Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

[SOLVED]Help to get it working please?  Topic is solved

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

[SOLVED]Help to get it working please?  

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi there. I have the Win64 version of FGFS 3.2.0. I want to use FGCOM.

Can you tell me how to get it set up to work? I tried the gui and cmd (/bin fgcom -Sfgcom.flightgear.org -f910) which kind of worked, but it switched off and disconnected after a while. Then I tried enabling FGCOM built-in in FGRUN, but nothing. Only echo test works. Any help?
Last edited by legoboyvdlp on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legoboyvdlp

Callsign: G-LEGO
Version: next

Re: Help to get it working please?

Postby F-JJTH » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:14 pm

Did you read the documentation at http://wiki.flightgear.org/index.php/FGCom_3.0 ?
If the echo test is working it means that your FGCom is working, why do you think your FGCom is not working ?

The switch off/disconnect is expected: echo test is limited to 1 minute duration, after that you are automatically disconnected from the server because a "test" is not designed to be executed during a long time.

Keep in mind that FGCom is a communication system, in other words: if you are alone on the frequency there is nobody to talk with you. So if your definition of "not working" = "nobody talk to me" then I invit you to check that someone else is connected on the same frequency than you. You can check who is connected at htp://fgcom.flightgear.org

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Okay. No, its simply, once I go to MP > FGCOM Settings and enable it, that I get the call thing twice, then it stops with remote. This is with normal, not with echo test. I did read it, that's how I incidentally figured out how to enable it!

I have to try the standalone still
legoboyvdlp

Re: [SOLVED]Help to get it working please?

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:02 pm

Tried standalone, it worked, but the other guy disconnected from FGCOM before he could hear me. I thought I heard him say something.
legoboyvdlp

Postby F-JJTH » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:48 am

legoboyvdlp wrote in Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:38 pm:I get the call thing twice, then it stops with remote.

Maybe because you are not in range of the COM that you selected, in result you are disconnected from the frequency.
Keep in mind that FGCom is a realistic communication system who try to reproduce the real life communication system.
When you are on the ground, the range of your radio is less large than when you are in the air. So if your COM1 is on a frequency located at e.g 60nm then you have no chance to contact this frequency because your are too far away/low.
F-JJTH

Return to FGCom