Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

FGCOM: Audio problem

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

FGCOM: Audio problem

Postby simulant » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:16 pm

Hi!

I just tried FGCOM: On my laptop and on the gaming PC, I started Flightgear, placed the cessnas both on EDLN, and tuned to 121.92 MHz.
Then I started on both machines the echo test: it worked.
Ok, then, press space and hear: But in neither direction nothing was to hear.

So I started wireshark to see wheather the audio is transmitted. Wireshark allows for sniffing the network traffic and you can save the iax2 autio streams to one file for each direction. I did that. Result: Yes! The audio from the gaming pc reached my laptop and the audio from my laptop was correctly sent to the fgcom asterisk server.
But I could not hear it.

EDIT: Windows 10 on both computers.

Does anyone else do have this or a similar problem?
Any idea what might be the cause?

Best regards,
Simulant.
simulant

Re: FGCOM: Audio problem

Postby ulee61 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:46 pm

Hi

I have nearly the same problem. Using FG 2019.1.1 on W7.
FGCom works perfectly with the echo test, wireshark shows the traffic.
The PTT feedback [checkbox] while pressing the space key works as well.
Then...switching to "normal", nothing more happens, absolutely no network traffic to the FGCom server.
by the way, the live status page (http://fgcom.flightgear.org/) shows null entries...
Will try later with a UNIX setup.

Best reagrds,
Ulrich
ulee61

Version: 2020.3.11

Postby ulee61 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi again

Did the test on Ubuntu, FG 2019.1.1exactly the same behavior.
Strange...no idea
ulee61

Postby ulee61 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 pm

General information about FGCom (as far as it seems logical to me...)
Problem: FGCom echo mode and PTT works as expected, but no network traffic (wireshark) when talking over the air.

Assumption 1:
The client already filters radio frequences that are not supported at the current position of the plane ==> no data sent

Assumption 2:
Using a frequance from a nearby tower (for example), upon pressing PTT the channel opens and data flows (wireshark).
After a short moment, the FGCom server disconnects the stream
==> data is only sent when there's at least a second radio/aircraft in the same region on the same frequency

Can someone confirm this behavior?
Thanks
ulee61

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:13 am

ulee61 wrote in Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:01 pm:General information about FGCom (as far as it seems logical to me...)
Assumption 1:
The client already filters radio frequences that are not supported at the current position of the plane ==> no data sent

Assumption 2:
Using a frequance from a nearby tower (for example), upon pressing PTT the channel opens and data flows (

FGCom simulates both range and availability so you will not transmit or receive when out of range or when using a frequency that isn't in range of the tuned frequency; except for the following 'special' frequencies

FGCom is built ontop of asterisk; and thus acts much like a telephone PBX - with the frequencies being mapped to numbers.

So when out of range or no frequency available (and not using special frequency) FGCom will not initiate a call and you will not be visible on http://fgcom.flightgear.org/
Richard

Version: Git

Postby benih » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:59 pm

Hi there,
i tried to setup an askerisk FGCom server locally in my LAN to test things out a little.
However there was the hint that i need to deploy some "fgcom.inc" and also askerisk is complaining it cant find it.
Whis is no wonder, i was not able to get information how to obtain it.

I did prepare the positions.txt and fgcom.conf however.

Of coure i cannot connect. What do i miss?

(i followed http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Set_up_a_FGCom_server)

[edit] i have given up on this and implemented a mumble alternative: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=37644
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby TheKezStrel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:07 pm

I have managed to get an asterisk server up and going in the cloud but do not have the resources to open it up to the public. I'm building the "frequencies" into the PBX now. I'd like to get in touch with the server admin fro fgcom.flightgear.org so i can pass on my configuration files to get the main server running again.
TheKezStrel

Callsign: G-P1CK
Version: 2020.3.19

Postby benih » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:14 pm

Please share your results to see this up in the wiki! Thanks!
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX
Version: next

Postby TheKezStrel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:26 pm

Building the main "phonebook" and "dialplan" in the server at the minute. I will pm you a server address to add into your fgcom switches. If using the FGCom Builtin, it's harder to connect to another server except the "default". Also It's only online when I am working on it. I do need testers when it's fully populated with all the airports.

Kez.
Currently setting up a new FGCOM server. Testing server fgcom.ddns.net is available again from Monday. Select fgcom.ddns.net in the MULTIPLAYER/FGCOM Dialog box in FlightGear.
TheKezStrel

Postby TheKezStrel » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:06 pm

My FGCOM Testing server update.....

Currently using asterisk version 16 as base telephony system for the server, and a trimmed down airport / frequency database for a micro cloud server since the complete one kills the server before it can load fully. I need a bigger system to be able to implement the complete airport / frequency list.
All builds of FGCOM I can get my hands on seem to connect and echo fine with it....

***HOWEVER***
In an actual use situation, you can't seem to switch frequencies more than three times before Flightgear dies or the FGCOM external application crashes / force closes. Sometimes it's only change frequencies once, others it's 5 to 10 times. It's quite unstable, but most crashes happened at three frequency changes. This has been the same for all versions I have managed to test so far. I believe that this is either due to a change in the FGCOM code since it was *last working stable* about 10 or so years ago or a change in how the server's asterisk base version handles the implementation of the IAX protocol that was built into all modern FGCOM clients including the Flightgear Built in version. I expect that Flightgear can't handle the FGCOM part of the build crashing, so force closes the entire simulator.

There is also an issue with server disconnects, that i'm sure are a server issue at the moment. The server "pings" the client (FGCOM) which does not respond, and the server drops the connection after about a minute of silence.

***FUTURE***
My test server works for a flight session using static frequencies. Situations like this would be a fly-in to an ATC controlled airport after setting destination radio frequency on startup via --prop or flight training at a set airport.

I'm looking into configuration options to eliminate or reduce the disconnect from server issue. I will try and keep you updated with this.

Someone to help diagnose the connection issues between current FGCOM client and my server and see WHY the client crashes at an average of three frequency changes. Preferably someone who has debugging experience.

That's it for now, But i'm still working on the server side issues. I may even have to try different versions of the base Asterisk install to see if these have a noticeable effect on disconnects or frequency changes.

Kez
(TheKezStrel)
Currently setting up a new FGCOM server. Testing server fgcom.ddns.net is available again from Monday. Select fgcom.ddns.net in the MULTIPLAYER/FGCOM Dialog box in FlightGear.
TheKezStrel

Postby TheKezStrel » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:17 am

FGCOM Testing Server update 2020/12/23 02:00

More progress has been made with regard to the stability of my FGCOM Testing Server, with thanks to lru, one of our IRC chatroom participants this evening.

I have had to downgrade the base operating system to one that runs a 32bit system and not x64(amd) system. This is to enhance functionality and stability of the current client software architecture.
Base Asterisk version has been lowered and is more stable with all FGCOM v3+ external instances that I have personally tested so far.
Using the Internal FGCOM on build 2020.1.3 still has the three frequency change issue and still disconnects. Both my tester this evening and myself were having audio issues with the built in version. When running external FGCOM on windows, this produced the best personal results. All versions I have tested seem to switch channels correctly, though FGCOM Client 3.4.0 built Feb 15 2015 has had the best stability and compatibility so far with regard to long connect times with no audio going over the VOIP link and Frequency switching.

FCGOM -Testing server is in ALPHA STAGE for diagnostics and testing.

I invite you all to try and use the server at test airports EGXW (RAF Waddington) and EGLL (Heathrow) with an external FGCOM client that is provided with your FlightGear install and share your results. Using the built in FGCOM is slightly trickier and still has force crashes at present. Nevertheless, you are welcome to try and give feedback.

If you are already set up for using FGEXTEND with mumble, you can run an external FGCOM instance straight away.

If this will be your first time setting up for FGEXTEND or an external FGCOM, please add the line
--telnet=5401 --generic=socket,out,2,127.0.0.1,6661,udp,fgcom
to your startup settings in the FlightGear Launcher.

Run External FGCOM

For me on Windows ( yeah i know!) my shortcut is this, with my callsign added at the relevant spot without the square brackets.
"C:\Program Files\FlightGear 2020.1.3\bin\fgcom.exe" --server=fgcom.ddns.net --host=127.0.0.1 --port=16661 --callsign=[MAX 7 CHARACTERS AND SHOULD BE YOUR MULTIPLAYER CALLSIGN] --username=guest --password=guest

You should have a command window open with FGCOM loaded.

Run Your FlightGear Session.

Available global frequencies are
EchoTest (910.000)
Music Box (911.000) - to check if you can hear the audio stream from the server
Air2Air 1 (122.750)
Air2Air 2 (123.450)

Airfield Frequencies are
EGXW Waddington Departure 123.300
EGXW Waddington Tower 125.350

EGLL Heathrow Information 128.075
EGLL Heathrow Tower 124.475
EGLL Heathrow Ground 121.900
EGLL Heathrow Director 134.975
EGLL Heathrow Delivery 121.975

These are the only frequencies I have loaded at the moment, with more to be added if stability is good. Also looking at setting up a more permanent server should this work.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing your experiences.

Kez
TheKezStrel

Return to FGCom