Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

_Listening_ to FGCom ATIS?

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

_Listening_ to FGCom ATIS?

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:46 am

Hi all,
Can I listen to ATIS from FGCom outside of FlightGear, and how? and how is it supposed to work inside FlightGear? (IIRC the FGCom and built-in ATIS play on top of each other, and my last attempt was unsuccessful)
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Re: _Listening_ to FGCom ATIS?

Postby mickybadia » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:33 am

Hello,

Parnikkapore wrote in Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:46 am:Can I listen to ATIS from FGCom outside of FlightGear, and how?

The normal answer is that you can tune in the frequency with a regular FGCom client, using the command line or your usual ATC client.
However, I noticed that in the last month ATIS messages were regularly recorded (currently two---they are visible on the fgcom.flightgear.org live update), but could not be listened to. Also, live connections are no more listed on that page (list always empty), though the echo test works. I am guessing this is for Kevin to have a look because obviously the service is up for some tasks but not completely operative.

Parnikkapore wrote in Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:46 am:and how is it supposed to work inside FlightGear? (IIRC the FGCom and built-in ATIS play on top of each other, and my last attempt was unsuccessful)

The FGCom channel is (normally) audible if "FGCom" is enabled in the MP menu. The synthesised METAR read-out is a different channel, one I remember that I could be turned off in older FG versions by disabling "ATC" in the sound config. However, that behaviour seems to have been discontinued. Not sure if this was intentional, nor what the new canonical way to get rid of it is.
mickybadia

Postby Parnikkapore » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:22 am

mickybadia wrote in Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:33 am:I noticed that in the last month ATIS messages were regularly recorded (currently two---they are visible on the fgcom.flightgear.org live update), but could not be listened to.

Gee, thanks! That explains everything.
(BTW the second ATIS, at VTSP, is mine :wink:)
There are free alternatives to (almost) every program you encounter. You just have to find them.
Parnikkapore

Callsign: HS-FGS
Version: next

Postby mickybadia » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:44 pm

Probably due to a discreet fix-up following my PM the other day regarding this issue, I have just noticed that everything is back to working normally. So I guess, thank you Saga.
Last edited by mickybadia on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickybadia

Postby Saga » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:37 am

Thank you mickybadia, for sending me a message. I'm really thankful for your help.
For the issue, the only thing I had to do is restart the connections tracking service. It was like... stuck in an infinite loop I guess (100% CPU usage).
It's a pity that this page was broke that long whereas the "fix" was immediate...

mickybadia wrote in Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:44 pm:However, I noticed that in the last month ATIS messages were regularly recorded (currently two---they are visible on the fgcom.flightgear.org live update), but could not be listened to.

It's weird. Are you sure that some users did not recorded empty messages ? Because it worked when I checked this out.
Host and maintainer of fgcom.flightgear.org.
Saga

Callsign: F-G0z
Version: Git next

Postby mickybadia » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:36 am

Saga wrote in Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:37 am:Are you sure that some users did not recorded empty messages ? Because it worked when I checked this out.

Pretty sure, because I think "empty" messages would still loop with the initial beep, whereas this sounded totally silent.

To address OP's other issue, do you know how to deactivate the synthesised ATIS for pilots? Because it unfortunately gets heard over the FGCom channel when turned on...
mickybadia

Return to FGCom