Board index FlightGear Support Tools FGCom

How does one install on Win 8?

FGCom is a realtime voice communication system specially designed for FlightGear.

How does one install on Win 8?

Postby Lydiot » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:13 am

I've tried different ways, but it's VERY confusing. It looks like it should be very simple, but it is not.

I downloaded v3 from here, but that doesn't contain the OpenAL32.dll. I then grabbed that from another installation, and then I got the

"The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application"
message....

I at one point managed to get it up and running with a different installation attempt via the prompt, but then it said OpenAL32.dll wasn't installed (although it was).

This is all on a laptop on Win8 x64, wanting to run it standalone/with OpenRadar.

All I'm looking for is a simple and accurate set of links and instructions on how to install and run this. I've blown close to an hour on this. Very tedious.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Lydiot

Re: How does one install on Win 8?

Postby F-JJTH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:19 am

Hi,

You don't say if you downloaded the "Stable" or "Development" version :/ (I've re-uploaded the openal DLL for stable version)
It looks like Win8 has some problems with running a 64 bits applications...
I agree with you that Win8 is VERY confusing, I have a friend with Win8 but he is not able to use FGCom because Win8 require to "authorize an application to use the microphone". The problem it's impossible to tell to Win8 "Hey I want to authorize FGCom to use my microphone". If you know how to do it, please tell me (I'm a Linux user)

This is a simple and accurate instructions:
1) Download http://fgcom.flightgear.org/download/fg ... _win32.zip
2) Unzip the file where you want
3) Double click on "run_fgcom.bat"

Is it enough simple and accurate ?

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Lydiot » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Thanks Clément,

I will try this today and then report back.

PS: Yes, I've tried both 'stable' and 'dev' versions. The error I received never included authorizing the use of the microphone btw.
Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:32 pm

F-JJTH wrote in Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:19 am:This is a simple and accurate instructions:
1) Download http://fgcom.flightgear.org/download/fg ... _win32.zip
2) Unzip the file where you want
3) Double click on "run_fgcom.bat"

Is it enough simple and accurate ?

Regards,
Clément

Doesn't work. The launch window opens briefly then shuts down. Nothing else happens,

"OpenAI function alcOpenDevice failed with code 0"
Lydiot

Postby F-JJTH » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:58 am

yep that's exactly the problem that my friend has: FGCom fails to use the audio device (microphone in this case) because Win8 refuse to let FGCom use the microphone... and there is no possibility to say "hey let FGCom use my microphone!!!"
Windows is really really really annoying :-(
in the setting ( settings > confidentiality > microphone) currently I have "skype" and "windows recorder" who are authorized to use the micro but there no button "add an authorized software to use your micro" :-(

Thanks you Windows...

I invit you to contact a Windows technician to ask him how to solve this bug... or use Linux since Windows has clearly a bug :-)

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Johan G » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:23 am

F-JJTH wrote in Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:58 am:...or use Linux since Windows has clearly a bug :-)

What do you mean "has"?! Don't you mean "is". :roll: :wink: :lol:

PS. Windows (well at least up to Win 7, I have not yet run 8 ) seems ok for the most part, but my little Linux experience (Red Hat back in 1997 or 1998) leaves me inclined to the conclusion that Linux is more user friendly and logical as soon as you start to do just a little bit more than install self-extracting binaries. :roll:
Low-level flying — It's all fun and games till someone looses an engine. (Paraphrased from a YouTube video)
Improving the Dassault Mirage F1 (Wiki, Forum, GitLab. Work in slow progress)
Some YouTube videos
Johan G

Callsign: SE-JG
IRC name: Johan_G
Version: 2020.3.4

Postby Lydiot » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:07 pm

F-JJTH wrote in Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:58 am:yep that's exactly the problem that my friend has: FGCom fails to use the audio device (microphone in this case) because Win8 refuse to let FGCom use the microphone... and there is no possibility to say "hey let FGCom use my microphone!!!"
Windows is really really really annoying :-(
in the setting ( settings > confidentiality > microphone) currently I have "skype" and "windows recorder" who are authorized to use the micro but there no button "add an authorized software to use your micro" :-(

Thanks you Windows...

I invit you to contact a Windows technician to ask him how to solve this bug... or use Linux since Windows has clearly a bug :-)

Regards,
Clément

I do not see a "confidentiality" setting under "settings". Where do you click to get to this?
Lydiot

Postby F-JJTH » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:34 pm

As I said I'm not a Windows user but I found a french page who show you this: http://www.jenyburn.com/windows-8-1-com ... sonnelles/

You are insterested by the "D) Microphone" point. I hope you will be able to find a solution to this Win8 bug and tell us how to solve it.

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Lydiot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:17 am

I don't have that option (confidentiality) following that path.

Where can I find the exact wording or meaning of the error message?
Lydiot

Postby F-JJTH » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:05 am

The exact wording is what you posted above: "OpenAI function alcOpenDevice failed with code 0"
I means that OpenAL (the audio library used by FGCom in order to use your audio device) can't use your device.
Multiple reason dor this message:
- You have no microphone plugged in your computer (internal or external)
- You have wrong default settings in your audio settings (your micro has to be the default device)
- Win8 refuses to let FGCom uses your microphone because of the security settings of Win8

Regards,
Clément
F-JJTH

Postby Lydiot » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:23 pm

Well, the mic works and is internal in the laptop. No "default settings" are wrong as far as I see. It is selected and enabled. I see no security setting referring to it. Clearly whomever had that problem has a different version of the OS (i.e. 8.1) that is different or has some sort of custom OEM build that gives that extra feature, because I can't find the setting anywhere.

So it still leaves me with no idea of what's going on.
Lydiot

Postby Philosopher » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Hm, according to this site [1], it's only apps from the windows store which have the option, not desktop applications - so it looks like FGCom should be fine.
Philosopher

Return to FGCom