Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGRun

Use local (detailed) weather by default

FGRun is a no-longer maintained graphical frontend to run FlightGear.

Use local (detailed) weather by default

Postby clipper996 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:30 pm

Is there a way to make FlightGear use the detailed weather rather than basic on start up?

It kinda get's boring having to switch every time on start.
clipper996

Re: Use local (detailed) weather by default

Postby Thorsten » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:29 am

Sure - it's down to a single line of Nasal with a listener tied to startup / the arrival of a METAR string which launches AW. The reason this isn't implemented is that there's resistance among some core developers to automatically launch a large Nasal system. If you search the forum a bit, you'll find you're not the first one asking the question and I have posted the solution somewhere.
Thorsten

Postby Hooray » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:15 am

AW could probably be modified to start up automatically after checking a property, which is then merely set via --prop:
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby punkepanda » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:59 am

That is a joke! Why core developers should care about what preferences the core user prefer at startup.
The option dialog remembers ALS then why not AW.. That just don't make sense not to have the option dialog remember it.

My guess would be that so called core developers don't know how to make that options, or Thorsten is the core developer of AW, correct?
punkepanda

Callsign: LostFlight
Version: 2.12

Postby clipper996 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:08 pm

Thorsten wrote in Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:29 am:Sure - it's down to a single line of Nasal with a listener tied to startup / the arrival of a METAR string which launches AW. The reason this isn't implemented is that there's resistance among some core developers to automatically launch a large Nasal system. If you search the forum a bit, you'll find you're not the first one asking the question and I have posted the solution somewhere.

I couldn't really find the post you're referring to, so if you don't mind please post or send me the link to it.
clipper996

Postby Hooray » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:59 pm

I looked for "start weather automatically property" and found this:

Subject: A local weather system (v1.4 available)
Thorsten wrote:
Just one short question: Is there a property to start local weather at startup?

Currently not. If you know some Nasal, to start it automatically is just one additional line into a Nasal file though. If people want such a feature, it's easy enough to implement, but it only makes sense in combination with real weather fetch anyway.

There are probably more specific instructions somewhere - but the crux of it is that it's a conventional Nasal submodule, and the init logic can also be executed directly.
You'll want to check the local_weather folder and look for listeners associated with the "loaded" signal, e.g.: https://gitorious.org/fg/fgdata/source/ ... er.nas#L77
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Return to FGRun