Board index Other Hangar talk Real aviation

Sightseeing flight with the D-MSJA

The "real" thing.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Sightseeing flight with the D-MSJA

Postby HHS » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi,

Some time ago I was invited to a sightseeing trip with the D-MSJA. D-MSJA? Yep, the FK-9, a microlight which virtual counterpart you maybe know: http://helijah.free.fr/flightgear/les-appareils/fk9/appareil.htm.
Pilot was no one others than Maik, our FlightGear developer who is responsible for all our heli-fdms and other interesting things!

We started at Rossfeld, a small gliderfied on the swabian alb and base of this aircraft, made a full stop at a small microlight field in Sulz and went back again to Rossfeld.

But first- the real one- that's how it really looks : Image

Maik taxing - before we start we needed some fuel: Image

The real cockpit- I've documented it with a lot of pics: Image

Then we started- wow, how much power such a small aircraft has! The first interesting point was the Roßberg-Tower, an interesting spot to visit when you are here at the swabian alb!Image

Somewhere down I'm living :wink: :Image

The next point- the most interesting one- Castle Hohenzollern!Image
Very interesting to many pilots - including military pilots who uses this very often as waypoint!

While crusing- the small box with the antenna at the left top of the panel is a FLARM - would be great to have it in FGFS!

Full stop at Sulz. A field just for microlights and motorized paragliders and Trikes. Runway length about 300m / 1000ft and more than dozen aircrafts are based there:

After a small pause we flew back- here above the Wurmlinger Chapell:

Weather was great- we could even see the Airport EDDS which was still more than 10-20nm away from our route.

Before we landed we had to do the base pattern- another aircraft was in front of us, practice some Touch N' Go's- so I had the chance of making some Air-to Air-shots: Image

After a nice Touchdown ( but the pilot wasn't satisfied ;-)) we watched a bit the traffic. Gilder pilots and motorglider pilots practiced starts and landings:

It was a great day and I have to say many, many thanks to Maik for that great pleasure!
Up, up and away
HHS
Retired

Version: GIT

Re: Sightseeing flight with the D-MSJA

Postby snipey » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:17 pm

nce pictures :D
but i didnt know you could use a tomtom in the air
snipey

Callsign: snipey

Postby Avionyx » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:29 pm

snipey wrote:nce pictures :D

VFR pilots quote often use roads for navigation, in a small aircraft, why pay out €2000+ plus for a fully functional Nav system you might never use? A tomtom shows the roads and towns just fine and costs perhaps just €80, with aviation fuel prices the way they are I think more pilots are turning to cheaper systems, and if you'd normally only use a map, and have a tomtom for your car, then its an extra bit of safety for no extra cost.

Great pictures by the way, looks like there's a lot of great flying to be had over there, perhaps next summer I'll make it over to do some!

Alex
Avionyx

Callsign: G-AVYX

Postby gooneybird » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:36 pm

WOW :!: I can't think of a better way to spend a day :mrgreen:
Very nice pics 8)
gooneybird

Postby HHS » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Avionyx wrote:

VFR pilots quote often use roads for navigation, in a small aircraft, why pay out €2000+ plus for a fully functional Nav system you might never use? A tomtom shows the roads and towns just fine and costs perhaps just €80, with aviation fuel prices the way they are I think more pilots are turning to cheaper systems, and if you'd normally only use a map, and have a tomtom for your car, then its an extra bit of safety for no extra cost.

Great pictures by the way, looks like there's a lot of great flying to be had over there, perhaps next summer I'll make it over to do some!

Alex

The TomTom was used additional. It produced the log files so Maik could read out and give me the route you see in the first image.
Up, up and away
HHS
Retired

Postby MAKG » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:46 pm

It's not legal to use a handheld GPS as a safety device. Secondary navigation is absolutely fine, but you must have some other way to get around.

TomToms are not exactly bulletproof, and I would never, ever, ever bet my life on one. A GUI freeze in Kennedy conditions (twilight, poor horizon visiblity, lack of landmarks, but VFR) would ruin your whole day.

Technically, it has to be crash rated, but I don't think anyone will give a private aircraft grief. If you were charging people for a ride, that's something else.
MAKG

Postby HHS » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:53 pm

MAKG wrote:It's not legal to use a handheld GPS as a safety device. Secondary navigation is absolutely fine, but you must have some other way to get around.

TomToms are not exactly bulletproof, and I would never, ever, ever bet my life on one. A GUI freeze in Kennedy conditions (twilight, poor horizon visiblity, lack of landmarks, but VFR) would ruin your whole day.

Technically, it has to be crash rated, but I don't think anyone will give a private aircraft grief. If you were charging people for a ride, that's something else.

It wasn't used as safety device. Even not as secondary navigation- the weather was fine enough. Just for tracking the route and as entertainment for the pax! :lol: (I didn't used it- it was more fun to look out the window)
Up, up and away
HHS
Retired

Postby Maik » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi,

I just found this article today.

First of all: the microlight is equipped with a complete vfr-instrumentation which is used for navigation (pilot, compass and airspeed indicator). :wink:

Additional there is radio navigation, a (old) garmin gps and I am using a tomtom, but not running the original tomtom software, but ttmaps, a free software for displaying rasterized maps, which has also basic navigation features and the ability to display the ground elevation.

If you compare the pictures with the D-MSJA in FlightGear you see different wheels and no wheel pants. Last summer we exchanged the small wheels by larger "Tundra" wheels (due to the bumpiness of its home-base "Rossfeld").

Maik
Maik

Return to Real aviation