Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGRun

FG loading times.  Topic is solved

FGRun is a no-longer maintained graphical frontend to run FlightGear.

FG loading times.

Postby BRT » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:33 pm

Recently i got a new 500gb hard drive. I downloaded FG and the time from FGrun to FG being loaded was very short, ( about 25 seconds)

After using flightgear and the computer more (installing more programs) the loading time has incresed a lot (about 5-7 mins)

I have only used 100gb out of the available 500 so does anyone know what could cause this slow down?

Many thanks!!
BRT

Re: FG loading times.

Postby BRT » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Any help pls?
BRT

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:14 am

well, to be honest: you didn't provide a lot of information - for example, am I right in guessing that this happening on a Windows OS PC, or Mac or is it on Linux ?

Low loading speed is largely a function of high I/O throughput (i.e. SSD drives), lots of *free* RAM (to avoid swapping) and fairly fast CPU cores (our boot sequence is largely single-threaded).

So depending on your OS and configuration/settings, you may want to run a system monitor to see what's going on.
Overall, this is really a matter of common sense - for example, what about "hot cache" booting, i.e. is startup faster after having run FG at least once ?
What about changing aircraft/airport ?

To see how much of this is related to your startup settings, see the "level 0" startup profile detailed at: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Debugging_extreme_lag
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Help write next month's newsletter !
pui2canvas | MapStructure | Canvas Development | Programming resources
Hooray

Pronouns: THOU

Postby BRT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks for reply!!

sorry using WIN XP SP3 with FG 2.10

I'll try that, would a defrag. help?
BRT

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:02 pm

That's just one possibility - check how many processes are running, check the total load of your system (bring the monitor up via CTRL + ALT + DEL) and then proceed from there. There are tons of possibilities as to why a system may stop performing well, especially a Windows computer (viruses, malware, driver issues, lots of swapping, too little disk space, too many running processes, antivirus programs installed in parallel etc ...)
Please don't send support requests by PM, instead post your questions on the forum so that all users can contribute and benefit
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby BRT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 pm

there are about 60 processes in task manager, is that too high? I also did a malware scan and deleted 3 viruses.

thanks!
BRT

Postby Hooray » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:21 pm

wow 3 viruses, really ?
You may want to read up online regarding the nature of the viruses that you found/deleted - because it's pretty likely that you are not able to delete them fully, in fact many viruses are just used to load others from the internet - and they often disable antivirus software. Personally, I'd consider doing backups of important data, and then re-installing the OS from scratch - installing the latest A/V tools and firewalls directly after the fresh install, updating all drivers and creating a recovery backup afterwards. Also, don't run any executables from other media without first having scanned all external devices (CD/DVD, USB memory stick, external hard drives).

As a compromise, you could get an offline virus installed put it onto a CD/DVD or usb stick and then boot your PC using the antivirus software - which will then do a full offline scan of your system, that should tell you if there are more problems found or not.

Speaking in general, never trust a system that got compromised once!
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby BRT » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 pm

OK will do that i think, but not re-install OS because i don't have an XP disc.
:D
BRT

Postby Hooray » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:08 am

having a virus (or even 3+) is a bad thing - especially if you are using your computer for "serious" stuff (work, private mail, banking, family photos etc) - you really will NOT want to use a compromised system. Usually, having more than a single virus at the same time means that additional viruses were loaded through the original exploit - which is pretty common behavior, and which basically means that ARBITRARY code could be executed on your PC, possibly even using a "live" connection - i.e. accessing passwords, PINs/TANs and so on.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Postby Johan G » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:54 am

Hooray wrote in Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:08 am:...ARBITRARY code could be executed on your PC, possibly even using a "live" connection - i.e. accessing passwords, PINs/TANs and so on.

What is worse, though maybe not on a personal level, is that an infected computer in these days may be a Zombie, an infected computer in a botnet controlled by a criminal. As such it might be used in various attacks made together with many other zombies in the botnet, probably without the user even noticing anything.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby BRT » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm

:evil: :? :o

That sounds rather bad.
Do you know of any program which will delete all viruses ?

Sorry its not an option to re-install the OS.

Many thanks for info!

CORRECTION: It is 'malware' which i found out is different to a virus
BRT

Postby Hooray » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:25 pm

BRT wrote in Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:35 pm:Do you know of any program which will delete all viruses ?

Yes: re-install the OS, and check all storage devices before booting the new OS.
There's no way around it, viruses that load other viruses, or even botnets, are next to impossible to detect fully - still, your best bet would be using a different OS to scan your hard disks. DO NOT USE the infected OS until it's been checked.

CORRECTION: It is 'malware' which i found out is different to a virus

That's the wrong place here, but in general, malware is well-suited for loading viruses from various places.
Thanks & all the best,
Hooray
Hooray

Return to FGRun