Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

Help with radio commands

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

Re: Help with radio commands

Postby Chrison » Mon May 24, 2010 5:02 am

redneck wrote:Well, I think that's the current version. There may be problems if you park on a taxiway. The airports we ATC at are nicely modeled, so you'd do best to park at a gate :) Oh, make sure not to spawn on an active runway either. Start at a parking position or the inactive runway. Sometimes, ATCs will post the active runway(s) on the forum shortly before the start the event.

Thanks for that info, redneck. I certainly would not want to spawn somewhere where I'm in somebody's way or disrupting operations! If I decide to "lurk" at the next event, I'll probably contact either MD-Terp or one of the ATC's via PM or email, and get instruction on how to arrive in a proper manner.

Thanks, again, for the help...

Regards,

Chris

P.S. Btw, I'm guessing here, but I "think" I can figure out the active/inactive runways by looking at Metar before spawning. The inactive runways will probably be the ones with the crappiest wind directions... right?!?! :wink:
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Postby MD-Terp » Mon May 24, 2010 6:12 am

redneck wrote:Well, I think that's the current version.

Chrison, you can be sure to get the range-extended version by looking on TGA's "Charts and Resources" under "Downloads". That links to Tuxklok's modified FGCom version with the range extension.

redneck wrote:There may be problems if you park on a taxiway. The airports we ATC at are nicely modeled, so you'd do best to park at a gate :) Oh, make sure not to spawn on an active runway either. Start at a parking position or the inactive runway. Sometimes, ATCs will post the active runway(s) on the forum shortly before the start the event.

Chrison wrote:Thanks for that info, redneck. I certainly would not want to spawn somewhere where I'm in somebody's way or disrupting operations! If I decide to "lurk" at the next event, I'll probably contact either MD-Terp or one of the ATC's via PM or email, and get instruction on how to arrive in a proper manner. {...} I "think" I can figure out the active/inactive runways by looking at Metar before spawning. The inactive runways will probably be the ones with the crappiest wind directions... right?!?! :wink:

More or less, yes. 14/32 at KIND tends to be pretty safe most of the time, and 10/28 at KATL should be as well since I don't think the taxiways connecting it to the rest of the airport are modeled yet, LMAO! To be super-safe, spawn at a nearby airport and fly in -- our controller(s) will usually be happy to assist you. But really, the fact that you're at least vaguely aware that you need to stay out of the way speaks for 95% of your ability to do so. I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

But hey -- I really, really didn't mean to turn this whole thread into a TGA advertisement... haha.
Cheers,
-Rob.

"Retired" from FlightGear involvement as of July 2010.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8809
MD-Terp

Callsign: N531MD, AVA0025

Postby Chrison » Mon May 24, 2010 6:43 am

MD-Terp wrote:But hey -- I really, really didn't mean to turn this whole thread into a TGA advertisement... haha.

But yer not complaining, either, are ya!?! :wink: :lol:

Thanks for the info...

Regards,

Chris
"Even if you win the rat race, you're still a rat!" (Jackie Gleason)
My final approach announcement: "Seats up... Trays locked... Articles stowed... Seat belts on... And may God have mercy on your souls!"
Chrison

Callsign: Chrison, AVA0066

Previous

Return to FGCom