Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

FGCOM: Audio problem

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

FGCOM: Audio problem

Postby simulant » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:16 pm

Hi!

I just tried FGCOM: On my laptop and on the gaming PC, I started Flightgear, placed the cessnas both on EDLN, and tuned to 121.92 MHz.
Then I started on both machines the echo test: it worked.
Ok, then, press space and hear: But in neither direction nothing was to hear.

So I started wireshark to see wheather the audio is transmitted. Wireshark allows for sniffing the network traffic and you can save the iax2 autio streams to one file for each direction. I did that. Result: Yes! The audio from the gaming pc reached my laptop and the audio from my laptop was correctly sent to the fgcom asterisk server.
But I could not hear it.

EDIT: Windows 10 on both computers.

Does anyone else do have this or a similar problem?
Any idea what might be the cause?

Best regards,
Simulant.
simulant

Re: FGCOM: Audio problem

Postby ulee61 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi

I have nearly the same problem. Using FG 2019.1.1 on W7.
FGCom works perfectly with the echo test, wireshark shows the traffic.
The PTT feedback [checkbox] while pressing the space key works as well.
Then...switching to "normal", nothing more happens, absolutely no network traffic to the FGCom server.
by the way, the live status page (http://fgcom.flightgear.org/) shows null entries...
Will try later with a UNIX setup.

Best reagrds,
Ulrich
ulee61

Postby ulee61 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:11 pm

Hi again

Did the test on Ubuntu, FG 2019.1.1exactly the same behavior.
Strange...no idea
ulee61

Postby ulee61 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 pm

General information about FGCom (as far as it seems logical to me...)
Problem: FGCom echo mode and PTT works as expected, but no network traffic (wireshark) when talking over the air.

Assumption 1:
The client already filters radio frequences that are not supported at the current position of the plane ==> no data sent

Assumption 2:
Using a frequance from a nearby tower (for example), upon pressing PTT the channel opens and data flows (wireshark).
After a short moment, the FGCom server disconnects the stream
==> data is only sent when there's at least a second radio/aircraft in the same region on the same frequency

Can someone confirm this behavior?
Thanks
ulee61

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:13 am

ulee61 wrote in Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 pm:General information about FGCom (as far as it seems logical to me...)
Assumption 1:
The client already filters radio frequences that are not supported at the current position of the plane ==> no data sent

Assumption 2:
Using a frequance from a nearby tower (for example), upon pressing PTT the channel opens and data flows (

FGCom simulates both range and availability so you will not transmit or receive when out of range or when using a frequency that isn't in range of the tuned frequency; except for the following 'special' frequencies

FGCom is built ontop of asterisk; and thus acts much like a telephone PBX - with the frequencies being mapped to numbers.

So when out of range or no frequency available (and not using special frequency) FGCom will not initiate a call and you will not be visible on http://fgcom.flightgear.org/
Richard

Version: Git

Postby benih » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Hi there,
i tried to setup an askerisk FGCom server locally in my LAN to test things out a little.
However there was the hint that i need to deploy some "fgcom.inc" and also askerisk is complaining it cant find it.
Whis is no wonder, i was not able to get information how to obtain it.

I did prepare the positions.txt and fgcom.conf however.

Of coure i cannot connect. What do i miss?

(i followed http://wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Set_up_a_FGCom_server)

[edit] i have given up on this and implemented a mumble alternative: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=37644
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX

Postby TheKezStrel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:07 pm

I have managed to get an asterisk server up and going in the cloud but do not have the resources to open it up to the public. I'm building the "frequencies" into the PBX now. I'd like to get in touch with the server admin fro fgcom.flightgear.org so i can pass on my configuration files to get the main server running again.
TheKezStrel

Postby benih » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:14 pm

Please share your results to see this up in the wiki! Thanks!
benih

Callsign: D-EBHX

Postby TheKezStrel » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:26 pm

Building the main "phonebook" and "dialplan" in the server at the minute. I will pm you a server address to add into your fgcom switches. If using the FGCom Builtin, it's harder to connect to another server except the "default". Also It's only online when I am working on it. I do need testers when it's fully populated with all the airports.

Kez.
TheKezStrel

Return to FGCom