Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGRun

GUI for selecting aircraft?

FGRun is a graphical frontend to run FlightGear.

GUI for selecting aircraft?

Postby CptDondo » Mon May 18, 2009 12:58 am

OK, this *has* to be an FAQ, but I can't find it....

Is there some way to select aircraft via a GUI? I'm trying to integrate fgfs into mythtv, and it's all GUI driven. It would be great if I could bring up a gallery of aircraft and have the user pick one to fly....

Is there a frontend to do this? Where?

Thanks,

--Yan
CptDondo

Re: GUI for selecting aircraft?

Postby statto » Mon May 18, 2009 1:21 am

FGRun is a program which crates command line output from a GUI, have you tried that?

Otherwise, if you're running from the command line, the command

fgfs --show-aircraft

Will bring up a list of available aircraft.
Custom Scenery available from http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear
statto

Postby CptDondo » Mon May 18, 2009 1:24 am

selene:/data20/src/flightgear/flightgear-cvs/source# FGRun
bash: FGRun: command not found
selene:/data20/src/flightgear/flightgear-cvs/source# fgrun
bash: fgrun: command not found
selene:/data20/src/flightgear/flightgear-cvs/source# whereis fgrun
fgrun:

I am running linux and I built from source, using bare ./configure.

Is fgrun available for linux, or am I out of luck?

Or, is there a shell script that would do this?

--Yan
CptDondo

Postby statto » Mon May 18, 2009 6:13 am

fgrun exists for Linux here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fgrun

You'll have to compile it. I haven't tried it for Linux, only on my Windows laptop - command line is just easier =)
statto

Postby CptDondo » Mon May 18, 2009 1:49 pm

I found the source; alas it segfaults pretty much all the time.

I've started work on a very simple GUI frontend - basically it scans all the aircraft available, creates a gallery of pics from the thumbnails, and lets you click and choose which one you want to fly. Something my 8 year old can do.

I'm trying to figure out how to do something similar for Airports; there doesn't seem to be any graphical info for airports, or even a way to tell which ones are installed.... How to build a menu of available airports?
CptDondo

Postby Fahim Dalvi » Mon May 18, 2009 1:54 pm

CptDondo wrote:I found the source; alas it segfaults pretty much all the time.

I've started work on a very simple GUI frontend - basically it scans all the aircraft available, creates a gallery of pics from the thumbnails, and lets you click and choose which one you want to fly. Something my 8 year old can do.

I'm trying to figure out how to do something similar for Airports; there doesn't seem to be any graphical info for airports, or even a way to tell which ones are installed.... How to build a menu of available airports?

As Statto Said, FGRun is the application for all this. Thru it, you can set paths, selct aircraft, airport, options, multiplayer, and pretty much every thing that you can change in FG!
Fahim Imaduddin Dalvi
Tracker, Flight Gallery
Fahim Dalvi

Callsign: Fahim
Version: 2018.2.2

Postby CptDondo » Mon May 18, 2009 2:38 pm

As I said, it segfaults all the time.... I can't get it to actually do anything; attempt to save settings, reset to defaults, etc result in instant segfault.

yan@selene:~/Desktop/flight$ fgrun
[the SQL server doesn't allow UTF-8.... So my segv message in Czech causes it to puke] (SIGSEGV)

And the 'Next' button is never highlighted. So at least on my system it's not really useful at all.

From what I can see, fgrun is more-or-less text based. I really need a point-and-click interface. Selecting airports would be nice, if I can find some GUI way of doing it. Presenting the user with a list of 4 letter abbreviations isn't really what I want.

But.... google maps will let me pull up satellite images of the airports. Cool!

Stay tuned.
CptDondo

Postby FlugHund » Mon May 18, 2009 3:00 pm

CptDondo wrote:As I said, it segfaults all the time.... I can't get it to actually do anything; attempt to save settings, reset to defaults, etc result in instant segfault.

I wasn't able to build the 1.5.x versions of fgrun either on Debian. But with the latest svn I had no problems at all:
Code: Select all
svn co http://fgrun.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/fgrun/trunk fgrun

CptDondo wrote:From what I can see, fgrun is more-or-less text based. I really need a point-and-click interface. Selecting airports would be nice, if I can find some GUI way of doing it. Presenting the user with a list of 4 letter abbreviations isn't really what I want.

fgrun definately is a GUI: http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/Fgrun

The 'Next' button will highlight if the paths are set correctly.

CptDondo wrote:I've started work on a very simple GUI frontend - basically it scans all the aircraft available, creates a gallery of pics from the thumbnails, and lets you click and choose which one you want to fly. Something my 8 year old can do.

Thats a very good idea. I thought about something like this, too. But atm I am very short on time...
Especially with older hardware and less than 1 GB RAM this would be very helpfull. I hope you will share it with the community (and me :wink: )

hth 8)
FlugHund

Callsign: D-HUND
IRC name: D-HUND / debdog
Version: next

Postby FlugHund » Mon May 18, 2009 3:21 pm

CptDondo wrote:yan@selene:~/Desktop/flight$ fgrun
[the SQL server doesn't allow UTF-8.... So my segv message in Czech causes it to puke] (SIGSEGV)

Maybe this is handy there: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2167&p=18913#p17253
FlugHund

Postby CptDondo » Tue May 19, 2009 12:01 am

So a little 'customer research'. I've got the basic framework and bits written and tested. Now to actually populate it with real data.

There are thousands of airports and hundreds of airplanes.

The GUI will only have room for a few at a time. Any suggestions on how to sort them? Practical, please. If it's by airplane type, era, country, etc, how do I pull that from the data available in the datasets?

What about airports? Geographic proximity? How to sort for that? Names? Nations? Again, where do I get the data?

What is important to people in the GUI?
CptDondo

Postby FlugHund » Tue May 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi Dondo,

for my project I though I basically would make it like fgrun does. Which means sort Aircrafts and Airports in alphabetical order.

For the Airports:
If they are listed alphabetically by the ICAO they are also listed a little by region. The ICAOs for the installed scnerey I would grab from the names of the subdir trees in $fg-scenery/Airports and then get the each Airport name from $fg-scenery/Airports/index.txt. The available runways and parkpos for each airport is available in the *.threshold.xml in $fg-scenery/Airports/[ICAO path]. The only issue with this is, that this would only work for 1.0.1 sceneries.

Well, still short on on time. I'll continue later....
FlugHund

Postby CptDondo » Wed May 20, 2009 1:01 am

OK, so I've run into a bit of an issue. My plan was to show a satellite image of all installed airports. Google has a great API for grabbing static maps and satellite images. Unfortunately, Google's TOS prohibit caching and downloading; images must be downloaded live into a browser.

The US Gov't sites I've found have a pixel resolution of 60m; far too large to be useful.

Is anyone aware of a site where I can get graphical info (satellite imagery, contour maps, etc) at a scale large enough to see an airport given lat & long? Something I can use to create an icon for each airport?

Can I pull this somehow from the scenery info in the dataset? That dataset must have an airport description; all I need is an image about 240x200 pixels.
CptDondo

Postby statto » Wed May 20, 2009 1:21 am

CptDondo wrote:OK, so I've run into a bit of an issue. My plan was to show a satellite image of all installed airports. Google has a great API for grabbing static maps and satellite images. Unfortunately, Google's TOS prohibit caching and downloading; images must be downloaded live into a browser.

The US Gov't sites I've found have a pixel resolution of 60m; far too large to be useful.

Is anyone aware of a site where I can get graphical info (satellite imagery, contour maps, etc) at a scale large enough to see an airport given lat & long? Something I can use to create an icon for each airport?

Can I pull this somehow from the scenery info in the dataset? That dataset must have an airport description; all I need is an image about 240x200 pixels.

Why not use a shapefile from mapserver.flightgear.org?
statto

Postby CptDondo » Wed May 20, 2009 1:36 am

I hate to reveal my ignorance, but how do I translate the resulting shx files into .jpg|png|something gtk can display?

Thanks,

--Yan
CptDondo

Return to FGRun