Board index Other Hangar talk Real aviation

[idea][Jet engine] replace N1/N2 shaft with electric system

The "real" thing.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

[idea][Jet engine] replace N1/N2 shaft with electric system

Postby www2 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:20 am

This is an random idea that i have for replacing the N1 and N2 shaft with a electrical system.
I know i have not the correct background and i see some extra complexity to the engine design but the pros for this is that if the power plan part breaks down the can the fan part of the engine use energy form the other engine.
A other use is removal of the APU bleed air for a full electronic starting system and each compressor blade can be control independent be a software system for the most optimal compression and this count for the turbine stage.
What do you think about my idea for a electric shaft turbojet?
www2

Re: [idea][Jet engine] replace N1/N2 shaft with electric sys

Postby erik » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:59 am

I've had the same idea but with just replacing the N1 fan propulsion for GTF engines. The biggest problem is likely the extra weight of the batteries. You'll need a tremendous amount of them.

Erik
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Postby www2 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:38 pm

I think more about using the turbine stage as generator than use of batteries.
www2

Postby erik » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:03 pm

That could be a great option indeed.
Current: Parachutist, Paraglider, Pterosaur, Pilatus PC-9M and variants, ERCO Ercoupe, Fokker Dr.1, Fokker 50, Fokker 100
Less active: Cessna T-37, T-38, Santa Claus. Previous: General Dynamics F-16. Worked on: Wright Flyer
erik

Return to Real aviation