Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGRun

Not Able to Run FlightGear 2.4.0

FGRun is a no-longer maintained graphical frontend to run FlightGear.

Not Able to Run FlightGear 2.4.0

Postby Tony D » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Following info is for my HP All-In-One computer:

OS - Windows 7, Home Premium 64bit
FG - Version 2.4.0
GC - ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
Does problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport - Don't know, haven't gotten that far
is there any output printed to the console (black window) - No

What you see in the image below is as far as I got, also you will see the "Prev" and "Next" buttons are greyed out. What is causing this and why is it that I cannot go any further?

Following info is for my HP Pavilion P7-1118 computer:

OS - Windows 7, Home Premium 64bit
FG - Version 2.4.0
GC - Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Does problem occur with any aircraft, at any airport - Don't know, haven't gotten that far
is there any output printed to the console (black window) - Yes

I tried to run Flight Gear but I got as far as what you see in the image below. As for the Dos Window, even though I got the No Disk Window the program kept on loading the necessary executables(?). I was told the reason for the fgfs.exe - No Disk window is the osg80-osgDB.dll is probably corrupt. I got the latest osg80-osgDB.dll and copied over the corrupted one and still I get the "No Disk" window. Is this a flightgear version 2.4.0 bug or is it a windows bug?

I have been having this problem ever since I first downloaded and installed flightgear 2.4.0 from flightgear.org website around December 7, 2011. I even purchased a cd from Curt Olson and installed it but I still have the problem. I posed this problem to the forum but I have not gotten any help from the forum. I even posted it to the mailing list and XChat IRC but no help from either organization. I would like, if possible, to have someone who is connected to the developement team to help me out on this.

Tony
Tony D

Re: Not Able to Run FlightGear 2.4.0

Postby Sealbhach » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:44 am

Looks like you need to tell it where the Aircraft folder is. See the big white box with nothing in it? That's probably the problem. Point it to the aircraft folder which will be .../data/Aircraft.

Sealbhach

Postby Johan G » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:58 am

I have looked at your other topics (Cannot get Flight Gear to Run and OpenGL error) to see if I can get any more clues from those, which I couldn't. But thank you anyway for your detailed reports! :D

I seems to me like you need more help than I alone can give, but I can at least try. :|

Tony D wrote in Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:40 pm:Following info is for my HP All-In-One computer:
What you see in the image below is as far as I got, also you will see the "Prev" and "Next" buttons are greyed out. What is causing this and why is it that I cannot go any further?

That's really odd. I can't see any obvious errors in the paths, i.e. the location of fgfs.exe goes to the executable and the directories to directories. I guess you have allready double checked that the paths go to the correct directories using the browse buttons.

EDIT:
Sealbhach wrote in Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:44 am:Looks like you need to tell it where the Aircraft folder is. See the big white box with nothing in it? That's probably the problem. Point it to the aircraft folder which will be .../data/Aircraft.

Could be it. :)

END of EDIT

Tony D wrote in Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:40 pm:Following info is for my HP Pavilion P7-1118 computer:
I tried to run Flight Gear but I got as far as what you see in the image below. As for the Dos Window, even though I got the No Disk Window the program kept on loading the necessary executables(?). I was told the reason for the fgfs.exe - No Disk window is the osg80-osgDB.dll is probably corrupt. I got the latest osg80-osgDB.dll and copied over the corrupted one and still I get the "No Disk" window. Is this a flightgear version 2.4.0 bug or is it a windows bug?

It seems you have seen at least a few of the posts in the topic Windows No Disk error, but I recommend reading through all of it if you haven't done that yet, as some have attributed the "No Disk" error to bad USB device management in Windows and have found other work arounds.

It is quite puzzling that only some people seem to have this problem, while most don't. :(

Tony D wrote in Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:40 pm:I even purchased a cd from Curt Olson and installed it but I still have the problem. I posed this problem to the forum but I have not gotten any help from the forum. I even posted it to the mailing list and XChat IRC but no help from either organization. I would like, if possible, to have someone who is connected to the developement team to help me out on this.

I sure hope that more help will come so you can get started in FlightGear, and I can see that you have been troubled by this since at least a whole month. :(

Hang in there, don't give up.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Tony D » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:01 am

Well, finally got FlightGear 2.4.0 to run but I hit a snag as you see in both photos. It seems that I originally uploaded the same photo twice. Now, I have it right this time.

Can anyone answer the questions I have in both photos?

Last edited by Tony D on Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony D

Postby Johan G » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:03 pm

For future reference, could you tell us how you got it working? Could be helpful next time. :wink:

The messages about locked working copies (directories?) can be safely ignored. The the stuff gets in fact downloaded there anyway. :roll: :D

Also I usually have TerraSync turned off while flying, as my computer is quite a bit slow and lags pretty much when TerraSync starts.

EDIT: Oh, of course: Congratulations! :D
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby 3ric » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:19 pm

as for the "prev" and "next" buttons being greyed out, run the flightgear wizard (place where you pick your aircraft and airport, etc) as administrator. i had this problem with my computer too. if the console says something like "unable to open SCSI controller, error code 0x...." then I am 95% sure you have to run as an admin. windows 7 does this so only the admin is allowed to access the host controller, so if someone that is non-admin tries to access it, the host controller returns an error code. I had the same exact problem.

here's some info:
Code: Select all
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI_host_adapter

hope this helps

Eric
I love doing dumb things in flightgear :D
3ric

Callsign: cooldude

Return to FGRun