Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGRun

FGRun for WIN7?

FGRun is a no-longer maintained graphical frontend to run FlightGear.

FGRun for WIN7?

Postby Abbeyman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:04 pm

Good evening everyone,

I'm new to FG coming from FS2004. I think this project is great as it is basing on a huge community and under promising development.

I tried to install an A320 to FG and after the manual installation under C\:USER\MyDocuments\Flightgear\Aircraft doesn't work out, I downloaded FGRun from the sourceforge page. Opening the package I found an unreadable "Readme". Finally I recognized that it is obviously made for Linux. Is there a Windows version available? I searched the forum but couldn't find an answer - so please allow me to place this question here.

With best regards

Jan
Abbeyman

Re: FGRun for WIN7?

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:16 am

Welcome to FlightGear!

It's been so long since I ran FGRun I can't tell you much about it anymore. But yes it used to run on the Windows platform. However it is outdated and no longer "officially" supported. FG for windows I think comes default with the QTLauncher built in. Start FG with the parameter of --launcher and you should get a nice GUI to set up FG like you used to with FGRun. I have used both and I don't know of anything I can do with FGRun that I can't do with the new launcher.

Because FGRun is no longer supported you have to build and compile it yourself. Unless someone has a binary available for it somewhere.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby Thorsten » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:38 am

Actually, a plan vanilla install of FG under Windows automatically starts the launcher when you click on the shortcut.
Thorsten

Postby Abbeyman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm

:-) Obviously I have the launcher already. If I start FG I get a nice menue where I can change settings, etc. But I don't know how it helps me to install an aircraft. The A320 does not appear in the list. I will try further tonight.

Best regards
Jan
Abbeyman

Postby wlbragg » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:48 pm

The A320 does not appear in the list.

Oh, I see. You need to point the launcher to the location where you installed the aircraft.

See https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33226&hilit=+launcher+find+aircraft#p321978

That example is showing how to point to additional "scenery". Look at the bottom section for pointing at additional aircraft (not the middle section).
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Return to FGRun