Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

Telnet Depricated?

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

Telnet Depricated?

Postby tokotchD » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:52 pm

According to the flightgear wiki, I see that Telnet Connection is now deprecated?

I'm trying to use Flightgear as a visualizer for a *pre-existing* instance of JSBSim that's outputting Mavlink Packets (to MavProxy as part of the Ardupilot SITL stack). I've written a program that properly parses the Mavlink into Flightgear and is ready to send it to a localhost port, but can never seem to get the right Flightgear commandline parameters in order to actually launch flightgear with no FDM and update it exclusively through the property set commands.

This is my command line so far:

fgfs ^ --native-fdm=socket,in,10,,5505,udp ^--telnet=5501 ^ --fdm=jsb ^ --aircraft=Rascal110-JSBSim ^ --fg-aircraft=%AUTOTESTDIR% ^ --disable-anti-alias-hud ^ --disable-hud-3d ^ --disable-horizon-effect ^ --timeofday=noon ^ --disable-sound ^ --disable-fullscreen ^ --disable-random-objects ^ --disable-ai-models ^ --fog-disable ^ --disable-specular-highlight ^ --disable-anti-alias-hud ^ --wind=0@0 ^pause

Most of the time flightgear will start and allow connections over the 5505 port (according to netstat). But netstat shows no opening on 5501. Connections will happen on 5505, but no flight properties will be set.

One alternative that I've tried with no success is to start flightgear with the "MavLink" protocol and connect it directly to my local pre-existing JSBSim instance (which again, is outputting Mavlink for MavProxy). However, I have not gotten that to work either.
Since the wiki is kind of lacking on this sort of interface, I'm not really sure whether I should persue if my Telnet isn't working or if Telnet is deprecated and I should be focusing on some other aspect of my command line parameters.

Anybody have any tips?
tokotchD

Re: Telnet Depricated?

Postby wkitty42 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:38 pm

i've forwarded your query to the dev mailing list... let's see what happens ;)

BTW: what are all those caret symbols (^) for in your command line?
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby zakalawe » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:23 pm

The telnet protocol is still supported, I'm not sure the wiki states otherwise. For detailed questions about interfacing, you would probably be better to direct this question to the developer mailing list, since there are more people familiar with different network protocols there. In generate I would start with a more minimal command line, and setting both an explicit FDM *and* a network protocol may not work as expected but again this is not my area of expertise.
zakalawe

Callsign: G-ZKLW
Version: next

Postby tokotchD » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:38 pm

I appreciate the help (and the forward the development), But I got what I needed working with an old (3.4.0) version of flight gear. Doesn't work with most recent, but perhaps it's just a slight nuisance with command line.

And AFAIK, ^ is just the "and" for launch options. IIRC it's optional and just helps making it more readable.
tokotchD

Postby yanes » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:52 am

Not sure , but ports in FG usually have "Directions" (in,out,bi) and as a network comm it may need a hostname and the protocol needed
often TCP unless you know well your protocol type
try with
--telnet=socket,bi,5,localhost,5501,tcp

I remember I coded a small tool (In Pascal ) to serve as an autopilot board Here's the source

This worked great in FG 3.4

Good luck .
Yanes Bechir .
yanes

Callsign: YANES
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby Hooray » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 am

nope, telnet/props is not deprecated at all
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to Interfacing