Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGRun

FGRun with version 3.4 and maybe 3.2

FGRun is a no-longer maintained graphical frontend to run FlightGear.

FGRun with version 3.4 and maybe 3.2

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:59 am

Strange effects happen. If the <propertyList>-tag has an include and this include points to a file outside of the current plane project, for example, my JPack, the plane doesn't show up in the launcher. It works with the FGRun delivered with 3.0, I had no chnace to chekc on 3.2 and the error doesn't occur with the 3.5 (thanks IAHM-COL for checking this out). So it's once more the 3.4 packet ... well, no surprise there.
Well, we are already waiting for the "official" 3.6 coming with Qt5 and all the bells and whistles, so the problem is probably kind of outdated and worth no error report anymore, but if someone has a workaround for the poor people unable to start FG under Windows from a command prompt, I guess, it would be appreciated.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Callsign: JWOCKY
Version: 3.0.0

Re: FGRun with version 3.4 and maybe 3.2

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:34 am

Yesterday and today I did a little work diagnosing this situation, but for the 3.5 launcher.

The StratoFortress-Jsb found here: https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/StratoFortress-Jsb

It has a property list tag in the StratoFortressH-Jsb-set.xml that has an include like so:

<PropertyList include="Aircraft/JPack/Interface.xml" >

If I leave the property tag as is then the StratoFortress does not show up in the aircraft selection of the winNightly3.5 Qt Launcher.

I was able to get the StratoFortress to list in the launcher by doing this:

<PropertyList> <!-- include="Aircraft/JPack/Interface.xml" -->

That is, commenting out the include.

After the plane shows in the list, I then uncomment the include so that the plane will load with all of the JPack features by returning the file to it's original condition before launching the simulator

It would appear that there may be some issue with the ProperlyList tag when the QT5 launcher reads the -set.xml.

There are no problems launching the plane with the command line, or by uncommenting the include after getting the plane to list in the launcher by commenting out the include.

--Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Johan G » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:17 am

Ouch. That seems like a bug. I kind of wonder what other aircraft it would break. If you have not already, it may be a good idea to report it as a bug at the bug tracker.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:09 pm

All planes with an include in the property-tag that leads outside of the actual plane project. Probably also in other planes as it looks. That is my Lineage, the 767s, the Stratofotress, Condor, Flyingfortress, Koenigsadler, C-18-JSB and some tohers, I don#t remember at the moment. Additionally, it will probably hit at some point all FGUK planes with additional packages, all Dave Culp with additional packages and maybe, I'm not sure about that one though, PH-ONOX.
So what, roughly fifty to 60 planes all together?
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:25 pm

PH-ONOX's Osprey's list fine in the Qt5 Lawn-chair. I have not knowingly installed a Dave Culp plane since v2.0, so I can not remark about that.

For the 3.5 lawn-chair, I think it has trouble sometimes reading the PropertyList Tag if the tag includes an include, and I have no evidence that the problem is reading files in another aircraft folder, but who knows at this point.

I was hoping there would be some more input from people testing this before a formal bug report: a forumal ( hehe ) bug report first, then the formal.

I do know that the plane does load properly because if I were to leave the include commented out then the fancy new menu additions would not load like it does when I uncomment out the include before running the sim.

-- Over
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:53 pm

Well, yeah, those fancy new menu additions ... unfortunately invisible for you also some initialization is left out when you comment out the include. So breaking planes to cater to an error in FGRun and Qt5 launcher seems to me at this point rather senseless.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:54 pm

A second plane to test in the Qt5 Lawn-chair is the A6M2 Zero.

If I comment out
<PropertyList> <!-- include="A6M2-base.xml" -->
The plane will list in the launcher, and then I can select it, and then I can uncomment out the include and then I get a keyboard binding error, in the -base.xml at line 189, column 4,

<keyboard include="../../Input/Keyboard/carrier-bindings.xml">

so rather than just fixing the path ( because this plane assumes it is installed in the write protected flightgear program files folder, I moved a copy of of carrier-bindings.xml into the plane and changed the path to just "carrier-bindings.xml"

<keyboard include="carrier-bindings.xml">

and then the plane loads fine when I uncomment out the include.

<PropertyList include="A6M2-base.xml" >

Note that in this case the file is not outside the folder of the aircraft. So that's not the problem. At least not in Qt5. Instead the problem is the launcher reading the more complex property tag when include is included.

( I wonder if include is a qt word )

-- Over :)

Post edit, Again, this is not a problem with the plane, but with the launchers reading the propertytags
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:00 pm

Now that is weird because a lot of other planes use the same technique with includes in the same project and at least some of them, those we had time to check on, showed up.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:06 pm

D'OH! fixing by moving the carrier-bindings.xml to the plane and fixing the path means I don't have to hack at the

<PropertyList include="A6M2-base.xml" >

SO that means I could be wrong about the tag all together.

Possibly something in
the interface file is a problem. But I provided a blank Interface.xml as a test and that test did not list the plane. Trying again.

-- Over :)
( good news for the Zero in 3.5 )
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby Jabberwocky » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:14 pm

Well, according to IAHM-COL, good news for my planes in 3.5 as well. They show up and he provided somewhere on the board screen shots. And no, I will not copy the whole JPack in each and any plane because one or two versions of FGRun can't dow what is in the XML-specs.
Jabberwocky
Retired

Postby clrCoda » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:31 pm

I can't comment on what Israel said because I have no idea what he said or where he said it.

BUT!

I added an xml header to many JPack XML's that didn't include one. Such a large job to check them all, I leave it as an exorcise to the student to fix that bit.

Unrfortunately, adding all the headers did nothing to get the 3.5Qt5Lawn-Chair<did you mean Launcher? No google, it's not yet a launcher, I'll let you know> to list the plane without hacking the PropertlyList include.

At least there is a workaround that works around as a work around.

Pease Be Apon The Planet! -- :)
Ray
Ray St. Marie
clrCoda

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:42 am

Hi Ray
I have no idea of QT5 launcher. I don t have qt5, so it does not compile for me ;)
I tested the good old "fgrun" and now after an updated compilation I can see aircraft with JPack just fine

Another thing. Before your change, the zero was good for the old fgrun.
After your correction on the base.xml file, it is still perfect. :D

If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall
IAHM-COL
Retired

Callsign: HK-424D or ICAO4243
Version: 3.7-git

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:51 am

All we windows guys need is an updated artefact on jenkins, so we gcan get the latest.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Postby Jabberwocky » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:20 pm

CirCoda ... Ray ... you changed headers in the JPack-files? Really? But you realize, they are bound in by "include" means, the header comes from the plane files ... uhhhh ... I hope the mess is not too wild. What a work to turn back what the student did ...
Jabberwocky
Retired

Return to FGRun