Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

The 100% CPU consumption problem

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

The 100% CPU consumption problem

Postby mickybadia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:42 pm

Hello,

I personally consider as a frustrating waste that the FGCom client was corrected a long time ago not to use up the CPU (by Saga after Daweed had brought up the problem) but that as far as I know, the corrected version is waiting somewhere in a repository without being used. Some have said they were waiting for that version to start using it.

We had agreed I could wait for FG 3.6 release to include it in ATC-pie easily, but 3.6 is seemingly stalled. Would we not have everything we need for me to integrate it now without waiting?

For example, I have never used the "dowload & compile" script but it seems I could just run it to produce an fgcom exe. If that is true, would I just need to run it on the four platform types to get them all as needed? If so, could you confirm right branch to clone to get the latest fix you have uploaded?

and if anybody is ready to help just tell, some tests will be required if we work something this way.

Cheers.
Last edited by mickybadia on Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickybadia

Re: The 100% CPU consumption problem

Postby bugman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:48 pm

The FGCom repository has not been touched for years:

Maybe it needs someone, like yourself, to push things along a little ;)

Regards,
Edward
bugman

Version: next

Postby Saga » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:46 pm

Hello !

@bugman: The FGCom repository url that you posted is no more updated. The FGCom client is included with the flightgear source here.

I can find a way to build a 32 and 64 bits version for GNU/Linux OS, but for Windows I don't have the tools to build. And I don't have a Mac computer to provide the binaries.
Host and maintainer of fgcom.flightgear.org.
Saga

Callsign: F-G0z
Version: Git next

Postby mickybadia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:08 pm

OK thanks for your reply! I do think that if we do not share these binaries, FGCom will not regain much attention soon since nothing will work out of the box. A shame for many, and probably for you as well since you are hosting the service.

I do not have Windows or Mac either, but a first test with Linux is a good way to start. So I will just wait and test when I get them from you, and hopefully other people can provide us with the rest later on.
mickybadia

Postby mickybadia » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:43 pm

Done!
ATC-pie-r8 now includes the new FGCom builds solving the CPU consumption problem. Reminder: FGCom includes the great ATIS recording feature, which is a lot of realistic fun for ATCs and entering or departing aircraft if used.
mickybadia

Postby Jet86 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:07 am

I have a few Macs so may be able to help out if you need. I may need to be walked through some steps though ;)
Jet86

Version: 2016.3.1

Postby mickybadia » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:36 am

Well vector has tested the new build with me and it seemed to work. But we could do with one more test if you want. You can get the latest ATC-pie and try out the resources/fgcom/mac/fgcom executable. The test is: tune in a regular frequency and check out your CPU usage, either with ATC-pie itself or with FlightGear.

NB: I am notifying WW in case he wants to upgrade his OpenRadar content as well.
mickybadia

Return to FGCom