Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGRun

Newbie question

FGRun is a no-longer maintained graphical frontend to run FlightGear.

Newbie question

Postby cvj » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:53 am

I am new to FsFlightgear and still trying to figure this excellent flight simulator out.

Somehow, I always end up with the "default" scenario wit the Cessna 172 on the runway in KSFO. If I change airports to e.g. KSEA, that change has to be done again the next time I start up.

What I want to ask is if there is a simple (not Command line) way to start up where I left off?

I also noticed, that if I try to change aircraft from the Cessna to say the B737, the small "Run" bottom in the lower right corner becomes grayed out and does not respond. Again, is there a simple way to fix that?

I realize that a lot of users are into programming, but I am just a novice used to a GUI interface like FS 2002 (ancient)!
cvj

Re: Newbie question

Postby Parnikkapore » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:37 am

Note: It sounds like you are running an old version of FlightGear. What version are you using, and are you considering updating?

Strange... The launcher should remember where you last started unless you picked something else!
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby cvj » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:49 pm

No, I am running FlightGear 2017.1.3 downloaded yesterday and installed on a new Windows 10 laptop.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the program today - still with the same disappointing result.

I have also searched the files for the "QT Launcher" and "fgrun.exe" - and neither is there.

So the only way I can start FSFG is to click on the Windows desktop icon..

Also noted, that even though I selected terrasync that does not update the scenery "on the fly", so I manually downloaded and installed a bunch of tar.gz files in the scenery folder and that worked..

I also downloaded the FlightGear manual dated January 21, 2016, but since that is based on FlightGear version 3.6.0 that did not help find the QT Launcher.
cvj

Postby jam007 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:06 pm

cvj wrote in Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:53 am:I also noticed, that if I try to change aircraft from the Cessna to say the B737, the small "Run" bottom in the lower right corner becomes grayed out and does not respond.

Is this similar to what you see when starting FlightGear?
If so you see the QT Launcher.
To use other aircraft than the Cessna you need to download them first. You can do that directly under the Aircraft tab. There is an install button in the aircraft description area. When the download is complete Run will be black again and respond.
jam007

Callsign: LOOP
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby wlbragg » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:11 pm

The qt launcher is accessed by passing the --launcher flag during execution of fgfs.exe.

In Window you can make a shortcut and add --launcher there.
Kansas and Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA, 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
Intel i7/GeForce RTX 2070/Max-Q
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Postby dilbert » Mon May 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Sounds like you have had some familiarity with an earlier version or found old info on the Wiki.

As of now we have a new version of the launcher which works a little differently, but well once installed.

The default airplane is the Cessna. To see all the add-on aircraft, go to the "aircraft" menu at top. Leave the search line empty, but click the search token. The program will then show you how to activate the add-on aircraft hangar. Uncheck "show only installed aircraft" and "only show aircraft based on completeness" boxes to see all the aircraft. You may have already discovered this; but otherwise, how did you install the Boeing? And, if not from the add-on hangar, where and how was it installed?

The scenery should not require any installation on your part. When you start, it should display Bergen, Norway (not KSFO)
in default. Thereafter, TerraSync should automatically add new sections of scenery to your TerraSync file when you select new airports under "location" (you use the back-up arrow and enter the location name or airport identifier in search, then click to select before runing). What file did you copy the TGZ files to?

Suggest you go to >FlightGear>2017.1.3>uninstall and execute it. Then go to C>Users>{your computer name}>AppData>Roaming>and delete flightgear.org ( this file, which an uninstall does not delete would otherwise retain your previous start info) ; then reinstall the program and start over. You should come up on the runway at Bergen and be able to run, select aircraft, location, etc.

If "run" doesn't initially work under "summary", go to "aircraft" and click it there. Thereafter, it will work under "summary" (seems like I ran into this problem once earlier, and it may not be fixed). If that doesn't work, be sure an aircraft (in this case the Cessna) is highlighted, as "run" won't work without an aircraft being selected.

Recommend the above because I believe others have gotten into trouble pasting into files the old way and seemingly came up with conflicts within the program.

Also, based on another newby's installation problem, believe there might be a gitch in the program that only surfaces with a new installation in windows 10; but doesn't affect people just upgrading.. So if the above fails to work, add to your post, seeking further help. Let us know how it goes.

Best Regards and welcome. :)
dilbert

Callsign: db1
Version: 220.3.19

Return to FGRun