Board index FlightGear Support Interfacing

Interfacing with SkyVector

Connecting two computers, using generic protocol, connecting with Matlab?

Interfacing with SkyVector

Postby eegrek » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:06 pm

I am attempting to use SkyVector as a means of creating a route and using this to get an aircraft, which does not have a route planner attached such as the Cessna P172 or the Seneca, to follow this route.
I have created a route in SkyVector but have no idea how to export this as a gpx file and where to put it in Flightgear. I have a Linux platform which puts flightgear in several different paths. Is anyone able to help with this?
None of the existing posts on the subject seems to fit my requirements.
One post suggests exporting the plan in GoogleMaps Web version (whatever this means) and putting into a particular folder but I do not have this path on my computer.
Many thanks for your interest in this.
eegrek

Callsign: EEGREK
Version: 2020.3.13

Re: Interfacing with SkyVector

Postby Isaak » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:10 pm

In the Skyvector flight plan window, click on the rightmost button with the arrow pointing our of a square and select 'export as gpx'. Save the file anywhere on your computer. In the FlightGear Route manager, click on load flightplan and select the file you just downloaded. The route will be imported in FG.
Want to support medical research with your pc? Start Folding at Home and join team FlightGear!
Isaak

Pronouns: he, him
Callsign: OO-ISA
Version: next

Postby eegrek » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:37 pm

Thank you lsaak - that seems to work fine with B1900D with no problems, but how about the Cessna P172 or the Seneca where there is no Route Manager available, does this mean that there is no other way of importing the route for these aircraft?
eegrek

Postby wkitty42 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:46 pm

you cannot follow an automated route in the c172p... it simply does not have the capability... the most you can do is altitudes and to follow the heading bug... other autopilot features just do not exist in those older craft without modern modifications... the c172p is also modeled after IRL craft...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby eegrek » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:56 am

Thank you polly for your help
Thank you so much for sending the instructions on how to make the Seneca follow a route.
Success at last
These are the steps I have taken to make the seneca follow the flight plan.
I used SkyVector to set up a route and downloaded this into my Downloads Folder as a gpx. file.
I then start Flightgear and at the front page I select Flight-planning from the three dots drop down menue.
I move the slider at the top to Fly with a flight-plan.
I fill in the boxes such as Callsign etc. (Flight rules IFR)
Then I load the route from my Downloads Folder
THEN I SAVE THE ROUTE - this was my missing link
It saves this in my Documents/flightgear Folder as an .fgfp file
I then press Fly.
Once the aicraft is loaded I can see the route in the internal map.
I set up the link NAV to GPS and also set up the first fix point from the start to the first way point.
I make sure the rotary switch is set to NAV and the toggle switch is set to NAV1
All it remains to do is to press the Heading rocker switch to ask the aircraft to follow the route once I am flying.
I also set my Nav radio frequency to the ILS frequency of the airport I am going to.
The Aircraft lined itself up and I only had to adjust speed and altitude to make a fairly good landing.
eegrek

Postby MariuszXC » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:13 pm

FWIW: You can use a route from SkyVector even with the c172p if you use the 'Phi' interface (Menu > Equipment > Map (opens in browser) ) and load the route you saved from SV into the generic route manager in FlightGear (Menu > Autopilot > Route Manager). Then you activate route layer in 'Phi' map and can visually follow it.

It may be argued if it is realistic enough or cheating, but nowadays many pilots of simpler aircraft have their tablet with a similar functionality with them, so it is not entirely unrealistic at least :)
INOP
MariuszXC

Callsign: SP-MRM
Version: 2020.4

Return to Interfacing