Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

Options for viewing instruments on a tab / screen

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

Options for viewing instruments on a tab / screen

Postby mahela007 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Hi guys

I'm trying to get used to good VFR flying again and therefore, i'd like to have the instruments displayed on a separate screen or device (preferable my iPad). (So that I can zoom out in 3D view without worrying about not being able to see the instruments).
Anyway, I've done some googling and apparently there are several ways this can be done: However, some methods are deprecated, other are in development and yet others don't work.

Can you tell me which one is up to date and which one would be the best to use?

So far, I've seen
FlightGearMap (available only for android; I have an iPad)
FGPanel (I don't understand how to get this one to work.. but it seems to be the newest approach)
Then There's Phi (which uses a web interface but the panel tab within phi doesn't display any instruments, at least in my installation of flight gear. It seems to be broken.

and finally, I stumbled on the "panel in browser" menu option within the flightgear menus. (but this seems to have a much slower refresh rate than phi's EFIS display.)

Based on these observations, I think the best approach would be to use Phi. However, like I said, the "panel" tab in phi doesn't work.
mahela007

Re: Options for viewing instruments on a tab / screen

Postby Parnikkapore » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:21 am

[*] There's a FlightGearMap for iOS. Search the App Store.
[*] The c172p's " Panel in a browser" option is your best bet and uses Phi as its backend. AFAIK the panel option is still not working.
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Re: Options for viewing instruments on a tab / screen

Postby mahela007 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:49 am

I did search for FlightGearMap on iOS but I didn't find anything. Maybe I need to update iOS.
(The wiki says it's for android though)
mahela007

Return to Interfacing