Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

FGCom 3.5 & Openradar

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

Re: FGCom 3.5 & Openradar

Postby mickybadia » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:25 pm

What I said initially does mostly acquit the server as earlier clients do NOT induce CPU load.

Thanks for spotting that a frequency option is enough to avoid the problem, however I could not use it as a solution. Testing this live with another user (thank you Durandal) connected at EHAM on 119.25 with functional but loaded version, adding --frequency=123.5 or =123.45 (dummy but always available freqs) or =119.225 (the one to be tested) when invoking the client DOES stop the CPU load, but does not work. I was not heard on the frequency. Removing it DID work, though I had the load back of course.

What should we do? Anybody out there with any knowledge of the client code and willing to have a look?
mickybadia

Postby Saga » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:49 pm

If the frequencies 119.25 and 123.5 and 123.45 are rejected, that's because they are not registered in the fgcom list.
For this airport, here is what are registered : 128.8 ; 121.975 ; 119.225 ; 122.200 ; 121.700

I don't see the frequencies you have tested neither on FlightGear in ATC services in range nor on liveatc.

Can you test again please? :)

For the bug (CPU usage) of the FGCom client, as a C++ programmer, I could look into the code.

For the low permanent network usage: I asked on the asterisk IRC channel, and that sounds like I can't do anything, it seems to be mandatory for ConfBridge to keep a constant stream.
Host and maintainer of fgcom.flightgear.org.
Saga

Callsign: F-G0z
Version: Git next

Postby daweed » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:58 pm

Saga wrote in Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:29 pm:Sorry I was quite busy last few weeks.
And I feel sorry for these FGCom trust issues.

Hey, no problem,
you have bring some information here and that's great
I will test on my side about setting directly frequency for LFLL (TWR and APR) and check if it continue to eat my core , and i will report

Best regards
Windows 10 / Linux Mint 20
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X |32 Go RAM GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8 Go
FG Interface
Lyon Saint Exupery Scenery

ATC on LFLL on Friday 19:00 UTC => 22:00 UTC
daweed

Callsign: daweed

Postby mickybadia » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:11 pm

As I said I have tested it and the load disappears when I add the frequency in the options, but I could not be heard. Frequencies were NOT rejected:
- 119.225 is a local EHAM freq (sorry for the typo in one of my mentions of it)
- 123.45 is FG's 2nd A/A freq, always available

As far as ATC-pie & OpenRadar are concerned, these would anyway be "dummy" frequencies at start as a control packet is regularly sent with a frequency to use when PTT/listening. I do not know if a cmd-line option would block that though I would not think so.

I would not like to kill and restart a client everytime somebody changes a frequency.
mickybadia

Postby Saga » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:39 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

I just speak to my VoIP smartphone application and I was able to hear myself via fgcom standalone.

And as far as I remember, I was also victim of this "bug" with fgcom standalone that prevented me to be heard. Maybe it's normal, I don't know. But it works with fgfs.
I think fgcom standalone mute the microphone at startup and should be demuted by using the FG protocol to control fgcom. See here. Is that implemented in OpenRadar and ATC-pie?

And I think with sockets you can change the frequency without restarting the client, My opinion is that this is how fgfs deal with it.

EDIT: I just tested with ATC-pie, and everything seems to work. I connected my guitar (I don't have microphone available) to my computer using ATC-pie and I hear it via my smartphone on KSFO 120.5. And yes, 100% of CPU usage.
Last edited by Saga on Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Saga

Postby daweed » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:18 pm

Hello,

So as mickybadia said, when process are lauched by hand with frequency set up, cpu load is now OK
I can hear client connected to fgcom, but we can't be heard.
Maybe now there is a problem with OR , but i am not able (without help) to check if it's the PTT witch doesn't work, or if it's more deeper in the OR code (i am not able to read java)

But maybe we could find a way to force OR / ATC-pie to start process with this parameter.

I am going to try to ask to the author.

Best regards
FG Interface

daweed

Postby mickybadia » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:24 am

Saga wrote in Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:39 pm:I think fgcom standalone mute the microphone at startup and should be demuted by using the FG protocol to control fgcom. See here. Is that implemented in OpenRadar and ATC-pie?

Yes, both. See below.

Saga wrote in Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:39 pm:And I think with sockets you can change the frequency without restarting the client, My opinion is that this is how fgfs deal with it.

Yes, that was my point when I was referring to "control packets". I am sorry I thought you knew all about it.

ATC clients send UDP packets to running FGCom clients, most of the time children processes. Included in those packets are two specs relevant to our thread:
- PTT=0 to listen (mic muted); PTT=1 to speak (headphones/speaker deafened); this answers one of your concerns
- COM1_FRQ=xxx.xxx specifying the tuned frequency; I thought this made any --frequency option useless (thus my naming them "dummy start" freqs)

daweed wrote in Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:18 pm:But maybe we could find a way to force OR / ATC-pie to start process with this parameter.

That is *exactly* the test I have made the other day and was reporting on:
- somebody connected at EHAM with latest ATC-pie and integrated FGCom monitoring 119.225
- me connecting to same freq, same place, same version and all works though 100% CPU load (as Saga reports in his EDIT as well)
Then, I changed the code inside ATC-pie to add a --frequency=xxx option to the FGCom client start command, trying three different values for xxx, including the tested frequency. As I said, the load disappeared each time but I could not be heard any longer.

Apparently adding a --frequency option changes the behaviour in two surprising ways, which constitute my two main questions in view of finding a solution:

1. not heard any more
Why is that? Does the --frequency value block any subsequent COM1_FRQ changes? Note that even with --frequency=119.225 (launching FGCom) and COM1_FRQ=119.225 (tuned within the app), i.e. same frequency, I was not heard at the other end.

2. no more load
Why is that? Is the COM1_FRQ machanism that different to that of the command-line?
mickybadia

Postby mickybadia » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:50 am

Hello,

Since it appears it might take a while to come, I wanted to remind those watching this thread in hope of a solution to ease their CPU while still using FGCom with ATC-pie or OpenRadar that:
- prior versions of the FGCom client are still useable and I have noticed they do not load the CPU, even used with our new server;
- it is possible to start a custom FGCom client manually and connect to it from either ATC program.

In ATC-pie, this is done by adding an "external FGCom radio box" from the System menu and entering the localhost port your client is listening on. Should anybody wish to use an external client running on a different host, please tell and I'll extend the feature as it currently assumes 'localhost'.

For the moment however I would rather not revert to an old client internally as I remember it messed up the cross-platform property of ATIS recording, which is working now and I wish to ensure---after all this only a load problem and things are working anyway.

Let us see if/how this develops.
mickybadia

Postby Saga » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:15 pm

I've submitted a patch to solve this issue for FGCom standalone and it has been committed in the 3.6 branch: http://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/flightgear/ci/c365c3ac015a8c89623b1fa1aa2b638af17b2268/ of the flightgear repository. So it will be solved in FG3.6.
Saga

Postby mickybadia » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Cool. So it was a live waiting loop in the client code.
Do you know if there will be (or will you make) binaries available? I package executable FGCom versions in ATC-pie so that everything remains transparent to users (except for PyQt installation lol). At the time the FGCom website had them downloadable for all four platforms. I would appreciate being able to update them seemlessly as well.
mickybadia

Postby Saga » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:31 pm

I can create a page on the FGCom web site to download them when FG3.6 will be released. In ATC-Pie you don't need the run_fgcom and test_fgcom scripts right?
And can I just build 32 bits versions of FGom? Because, I saw that ATC-Pie includes a 32 and 64 bits version for Linux platforms.

It is unfortunate that the Jenkins build server, builds only 64 bits versions ; we could have used it to download FGCom...
Saga

Postby mickybadia » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:31 pm

Thank you for your proposal. I think it does make sense to provide binaries, regardless of ATC-pie.

Saga wrote in Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:31 pm:In ATC-Pie you don't need the run_fgcom and test_fgcom scripts right?

Correct. They were there because I packaged the builds just the way they were provided by Clément, but I do not need them.

Saga wrote in Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:31 pm:And can I just build 32 bits versions of FGom? Because, I saw that ATC-Pie includes a 32 and 64 bits version for Linux platforms.

Yes I have both. I think I remember the 32-bit version NOT working properly on my 64, so we might need a build but we shall see. I suppose I can make that one myself anyway.
mickybadia

Postby daweed » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:01 pm

Good evening evryone,
Does someone have news about issues on FGCom.?

I just check the fgcom.flightgear.org
No one connected
Client start with my radar client (try both ATC-Pie & OpenRadar) but i dont hear echo test, and seems that no one can answer. (and i don't appear on the FGCom client list ... :( )

Regards
FG Interface

daweed

Postby mickybadia » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:27 am

Yup,
See here as well. I have sent an email and PM to the maintainer who has not yet responded (message still in my outbox). Hopefully he will read it soon and know what to do.
mickybadia

Postby daweed » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:43 am

As you seems to be in touch with FGCom

2 question :

Can FG (the network) work with more than One FGCom server ? (if users are connected on 2 differents server on the same freq, can they talk to each other)

Where can i found documentation to requirement for a FGCom server ? (bandwith, hardware ...etc) and where can i have the documentation for installing and configuring FGCom Server.

I probably can provide online private server, but i need to check that requirement match with what is needed
FG Interface

daweed

PreviousNext

Return to FGCom