Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

Nibiru All-In-One VR Headset

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

Nibiru All-In-One VR Headset

Postby DF_Hammack » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:04 pm

I just bought a Nibiru All-In-One VR Headset, specifically to improve my FG experience. It has a 2560X1440 display res, and a 9 axis motion sensor. Video is input via HDMI, and my GeForce GT640 handles it nicely. Before I go any further let me say, it was worth every penny even if I can't get a full virtual effect. I am not at all disappointed just using it as a monitor, but I wonder if anyone has given any thought to full VR with Nibiru (Nibiru is a Chinese implementation of Android)? I have no idea if there is any Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or USB output from the motion sensors, and frankly, I wouldn't know where to start. With the low cost and dropping price of these headsets (I only paid $200 for mine) I think these may get some traction...
DF_Hammack

Callsign: SilverSplash
Version: 2017.2.1

Re: Nibiru All-In-One VR Headset

Postby DF_Hammack » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:40 am

You know, I have been giving this a little more thought. Even if the motion detectors in the VR headset are a dead end, you could couple this device with an IR headtracker and get full 360X360 virtual reality. Realistically, with one camera sensor, it would be more like 120X120 VR, but no multiple monitors required, just turn your head and view tracks right before your eyes in virtual space, appearing just as it would IRL. I was already considering head tracking, so this makes it just that much more doable.
DF_Hammack

Postby DF_Hammack » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:06 pm

OK Guys! Here it is! headtracking with a VR headset *IS* a reality. I found this video as I was investigating headtracking on YouTube. This is already a done deal in FSX, so I don't see why it can't be done in FG. I will be looking more into this and maybe we can get some interest going here, Here is the video tutorial ....
FREE FSX Headtracking Using Your Smartphone! Trinus Grye and Facetracknoir https://youtu.be/VrXOXvsgQzg
DF_Hammack

Postby KydDynoMyte » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:25 pm

You can use opentrack. It supports FlightGear as an output and let's you use a bunch of different inputs. Works with my Vive using the SteamVR input. The built-in 3D options in FlightGear make it pretty easy to get it into VR. Maybe one day it will just have built-in OpenVR VR support.
https://github.com/opentrack/opentrack/releases
KydDynoMyte

Return to Interfacing