Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

phi charts us sectionals...  Topic is solved

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

phi charts us sectionals...

Postby tsx2006 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi,
I am a little at loss, may be I miss something. I don't get the us sectional charts in the phi chartdisplay. The German ICAO charts work all right. But the US charts don't. It was working on the 2017.1.x version but the latest one isn't.
Does someone have a similar problem? A hint in the right direction would be very helpfull.

Greetings
Harro
Grumman F-14b "Tomcat", North American T-2 "Buckeye", Lockheed SR-71 "Blackbird",
Cessna 172 "Skyhawk", Cessna 152
tsx2006

Callsign: habu01
Version: 2019.1.1

Re: phi charts us sectionals...

Postby Hooray » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:10 pm

yeah, this got recently solved - run a forum/devel list search for the files to be patched/updated.
The background here is that Phi is using hard-coded URLs that have the equivalent of the AIRAC-cycle hard-coded as part of the URL.
This changed a while ago, so that those charts are no longer available.
I believe that it was Curt who posted a fix
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby wkitty42 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 pm

curt's post was a partial fix... i found more places with that date code and posted them to the dev list... haven't seen any further movement on it, though...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby tsx2006 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi,
thanks for the fast answer.
Sorry but I don't find the post or posts you mentioned.
I figured out it might have something to do with the map.js file but even this search criteria doesn't help.

Harro
Grumman F-14b "Tomcat", North American T-2 "Buckeye", Lockheed SR-71 "Blackbird",
Cessna 172 "Skyhawk", Cessna 152
tsx2006

Callsign: habu01
Version: 2019.1.1

Postby Gijs » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Airports: EHAM, EHLE, KSFO
Aircraft: 747-400
Gijs

Callsign: PH-GYS
Version: Git

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 pm

this has been fixed and will be available in the next release...
Code: Select all
torstendreyer pushed a commit to branch next
in repository fgdata.

The following commit(s) were added to refs/heads/next by this push:
     new aea1bbf  Use latest vfrmap.com tiles
aea1bbf is described below

SF URL:  http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fgdata/ci/aea1bbf5f1c4a221761a45135f21da32f679fb1d/

Commit:    aea1bbf5f1c4a221761a45135f21da32f679fb1d
Author:    Torsten Dreyer
Committer: Torsten Dreyer
AuthorDate:    Tue Jan 30 11:21:02 2018 +0100

Use latest vfrmap.com tiles
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby Hooray » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:11 pm

I would still suggest to tread carefully with this - the way this is implemented, it's going to break again, it would have to use a variable (property) to look up the cycle dynamically.

Besides, depending on external web-services makes future fgfs releases much less self-contained obviously, just like Thorsten stated originally (imagine downloading fgfs 2018.1 5 years from now - these features won't work at all).

That being said, unless I am missing something (e.g. because there is an explicit exception granting us the corresponding rights), the way we (that is, Phi/fgfs) is making access to their API, also seems very likely to be a violation of their terms of use, which state explicitly:

http://vfrmap.com/map_api.html
VFRMap.com wrote:Terms
  • Chart images are required to be clickable links to our site (see examples below).
  • Links to VFRMap.com should open in a full browser window including the location (url) bar. Please do not embed our pages in iframes.
  • If you anticipate sending significant traffic our way (more than 100 requests per day), please let us know first by emailing api@vfrmap.com.
  • We reserve the right to modify or discontinue this API at any time.
  • The accuracy of data served via the API is not guaranteed. Please make sure your users understand this.
  • This API is the only permitted method of embedding VFRMap data on third party sites. Hotlinking, mirroring, or bulk downloading of map tiles, AFD sections, and other data is prohibited.

(applicable terms highlighted by me)

Given the legal turmoil surrounding fgmembers, the Honda jet and other controversial developments, I find it a little surprising that we're seeing such features added without clarifying whether a corresponding exemption exists or not (as in, linking to it, and adding it to the commit logs).

Especially because this is not some 3rd party Nasal module developed/distributed by some random forum user hiding behind a nickname, but a part of the core fgfs infastructure, developed and maintained by someone who is listed as project admin at sourceforge and elsewhere.

Let's keep in mind, that this is dating back to 2014:

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/fg ... 6dbc72883/
the fgdata commit logs wrote:commit 1e0d4f83dc8eafc558fb6115941a2776dbc72883
Author: Torsten Dreyer <---->
Date: Tue Oct 7 23:19:09 2014 +0200

browser map: add vfrmap.com overlay

(back in the early days of the project, such permissions/contributions would have been highlighted in $FG_ROOT/Thanks, but I don't seem to find VFRMap.com being mentioned there at all)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Interfacing