Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

FGCOM Testing Server fgcom.ddns.net

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

FGCOM Testing Server fgcom.ddns.net

Postby TheKezStrel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:07 am

Hi all!

I'm maintaining a new incarnation of the FGCOM server that FlightGear uses, and this thread is for all interested in helping me test it out.

Please send me testing reports on this thread so everyone can have input, and send me their experiences.

Testing Night
I'm planning a Many Users at once Testing Night this Thursday 14th at 21:30 GMT, and all are invited to participate.
In preparation for this **** I have populated the server with the full 2018.3.6 version frequency list **** All frequencies should be up and working as long as they were in the 2018.3.6 version of FG. I hope to upgrade this further by building the latest 2020 version of the frequency list and uploading to the server if all our tests work out satisfactorily.

Now, to answer some questions and testing results that were sent to the FGCOM Announcements thread before I started this one, specifically "Simworld2020"... and I'm sorry it's so long. :P

I think your connection issues on the 8th were because the server machine did updates and restarted. Since the testing server is in a VM on my machine at the minute, the VM did not automatically restart after these updates.

The music you hear at the moment is mostly default phone system exchange music that is installed with Asterisk, the server software that the FGCOM client connects to.
Asterisk is a telephone exchange software and handles MONO audio only at 8000hz via GSM, ulaw, and alaw audio codecs. All other codecs used have to be encoded on the fly and use CPU power to do.
When you "Echo test", use the FGCOM Dialog box to do so because that causes the FGCOM client to open both mic and speaker. If you are an aircraft, you have either mic working or speaker, but not both. Only echo testing done on the dialog box or with a correctly formatted FGCOM External command line will give live audio return.

For Pilot external FGCOM sessions you need to pass the following as arguments to your fgcom binary. Your callsign would be what you are using in FlightGear and not guest, although it works for testing...
--server=fgcom.ddns.net --host=127.0.0.1 --port=16661 --callsign=guest

To echo test with the External FGCOM, pass these arguments to your FGCOM Binary --server=fgcom.ddns.net --frequency=910

Radio Static.
This will be coming from your COM2, usually because FlightGear does a "Text to speech" conversion of metar data and adds an amount of static to the generated voice to simulate distance from the ATIS station. Turn off COM2 when completing further tests or swap it to a known nearby ATC frequency to stop the static.

FGCOM Status Page (fgcom.flightgear.org)
This unfortunately is out of my control at the moment. Any test calls on my server do not show up on the above status page since the status page is running on the original FGCOM server.

COM2 Transmit
Check your keyboard Layout Settings for which key to press to activate COM2 transmit. Or if you have a joystick, you can map COM2 transmit to a different Joystick button than COM1. Built in FGCOM will use both COM1 and COM2 and you do not need any start-up options added.
External versions need a separate instance of FGCOM running for COM1 and COM2. Your start-up options in the simulator launcher need a further two lines added.
generic=socket,out,10,localhost,16661,udp,fgcom
generic=socket,out,10,localhost,16662,udp,fgcom

You then start up Two instances of FGCOM external that point to the ports opened in the start-up options. Looking at the arguments line from before, usually just by changing the port argument from 16661 for COM1 to 16662 for COM2 in another shortcut or shell script, you should be able to run both links or scripts simultaneously for COM1 and COM2 External together and they won't interfere with each other and be completely independent.

Specific Answers
A. Limit the test to COM1 unless there is a specific reason to also test on COM2.

Both may still be used and I'm hoping that people can get both COM1 and COM2 working in due time. However, for compatibility or to start, I personally will be focusing on COM1 Functionality.

B. Specify that it is not necessary to connect to the MP network in order to do these tests.

This is true, and is not a requirement to join Multiplayer to be testing the FGCOM Server. It just provides a live chat link to me if the voice system has issues or is re-booting whilst I have made a live change. When reloading, all existing audio links should still work and all new links are refused until the loading is completed.

C. Either include another --prop command to enable the appropriate dialog box options or instead specify which options in the dialog box must be checked.

I am not that up with what --prop commands I need to give you to sort this out immediately since I was given the ones I have from a code ticket when I started this endeavour. However, always load the FGCOM dialog, Close it and Load it again to see that the server has been selected and not set back to Default. My server will have hold music on 911.000 Music Box.

Also, 700.000 Radio Station works. The Radio Station Frequency plays one sound file ONCE, then hangs up. I was thinking it would be good for Versioning the test sequence at the moment as you suggested as it takes too much getting rid of all music out of the server as it's in multiple folders in different areas. Also just to put it back when the server is about to go "into service" seems too much fuss.

Radio Tuning Range in cockpit
This seems like it's in keeping with reality ( all HF/VHF radio sets do not go up to the 900MHZ range.) Since the F12 radio stack is part of the simulator and not an aircraft that's loaded into the simulator, 900MHZ+ tuning is possible though the dialog to frequencies built into FlightGear. Tuning to random high frequencies (900MHZ+) or frequencies that the simulator does not recognise could cause the simulator or FGCOM, both Built-in and External, to crash. Only use known frequencies in tuning the radio.
Last edited by TheKezStrel on Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Currently setting up a new FGCOM server. Testing server fgcom.ddns.net is available again from Monday. Select fgcom.ddns.net in the MULTIPLAYER/FGCOM Dialog box in FlightGear.
TheKezStrel

Callsign: G-P1CK
Version: 2020.3.19

Re: FGCOM Testing Server fgcom.ddns.net

Postby benih » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:22 am

I try to join on Thursday, 21:00 UTC; where do we meet and on which frequency?
Shall i try the internal FGCom of 2020.4, or an external version?
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby TheKezStrel » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:46 am

We could try both internal and external variants. I am also interested in how the new 2020.4 would hold up. I would say Belfast Aldegrove EGAA as we can do more tests with the ATIS system there as I have managed to get the ATIS voice recording and playback working.
Currently setting up a new FGCOM server. Testing server fgcom.ddns.net is available again from Monday. Select fgcom.ddns.net in the MULTIPLAYER/FGCOM Dialog box in FlightGear.
TheKezStrel

Postby TheKezStrel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:23 pm

*** Tonights FGCOM Server testing ***

Due to an issue with my broadband provider, I have been having issues with my internet for the past 24 hours. The broadband provider says that nothing is wrong their end and it should be working. I have the same issues weather connecting over broadband or tethering via my mobile, yet using the internet directly on the mobile works. We may not be able to get a stable connection tonight, so please try and connect but don’t worry if you can’t. I hope to have normal operations soon as they said they’re re-booting the DNS servers and it may take up to 24 hours to get things back to normal. Will have to re-range if people cannot connect and normal service is not resumed before 9:30pm this evening.
TheKezStrel

Postby benih » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:42 pm

What will be the frequencies like, can you please provide a list?
See you later (in case it works)
benih

Postby TheKezStrel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:29 pm

We will use the global 123.450 and EGAA tower 118.300 frequencies. Just brewing a coffee and should be ready very soon.

Using openradar, I have 2 radios working simultaneously and will be monitoring both frequencies when I return from making a coffee!

I have seen a few minutes ago someone did manage to connect and use the server, so I’m hoping things are working after my provider issues earlier.

Testing till Midnight at EGAA.
TheKezStrel

Postby TheKezStrel » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:04 pm

Online now
TheKezStrel

Postby TheKezStrel » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:56 pm

SERVER STATUS UPDATE

FGCOM Testing server fgcom.ddns.net will be offline for a while due to system upgrades and new hardware.
I will bring it back up shortly, hoping for only 1-2 days downtime

This is whilst I'm setting up my new main games tower and installing a dedicated FGCOM server box instead of running the FGCOM server inside a Virtual Machine on my main machine as it is now.

Hopefully, Will be available for more testing of FGCOM and to help out with the development of the FG/Mumble client once this upgrade has been completed.

Best Regards to all,
Kez.
TheKezStrel

Postby LameBMX » Wed May 05, 2021 2:37 am

TheKezStrel wrote in Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:56 pm:SERVER STATUS UPDATE

FGCOM Testing server fgcom.ddns.net will be offline for a while due to system upgrades and new hardware.
I will bring it back up shortly, hoping for only 1-2 days downtime

This is whilst I'm setting up my new main games tower and installing a dedicated FGCOM server box instead of running the FGCOM server inside a Virtual Machine on my main machine as it is now.

Hopefully, Will be available for more testing of FGCOM and to help out with the development of the FG/Mumble client once this upgrade has been completed.

Best Regards to all,
Kez.

Curious if the fgcom has been online? if unable to host, can you let us know the impact of hosting?
LameBMX

Postby TheKezStrel » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:55 am

***UPDATE***

It has been a while since I have posted here about updates about progress regarding my FGCOM server implementation. Real life has been hectic and, unfortunately this project has taken a back burner. Work constraints have not given me much chance to continue with debugging or further development of the server required to get an FGCOM instance working correctly.

However, with the implementation of Benih's FGCOM-Mumble communications system, and the newer 8.33mhz frequencies that have been put into the base install of FlightGear, I feel that the only use for the current build of my FGCOM server would be for legacy installs (versions prior to LTS).

I have not completely given up on the project, although I have dedicated most of my time now to actual work and looking after my elderly father.

Should I get the time to re-visit this project in the near future, I will see about updating it for the newer 8.33mhz channels and try to increase compatibility with newer versions of the base server that the software runs on and compatibility with future releases of FlightGear.

I will keep you posted as and when I make any further headway in this regard.

Best regards to all,
TheKezStrel
TheKezStrel

UPDATE - The latest on the FGCOM test Server project

Postby TheKezStrel » Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:42 am

Hey all,

Just a quick update on how things have been going so far with regard to me building an update FGCOM server.

It's been a hell of a few months since I last looked at this. Real life sometimes sucks the round and hairy's real bad.
My father had been diagnosed with COPD and I am trying to help support him as much as I can.
Work was a pain in the backside and always busy.
Work has just ended for a few months because I have to get some Licenses updated that will take a while, so any time I'm not helping out with dad with his current medical issues or about the house, I can dedicate the extra time into making the server available and trying to trim a 7mb config file down to like 100kb or less without loosing functionality.
It's a bit of an ask, but if I can do that with the current hardware at my disposal, a cloud solution may be possible with more bandwidth or a hosting box at a friends place who has cable with 300mb/s+ down, 100mb/s+ upload.

Here's hoping that I can spend some time over the next few weeks on this and hopefully come up with a solution.
I will post more updates here as I go along. Hope I don't keep you all waiting.

TheKezStrel (Kez)
G-P1CK
TheKezStrel

Postby benih » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:44 am

Thx for the update :)

Wish you all good
benih

Postby TheKezStrel » Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:09 am

Thanks Benih, Means a lot.
If you're up for a testing sesh at some point again, you can at any time.

For everyone , I'm leaving the server running AS IS for testing for anyone to come join testing the system as long as my computer is turned on. (test server is in a VM at the moment. Will be on a physical box when deployed.) Please PM me here with details of how you got on with the voice comms server once you have tested it.

To test, If you're using FGCOM built-in, you MUST add the two lines below to your start-up options in FlightGear under "Settings / Additional Settings"

--prop:/sim/fgcom/server=fgcom.ddns.net
--prop:/sim/fgcom/selected-server=fgcom.ddns.net

Load FlightGear at either Heathrow (EGLL), RAF Waddington (EGXW), or Belfast Aldegrove (EGAA).

When Loaded, open the Multiplayer Menu and Click "FGCOM Settings". Make sure both
the "Enabled" check box is checked and the "Display messages" is Checked. Turn "Enabled" off and on again (to be sure). Now Check the "Echo test" box. If all goes to plan, you should hear your own voice with "Call 0 accepted, Echo-Box-KP, Call 0 answered" . Turn "Echo test" off and exit the dialog box.

If you got to this point, FGCOM Built-in is Set Up correctly to use the test server.

For external FGCOM users / testers, the usual "--generic=socket,out,2,127.0.0.1,16661,udp,fgcom" must be added to your start-up options instead and should be the only line you need to add.

For External / Stand alone clients, you should be running your FGCOM Binary like this. I'm on windows, but the options are universal after the binary file. This string of arguments has worked well for me in testing so far.
[enter your system's path to ]fgcom.exe "--server=fgcom.ddns.net --host=127.0.0.1 --port=16661 --silence-threshold=-50 --debug"
From a desktop link, windows needs the arguments in speech marks, from command line, it does not. Make sure your PORT number matches what you entered in your start-up options else FlightGear won't be able to command FGCOM to change Channels.

That should be it. hope it works ok for you. Tune your radio stack into any of these frequencies when you are nearby the three testing airports and it should work. If you feel adventurous, Try recording ATIS with FGCOM External / Standalone.

[GENERAL CHANNELS]
Available anywhere, These channels {should} always work.

Tune to 700mhz for a radio station demo test. it will play one sound file then disconnect.
Tune to 911mhz for "MOH" Music test. This will play through a folder of music on the server until you disconnect.
Tune to 123.450 for Air2Air1 channel (Worldwide)
Tune to 122.750 for Air2Air2 Channel (Worldwide)

[AIRPORT CHANNELS - Usually within 100nm]
EGAA Belfast Aldergrove 121.750 GND
EGAA Belfast Aldergrove 128.800 unnamed entity
EGAA Belfast Aldergrove 128.200 ATIS (Loops one sound file, Can Be Recorded over with External FGCOM and the correct Command line)
EGAA Belfast Aldergrove 128.500 APP
EGAA Belfast Aldergrove 120.900 DIRECTOR
EGAA Belfast Aldergrove 118.300 TWR
EGAA Belfast Aldergrove 128.190 ATIS (Loops one sound file, Can Be Recorded over with External FGCOM and the correct Command line)
EGXW RAF Waddington 123.300 Waddington Departure
EGXW RAF Waddington 125.350 Waddington Tower
EGLL London Heathrow 128.075 Heathrow Information
EGLL London Heathrow 124.475 Heathrow Tower
EGLL London Heathrow 121.900 Heathrow Ground
EGLL London Heathrow 134.975 Heathrow Director
EGLL London Heathrow 121.975 Heathrow Delivery

[NAVIGATION CHANNELS - MORSE CODE]
GAM GAMSTON VOR-DME 112.800
LOZ LONDON VORTAC 116.100
BEL BELFAST VOR-DME 117.200

[ATIS RECORDING]

FGCOM EXTERNAL / STANDALONE ONLY (That I Know of), the two commands needed to test out ATIS recording for EGAA (2 ATIS Beacons, both independent of each other i.e. they can have a unique message each, Max 65 sec.)

fgcom.exe "--server=fgcom.ddns.net --silence-threshold=-50 --atis=128.200 --airport=EGAA --debug"
or
fgcom.exe "--server=fgcom.ddns.net --silence-threshold=-50 --atis=128.190 --airport=EGAA --debug"

Where --atis=[frequency of the right ATIS to record] --airport[ICAO code of the airport you are recording the ATIS for]
TheKezStrel

Postby benih » Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:52 pm

Tried to do a test at Belfast, at a GA parking position.
But i was not able to succeed with an Echotest.
benih

Postby TheKezStrel » Sat Jan 06, 2024 1:23 am

Thanks for the attempt Benih.

To All,

There's a better way to test now, the server is in the Multiplayer / FGCOM settings Dialog box so no external FGCOM client is needed.

Press the arrow at the end of the yellow box fgcom.flightgear.org Avignon, France And select fgcom.ddns.net Lincoln, UK.
Enable and disable then Enable again, the first check box "Enabled" to ensure server switchover.
You should then be able to echo test right out that dialog box.
Close the dialog with "Enabled" checked.
It should work straight away! It's currently set up to accept ALL frequencies the simulator can throw at it and put all pilots on the same frequency in the same channel on the voice server - BUT YOU HAVE TO BE ON THE E X A C T SAME FREQUENCY within 100nm of each other.
Kez
TheKezStrel

Next

Return to FGCom