Board index Other Hangar talk Real aviation

Interesting Videos

The "real" thing.
Forum rules
Please refrain from discussing politics.

Re: Interesting Videos

Postby Johan G » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:30 pm

If I ever would start flying IRL, accidentally getting into IMC* as a non IFR** rated pilot would be one of the scary things that could happen. "Get-there-itis" (in essence time pressure) is one of the more psychological dangers with that (more so if you have passengers complaining).

FlightChops - Flying VFR into IMC - a top KILLER of pilots - My close call! (15 min)

He has more good videos too. One of my favorites is this one:

FlightChops - Scariest Take Off I've Ever Seen - Aircraft Performance and Personal Minimums (4 min)

* Instrument Meteorological Conditions
** Instrument Flight Rules
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby curt » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:41 pm

I haven't met Flight Chops myself, but my good friend Tim (who I worked closely with for 10+ years) gave him a hovering lesson. That's Tim in the left seat and Tim's enstrom helicopter in the video. Flightchops is a great youtube channel to subscribe to (for anyone who isn't already subscribed.)

Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics
University of Minnesota
curt
Administrator

Postby Johan G » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Good video. :D

Also:
If you are thinking about what to do next you are already behind.

I remember the first time I really tried to fly a helicopter in FlightGear* and had read in a bit and watched some tutorials on YouTube. Just as I had got the hover together I decided to reach for F3 (with my left hand, the right was still on the "collective"). Boom, instant crash. As I reached I a) let go of the hoover cognitively and b) moved the collective a couple of millimeters. The low hover did not help either. :oops: :lol:

* In essence not the time I tried to follow along a FGUK flight and made a complete mess. Crashed dozen or so times at the departure airport, and when I finally gave up and took a GA aircraft they where halfway to the destination.
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 3.0.0

Postby wlbragg » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:44 pm

Last two videos were really nice. Rotary is not for the faint of heart. You can really appreciate someone who flies them all day long.
Kansas(2-27-15)/Ohio/Midwest scenery development.
KEQA (2-27-15), 3AU, KRCP Airport Layout
wlbragg

Callsign: WC2020
Version: next

Previous

Return to Real aviation