Board index Other Hangar talk Real aviation

How to survive a long haul flight

The "real" thing.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

How to survive a long haul flight

Postby pilecarls8 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:51 pm

How have y’all done on long haul flights? I’m talking like 10-12+ hours. My dream is to go to New Zealand one day but I’m just so afraid of flying for that long. I’m mostly afraid of the claustrophobic feeling and turbulence. What helped you guys?

My longest flight was 6.5 hours.
pilecarls8

Re: How to survive a long haul flight

Postby Marsdolphin » Thu May 28, 2020 1:58 am

I have been on 12+ hour flights
Umm, try to watch TV, or films, and look outside to view some spectacular scenery
Most important is that you relax during the flight during the duration of the flight.
And, don't be afraid of turbulence. You're a FG player so you should know that turbulence will not crash your plane. Get a bag if u need it.
You can walk around the plane when the seatbelt signs are off, etc. Basically, you want to get something for you to do, and just relax. It's a voyage.

Best regards,
Mars.
Find me in Multiplayer as "Mars006". I fly all around the world, but I usually hang out in ZBAA and the surrounding airports.
Everyone be safe and let's hope the pandemic can be over soon.
Have fun flying!
Marsdolphin

Callsign: Mars006, mars006
Version: 2020.1.3

Re: How to survive a long haul flight

Postby MouseMaster » Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 pm

Booze, mostly. A whisky chaser calms the take-off nerves and after that I'm alright. Eat the food (I actually like airplane meals), chill out and watch the scenery. Sleep, get up and have a stretch, move about. I flew from Singapore to NZ a few years ago, 777, had a whole row to myself. Got comfy and watched a movie. I used to fly a lot for work, business class definitely helped on the long-hauls to Africa, I made the most of the lounge.
MouseMaster

Return to Real aviation