Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

FGCom standalone  Topic is solved

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

FGCom standalone

Postby Gui27 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:56 am

Good day,
I’m trying to install FGCom standalone on Ubuntu 14.04, but the link from the http://wiki.flightgear.org/FGCom_3.0#FGCom_standalone is not valid.

http://fgcom.flightgear.org/download/fg ... inux64.zip : Not Found - The requested URL /download/fgcom-3.4.0_linux64.zip was not found on this server.

I've tried to search around, but could not find anything...Any information where I can get it ?

Thanks
Gui27

Version: 2016.1

Re: FGCom standalone

Postby elgaton » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:13 am

I'm not the maintainer for fgcom.flightgear.org so I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think the standalone FGCom builds were discontinued as the program is now included by default in every default FlightGear installation. If you need FGCom for ATCing, OpenRadar includes a standalone build.

EDIT: you can still download them from the FlightGear Build Server (Windows build, Mac build, Linux build). I'm updating the Wiki now.
NIATCA 2nd admin, regular ATC at LIPX and creator of the LIPX custom scenery
elgaton

Callsign: I-ELGA/LIPX_TW
Version: Git

Postby Gui27 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:40 pm

Thanks elgaton,
I have downloaded the linux file, set run-fgcom.sh as executable and :
- double click doesn’t have any action.
- terminal : bash run-fgcom.sh returns : ./fgcom: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by ./fgcom)
I have looked and it should (or may have been) in the libstdc++6 package (which was already installed), so I don't know which more packet I should install...
If you could give me a little bit more help :)
Thanks
Gui27

Postby elgaton » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:35 pm

The error happens because, apparently, the build on the build server was generated with a different glibc version.

Quick question - if you open a terminal and run
Code: Select all
which fgcom

what is the result? Since you have FlightGear 3.4, FGCom should already be included in the FlightGear package (try looking for it in /usr/games/fgcom or /usr/bin/fgcom), so there's no need to download the standalone build (unless you need it for other reasons, such as ATCing on a computer where FG is not installed).
elgaton

Postby Gui27 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Hi,
which fgcom gives : /usr/bin/fgcom

I need to update my profile, as I have 2016.1, and would like the standalone to "spy" ATC without appearing as logged neither as pilot nor as ATC.
Gui27

Postby elgaton » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:42 pm

Perfect - the standalone is already included in your FG version, there's no need to download it separately. Just use /usr/bin/fgcom.

(By the way, keep in mind that not every ATC uses FGCom - some are only on text, while others use Mumble.)
elgaton

Postby Gui27 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:09 pm

ok, I'll have a look at the integrated "standalone", so far I could not make it work.
Did I understood well that there was a GUI for the standalone and possibility to choose an airport + frequency to listen to?
(I'll have a look at Mumble as well)
Gui27

Postby elgaton » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:34 pm

Gui27 wrote in Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:09 pm:Did I understood well that there was a GUI for the standalone and possibility to choose an airport + frequency to listen to?

There is one (mostly for Windows), called FGComGUI; however, it hasn't seen any activity in the last years (it was, in my opinion, more or less made obsolete by the direct integration of FGCom in FlightGear).

You can also run FGCom directly from the terminal as follows:
Code: Select all
fgcom --frequency=120.500 --airport=KSFO

(replace the airport code and the frequency as appropriate). To get the right frequency, run FlightGear, go to the airport you chose and click AI -> ATC Services in Range, then select the airport you're at from the list; you'll get a list of active radio frequencies. (Do not rely on aeronautical charts as the data used by FlightGear is quite out of date).
elgaton

Postby Gui27 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:48 pm

:)
GUI not really usefull, and it works with fgcom --frequency=120.500 --airport=KSFO
so that's fine for me :)
Thanks again,
Gui27

Return to FGCom