Board index Other Hangar talk Real aviation

Shortest runway ever

The "real" thing.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Shortest runway ever

Postby LesterBoffo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:49 pm

It might be a sad ending note on this young man's story, but the Youtube comments seem to imply that he recently lost his life. I'm assuming to his bravery with flying into difficult areas. The other videos he's uploaded are also witness to this daring.

My condolences to his family if this is true.

But also in the same vein Johan, why isn't the deadstick take off and landing any worse? I see it as much more risky, the 'landing area' on top of Prairie mountain is relatively smooth, it has some pitch and undulations but no big rocks or other obstructions.
LesterBoffo

Callsign: LesBof
Version: 2018.3.2

Postby gsagostinho » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:39 pm

Well, I think that talking about risk should also involve the capacities of the person performing the action. It's much less "risky" to have a trained Formula 1 driver to have a go at 300 km/h than to put me in that cockpit doing the same. One video shows a very young pilot who gets all pumped up when the plane barely stops in the mountain after an improvised landing while the other shows an experienced pilot performing dead stick TO and landings with clinic precision.
gsagostinho

Postby jbflight » Sun May 26, 2019 4:52 am

Kudos to Ray St. Marie for his post about KFFA ( the Wright Brother's airport ) . It really does have a short runway!

But FG has a plane for that!!! I have recently been playing around with it. It is the Pilatus P6 Porter ( A STOL utility aircraft ) STOL means Short Take-Off and Landing. It is a bit tricky. I have been trying the GPS Autopilot NAV capabilities and I think they are broken. I think it is because this plane was created long ago and it needs to be updated in that way. Because it is tricky I am liking it more. I am a bit crazy that way. Like taking off in the corsair. Anyway on my first attempt I was airborne about half that runway and landing I was too slow and dropped a little before the runway but stopped short of the numbers so this aircraft ( Pilatus ) really is a STOL. Anyone know where I can find a dirt runway on mountain in FG?
jbflight

Postby Johan G » Sun May 26, 2019 7:03 pm

jbflight wrote in Sun May 26, 2019 4:52 am:Anyone know where I can find a dirt runway on mountain in FG?

Little Hands (59CA) and Tenzing–Hillary Airport (VNLK) in Lukla come to mind. Little hands is rather short, but is probably no match for the Porter
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Oswald » Sun May 26, 2019 9:45 pm

You might want to try some of the airfields in Nepal, Lukla isn't the most difficult one.

See this video to Shangboche VNSB:

The Nepal VFR operations by St Paul Airlines include several short airports, some of which are damaged in flightgear and therefore a particular challenge.
See http://www.stpaulairlines.com/index.php?module=NukeWrapper&file=Nepal/New%20nepal.htm

A pair of images from that tour:

Approach to Bajura (VNBR)

Approach to Dolpha (VNDP)

Oswald
Oswald

Previous

Return to Real aviation