Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

New to FGCom but I can't talk to anyone?

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

New to FGCom but I can't talk to anyone?

Postby Bsaiq » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Hey everyone,
I'm new to FG com and I'm really keen to get using it as a pilot. I try to connect to multiple servers and I talk (I test the echo) and I never get any response or see any ATC.
is there a way I can plan my flights so I go to airports with ATC?
Many thanks
Bsaiq

Re: New to FGCom but I can't talk to anyone?

Postby wkitty42 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:54 pm

FGCom only communicates with others near you... if you can see them in the in-sim map, then you should be able to talk back and forth if both of you are using FGCom... many people do not use it because it got a bad reputation and wasn't fixed like users thought it should be... those fixes and update have been done in the last year or two and things should be better but many still push back and prefer to use mumble instead... using mumble is definitely not realistic because it allows you to talk to someone flying on the opposite side of the world which cannot happen IRL...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby D-ECHO » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:33 am

You can have a look at this page: http://fgcom.flightgear.org/ AFAIK it lists every user currently online on FGCom and which frequency they are using.
D-ECHO

Postby Johan G » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:43 am

wkitty42 wrote in Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:54 pm:if you can see them in the in-sim map, then you should be able to talk back and forth if both of you are using FGCom...

But only if both of you are tuned to the same frequency. :wink:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby wkitty42 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:18 pm

yes, i should have added that to my original when i made it bold...
"You get more air close to the ground," said Angalo. "I read that in a book. You get lots of air low down, and not much when you go up."
"Why not?" said Gurder.
"Dunno. It's frightened of heights, I guess."
wkitty42

Callsign: wk42
Version: git next

Postby benih » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:29 pm

I also experience some troubles. The connection seem unstable overal.

I got it to work with the deault settings + some local fgcom standalone instance to listen to myself and that worked. until it didn't.
I looks like the connection is not that stable and once it got hanged up, its hard to reestblish.

To test that i did a ping test to the fgcom server and it showed sporadic packet loss.
I own a dedicated server and tried it there too - with a better result (packet loss was way more seldom)

So i tried the following:
- establish a ssh TCP session with local port forwarding, and attaching a UDP listener and sender to fgcom server to it:
Code: Select all
local: ~$ ssh myServer -L 6000:localhost:6001
myServer:~$ mkfifo /tmp/fgcom_fifo; nc -v -l -p 6001 < /tmp/fgcom_fifo | nc -u fgcom.flightgear.org 4569 > /tmp/fgcom_fifo

- locally i also did this fifo/udp/tunnel thing:
Code: Select all
local:~$mkfifo /tmp/fgcom_fifo; nc -l -u -p 4569 < /tmp/fgcom_fifo | nc localhost 6000 > /tmp/fgcom_fifo

This looked stable so far. Sometimes the nc connection breaks and then i need to restart that piece.

Somehow, but still, the connections sometimes break and could not be reestablished. I don't know why.
The main problem with this is that: you cannot be sure the connection is there when you try to communicate and debugging all that while on approach is a little hard.
The system should be reliable, so the underlying infrastructure is out of the equation, so only mistuned radios etc remain....

I guess this is a result of using UDP for communication.

Is the central fgcom server overloaded from traffic or something?
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby TheKezStrel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:12 pm

FGCom server been broken for a while because of the configuration files. I have an up to date configuration that works, I'm trying to get hold of the server admin to give the files over and re-instate FGCom to it's glory.
Currently setting up a new FGCOM server. Testing server fgcom.ddns.net is available again from Monday. Select fgcom.ddns.net in the MULTIPLAYER/FGCOM Dialog box in FlightGear.
TheKezStrel

Callsign: G-P1CK
Version: 2020.3.19

Return to FGCom