

Postby Robertfm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:53 am

Another member suggested I post this here. I am setting up a Trim wheel using a Potentiometer with a 10 rotation functionality. I have a number of questions but firstly:

In the main calibration page there are several assignments I haven't been able to find reference to on this forum or in the many pages on FG.

There are 2 settings each for Aileron Trim ( Position & INC)
this also applies to Rudder & Elevator Trim. In short what do these actually do.

My main question is how do I set the Pot to the Sims neutral position and would that be the take off position. I have read on other forums that some people say it is others that it's not

I may have supplementary questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Robertfm

Callsign: RFM1
Version: 2020.3.11

Re: Setting Up Trim Wheel.

Postby Robertfm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi Polly,

Since your first message I've tried the various settings and the 'position' one moves the aileron etc trim fully to the right or left. So no adjustment as such. Where as the INC is small movements right/left. Then of course just to add to the complication there is also assignments that can operate left/right for a different interface again.

I haven't yet found any information on explaining the calibration page which of course would have been helpful.

Thanks for your help. By the way tried to use PM but it gave me an error message.

Edit: Bit's finally arrived and I connected the Pot and it showed up nicely. Programmed it through Joystick Calibration to Elevator Trim INC and it didn't work. However bizarrely setting it to Elevator Trim Position it controls it beautifully. Bizarrely exactly opposite to how it worked on toggle switches which didn't graduate. So a trim wheel for about £10 excluding controller which I already had.
Last edited by Robertfm on Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 pm

what error message?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Robertfm » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 pm

It turns out the box below the persons name is for additional members names not the PM. Once I put the text in the right box it sent message.
Robertfm

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:30 pm

there ya go :)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Interfacing