Board index Other Hangar talk Real aviation

Non-pilot steals Dash-8 for joyride and crashes

The "real" thing.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Non-pilot steals Dash-8 for joyride and crashes

Postby Johan G » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:47 pm

This one is quite tragic. :(

Someone working for Horizon Air steals a Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 (perm) from Seattle–Tacoma International Airport (KSEA) (perm) for a joyride, doing some simpler aerobatics until he crashes. All this while the controller tries to make him fly to an airport and attempt a landing.

VASAviation: STOLEN DASH-8 MAKES AN UNAUTHORIZED TAKEOFF at SeaTac (8 min)

VASAviation: *PART 2* STOLEN DASH-8 MAKES AN UNAUTHORIZED TAKEOFF at SeaTac (7 min)

VASAviation: *PART 3* AUDIO OF THE INTERCEPT TO THE STOLEN DASH at SeaTac (7 min)

Aviation Safety Network: ASN Aircraft accident de Havilland Canada DHC-8-402Q Dash 8 N449QX Ketron Island, WA
Wikipedia: 2018 Horizon Air Q400 incident (perm)
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Re: Non-pilot steals Dash-8 for joyride and crashes

Postby massima » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:45 pm

Someone should introduce a security system to avoid plane start up for any person except pilots. Interesting audios, thanks
I'm scared how many crazy men there are out there (he was used to fly sims)!!!
massima

Callsign: M-AXX
Version: 2020.4.0

Postby Johan G » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:02 pm

massima wrote in Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:45 pm:Someone should introduce a security system to avoid plane start up for any person except pilots.

I think for things like these even a rather small threshold, like a simple key (like in the C172) would suffice.

Speculating here, but It would not surprise me if he did not initially have a plan, and vent into it a bit like: "Hmm, I wonder what the cockpit in a real one looks like?", "I wonder if I know enough to start the engines?", "Wow, maybe I even can take off?".
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:56 pm

IIRC, this fellow was a mechanic on those craft at SeaTac... he was dealing with some RL problems and was close to being talked down but, again, IIRC, his fuel was getting very low which may have contributed to the crash... yes, it was tragic...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Return to Real aviation