Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

MacBook Air keyboard problems

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

MacBook Air keyboard problems

Postby GonzaU2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:15 am

Hello everyone! First of all, I'd like to introduce myself! My name is Gonz, I'm from Sevilla (south of Spain) and I'm SO grateful for this beautiful simulator that you guys have put together! I have an early 2014 MacBook Air (1,4ghz intel core i5) with 4gb 1600mhz DDR and Intel HD Graphics 500 1536mb, and the game (and the fps) looks great (which didn't happen with X-Plane 11).

I love how the game is based on an "open community" so everyone can share their stuff, but I do have a few problems and I just don't know if you could help me. I would like to apologize because maybe I'm writing in the wrong part of the forum. If so, I do apologize and I ask for some admin to move the topic to its correct place.

Now, my problem is quite simple; I'm using a Mac, which has a different keyboard configuration as you all know, and that's giving me some headache... For example, I can lower the flaps but I can't raise them (if I press that combination of keys, the game just stops working and I'm back in my destkop...). Also, because this is a laptop, using the throttle numbers (3-9) doesn't make much sense, especially when the other numbers in the middle move the plane (and I also have the arrows to do that, so I don't need the numbers doing that). Another problem is that if I click stuff with the mouse (for example, the flaps lever) I can only make them go in one position, but not in the other one! (I will try to explain myself better; if I click in the flaps lever, they go down one by one, but I can't raise them using the mouse in most planes!).

Well, I don't want to bore you and I know my English isn't the best :oops: I guess my question is very simple; is there an easy way of changing the keyboard assignments of the game? or maybe a file which changes the keyboard assignments only in Mac computers?

Thank you very much for your patience and I'm very sorry for all the trouble
GonzaU2

Version: 2018.2.2.

Re: MacBook Air keyboard problems

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:58 am

Hi,

In most planes either right or middle click moves the levers in the opposite direction. As you are on a laptop, tapping with two fingers should be middle click - at least, it is on mine - you might need to configure that in your touchpad settings. That's assuming you use a touchpad, not a mouse.

As for throttles, do you have a PgUp / PgDn key? PgUp is used to throttle up, and PgDn is used to throttle down, as well as 3/9.

As for controls, you can also use the mouse for more accurate control than the arrow keys - use the TAB key to toggle between normal / flight controls / view control modes.

I'm afraid I only have Windows - sorry if any of this isn't relevant to Mac!
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: YV-LEGO
Version: 2018.3.1

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:36 pm

the main things to remember:
  • there are sim-centric keys
  • there are craft-centric keys
  • craft-centric keys can override sim-centric keys
  • not all craft are designed or built the same
  • not all craft developers have the same mind set about which keys do what
  • there is no one central place to edit key assignments for either centricity
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby GonzaU2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:57 pm

wkitty42 wrote in Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:36 pm:the main things to remember:
  • there are sim-centric keys
  • there are craft-centric keys
  • craft-centric keys can override sim-centric keys
  • not all craft are designed or built the same
  • not all craft developers have the same mind set about which keys do what
  • there is no one central place to edit key assignments for either centricity

Yes, I absolutely need to understand and remember all those things, thanks!

legoboyvdlp wrote in Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:58 am:Hi,

In most planes either right or middle click moves the levers in the opposite direction. As you are on a laptop, tapping with two fingers should be middle click - at least, it is on mine - you might need to configure that in your touchpad settings. That's assuming you use a touchpad, not a mouse.

As for throttles, do you have a PgUp / PgDn key? PgUp is used to throttle up, and PgDn is used to throttle down, as well as 3/9.

As for controls, you can also use the mouse for more accurate control than the arrow keys - use the TAB key to toggle between normal / flight controls / view control modes.

I'm afraid I only have Windows - sorry if any of this isn't relevant to Mac!

I found the binding for PgUp and PgDown, which is awesome! I know about TAB key and so far it's been working great. I still can't get the middle - right click (it was configured to be used with two fingers, but it doesn't work when on the 777). Well, I guess that when I use the mouse that shouldn't happen, because so far it's the only thing bothering me (I lower the flaps for the take-off and they remain like that for the whole flight :lol: )
"Learning to fly" (PF-SYD)
GonzaU2

Postby GonzaU2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:08 pm

Found the key! Alt + left mouse works perfectly, and I've already performed my first short-haul flight (I really need to work on my landing tho...)

Thank you!
"Learning to fly" (PF-SYD)
GonzaU2

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:01 pm

:thumbsup: ;)
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Interfacing